UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2021, 6:58 pm   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Homers, the off side work things done...

When I was up North the only homer I'd heard of was when playing baseball or homer as in Homer Banks, always called those jobs foreigners, only heard them called homers after I started to work down South.

Lawrence.
Old 7th Sep 2021, 7:22 pm   #42

Where I work we have a large fully fitted mechanical workshop, when I started I wasn't allowed to use the tools (only having an electronics qualification gained during my comprehensive apprenticeship which included machine tools). Until I pointed out that I have been using such for twice as long as our resident toolroom chap has been alive. He is very good (and a bloomin' nice chap to boot) I have taught him a few wrinkles, likewise the other way. I love passing on my knowledge and experience and learning new stuff too.
To keep on topic, homers engender close and happy working. I am sure it is a benefit to any company.

Old 7th Sep 2021, 7:44 pm   #43
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
To keep on topic, homers engender close and happy working. I am sure it is a benefit to any company.
I agree about the benefit. But there are those that don't agree about the benefit. I worked somewhere we had little in house experience of any kind of bespoke electronics to solve a one off problem, nor any proper internal experience of writing code.

I'd previously learned C. I became aware that it was possible to use a 'new' device known as a PIC and code in C with a very low cost compiler (it was a bit before Microchip did completely free). It was a quiet time so I asked my boss if I could do some personal development and learn how to use it. I combined simple projects for work, including training others, with something that would control my lights in the house. It was like a very early verison of home automation, but wasn't controllable by anything online (what's online) but this is the early noughties. I learned an awful lot, and the company gained some useful bits and pieces. Later on, the experience led to me being able to code stuff that solved some real stinkers and solve them saving IDK how much.

But here's the point. When I was first doing this experimenting and learning, I was quite pleased. A colleague who was a rather (no, very) arrogant contractor had quite a bit of experience in the field and used this to be 'exclusive' and make himself 'indispensable' to the organisation. He was well paid for this.

This person was rather dismissive of what I learned from this. His position 'why on earth did our Boss allow you to do this, what a waste of time'. My position 'well I learned a lot by doing it'. His answer 'what, you learned how to solder?'

Yeah, some people. I was back in the company just before I retired and his name was largely forgotten. But then I guess mine is now, too!
Old 7th Sep 2021, 10:12 pm   #44
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Strange I personally have never heard of Homers (apart from marrying one) or Foreigners (the term) in my jobs, plenty of it went on though.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 7th Sep 2021 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Update
Closed Thread