UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2021, 8:06 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Angle grinder chainsaw disc attachment. Government Safety Warning.

Safety alert;
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...ZmUVyJYQtHqzGU
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 8:27 am   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Angle grinder chainsaw disc attachment

You'd think this would almost be common sense not to.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 9:29 am   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

That obvious sounding advice overlooks an important feature of the disk: the chain is free to spin on the disc so cannot seize. I wouldn't dream of using it for woodworking but it is invaluable in the garden for removing tree roots below soil level, and trimming back the base of Pampas grass. Used with every precaution!

It's good here

Last edited by Julesomega; 3rd Jul 2021 at 9:38 am.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 9:41 am   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

Common sense dictates etc.

But we forget that at one time we also used to have people walking in front of cars waving red flags.....
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 10:40 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
an important feature of the disk: the chain is free to spin on the disc so cannot seize.
Until it seizes....basically a chainsaw with no chain brake.

Avoid.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 10:50 am   #6
ex 2 Base
Heptode

At a forestry event I saw a man wood carving using a disc attachment. It certainly removed the wood, bit flying every where. Some time later I also saw a man wood cutting using an angle grinder fitted with a course circular saw blade without the guard on. Some folk take unnecessary risks and expect the NHS sort them out.

Ted
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 10:53 am   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
At a forestry event I saw a man wood carving using a disc attachment.
Could have been an Arbortech.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 3:07 pm   #8
peterpixel
Pentode

Seems a most fearsome and dangerous attachment and as far as using for cutting tree roots below soil level it would have the same effect as using a chain saw. Immediate removal of the cutting edge with the gritty soil. Even with the root exposed there is still soil present on the exposed root. I only did this once and it cost me a new chain as the old one had gone too far to be sharpened again. Peter.

Last edited by peterpixel; 3rd Jul 2021 at 3:08 pm. Reason: Wrong spelling,
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 3:10 pm   #9

Quote:
Until it seizes....basically a chainsaw with no chain brake
And no lubrication feed either. A friend of mine still (40 years later) has a diagonal scar right across his face from eye to chin where a "Partner" (petrol angle grinder) that was fitted with a 12" circular saw disk kicked back into him. Both eyes intact, nose a bit odd though. He passed out from blood loss just after the ambulance arrived, one very lucky bloke. Very messy.

Old 3rd Jul 2021, 3:38 pm   #10
crackle
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
That obvious sounding advice overlooks an important feature of the disk: the chain is free to spin on the disc so cannot seize. I wouldn't dream of using it for woodworking but it is invaluable in the garden for removing tree roots below soil level, and trimming back the base of Pampas grass. Used with every precaution!
I dont understand how it works if it is free to spin on the arbour,
Mike
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:19 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out the chain to disc interface is a crude anti-kick back measure (slipping clutch) the danger so far as kick back is concerned is if the job (eg: timber) closes up on the disc and the disc (along with the rest of the grinder) decides to climb out of the job with some force, if that happens then it's danger dead ahead.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 3rd Jul 2021 at 4:27 pm. Reason: word change
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 11:13 pm   #12
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I dont understand how it works if it is free to spin on the arbour,
Mike
It spins up to full speed in a fraction of a second as long as the teeth are not in contact with the work, but it will stop dead if anything seizes, which is unlikely. As for cutting below soil level, there's an awful lot fewer teeth to file back to sharpness if they go blunt - hasn't happened on mine yet

It's good here
Old 4th Jul 2021, 8:12 am   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Ordinary chainsaw chain.....Contact with soil or anything else that's likely to contain abrasive material when cutting will result in less than sharp cutters (bad) Repeated prolonged contact usually results in the chromium layer being worn back to such an extent that the cutters usually have to be re-ground unless filing happens to be a particular pastime, if you do like lots of filing then after filing the cutters back to the chromium don't forget to the file the rakers to the correct height otherwise it could be dust flying out not chips (bad) or the cutting action could be too aggressive (also bad)

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 10:43 am   #14
Malcolm T
Hexode

A chainsaw blade on a disc grinder, in my opinion a stupid and dangerous idea!

I have a petrol chainsaw and have done loads of tree logging and cutting. The few times I have plunged it inadvertently into the ground has resulted in worn teeth, a premature strip down and filing all the teeth back to profile. Something I strive to avoid.

Surely the chain speed on a grinder is going to be much higher than a chainsaw?
Old 4th Jul 2021, 11:24 am   #15
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Angle grinder chainsaw disc attachment. Government Safety Warning.

Typical flat out chain speed at say around 13,000 RPM for the engine on a chainsaw is around 20-25 metres per sec, also chainsaw's have or should have a chain catcher fitted as a safety feature.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 1:36 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

And a device to shut off if there's a flashback (I cannot remember the correct term, but it shuts power off if the guard comes in contact with some object). Additionally, on disc cutting courses and requal I was taught to check the speed of disk was sufficient for the output RPM. (Bit like checking that tyres on a car are rated above max speed of car).
Old 4th Jul 2021, 2:25 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
And a device to shut off if there's a flashback (I cannot remember the correct term, but it shuts power off if the guard comes in contact with some object)
A chain brake, it should stop the chain dead in its tracks when the brake is triggered by forward movement of the guard, usually done in most cutting positions by using the back of the hand that's holding the top part of the main handle, can also be triggered by sudden inertia such as kick back, if the chain brake doesn't function as intended then the saw must not be used until the problem is rectified.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jul 2021, 4:36 pm   #18
chriswood1900
Octode

I believe the rules on saws and similar in the EU which covered the UK, ban the use of any type of saw that on releasing the trigger or loss of power can’t stop the blade or cutter within 10 sec, many saws that are common in the US and Canada can’t meet that requirement this includes attachments such as the one for angle grinder, buzz saws and dado blades making them hard to find in the UK!
Old 5th Jul 2021, 11:03 am   #19
emeritus
Dekatron

When I bought my first chain saw, I also bought a sharpening kit which includes a file and a metal filing guide that fits over the chain for ensuring the teeth and the rakers are filed to their respective correct levels.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 9:20 pm   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've used a circular-saw fitment on an angle-grinder, but would be a bit reluctant to use a 'chainsaw' type fitment.

As to chain-life on a _proper_ chainsaw, I consider the chains to be service-items and simply replace the one on my trusty firewood-sawing Husqvarna every year. Life's too short to waste time sharpening the things - after hacking-up five tons or so of logs/naily-scrap-wood/pallets a new chain in autumn is a sensible and satisfying investment.
Closed Thread