UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:43 am   #1
retailer
Heptode

Default Acceptable grid current ?

I have a bunch of older pre-amp triodes and a friend was wanting to use them, as they are over 80yrs old I ran them through the valve tester, they all tested good for shorts and gas and spot on for anode current and Gm, a few however have a whitish looking cloud on the inside of the glass, looks like the vacuum is not that great, looking closer there is a band of clear glass with no whitish deposit that is inline with the top of the anode, I tried to show it but it does not show up in the photos - maybe the vacuum is ok ? I rigged up the circuit shown and the grid current jumped between 1 and 2 uA on my Fluke 87, what is acceptable grid current for small signal valves the Avo user manual mentions grid current and how to measure but leaves it up to the user to determine what is acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_152157.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	240897   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_152219.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	240898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-09 170409.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	240899  
Old 9th Sep 2021, 10:07 am   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Acceptable grid current ?

It does seem a lot of grid current (I'd expect less than a tenth of that), although there is healthy-looking getter at the base of the envelope.

However, critically, you don't show the polarity of the LT supply in your diagram. If the supply is such that positive terminal is to HT- then you will have the other end at -2V, so with your -1.6V bias there's going to be 20% of the filament where the grid is positive to it. And that's going to make grid current flow.

As an aside - isn't it a thing of great beauty?
Old 9th Sep 2021, 11:30 am   #3
trobbins
Heptode

Do you have a working item of equipment that uses that valve in a cathode biased cicuit? You can measure the anode voltage with default grid leak resistance, and then short across the grid leak and see if the anode voltage changes. A leaky grid will cause a noticable change in anode voltage.

That's the easier way to check, as I assume you don't have a very high resistance input voltmeter to directly measure grid voltage (and hence grid current).
Old 11th Sep 2021, 12:37 am   #4
retailer
Heptode

A gas test on my AVO MKII was negative as was the gas test on a Taylor 45, I wasn't sure if the vacuum had deteriorated there is a good looking silvery deposit around the base of the glass but also a whitish mist around the top, I don't have any type of gear that I can just plug the valve into, I think I might take the time to breadboard a setup so I can test a selection of valves and compare them
Old 12th Sep 2021, 9:45 am   #5
retailer
Heptode

I tried a number of older valves 26, 56, 6J5 and 6SN7 with a breadboard type hookup and all showed 0.1uA grid current on my Fluke DMM - with the test probes just lying on the bench it reads 0.1uA and occasionally will briefly flick to 0.2uA, it only reads zero if I short the probes - pretty much what I would expect so I would say that none of the valves I checked had issues with vacuum. Then I thought did I really read the DMM display correctly when I checked the globe type triode, so I hooked that back up and sure enough it was 0.1uA, shorting a 470k resistor in series with the bias supply did nothing to the anode current - from this exercise I've learnt to trust my valve testers and make sure I read the DMM display correctly.
Closed Thread