UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2021, 10:16 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Reel to Reel Tape Clips

With my latest pair of recorders purchased came a bunch of tapes, all of them were fitted with little white plastic tape clips.

I am sure other people would have seen these but it is the first time I have seen tape clips.

One of my pet hates is reels of tape unravelling and getting in a mess, these simple clips seem to do a reasonable job of securing the tape.

Also in a bag of cables was an an empty Scotch tape clip bag, so I assume the fitted clips are Scotch.

Will have to try and purchase some tape clips.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210303_205720140.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	228190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210303_205742600.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	228191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210303_160836231.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	228192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210303_160821265.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	228193  
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:33 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Reel to Reel Tape Clips

One annoying thing is when manufacturers cram so much tape onto a reel, so much so that it almost overlaps the spool flange and perpetually comes unravelled. The golden label Grundig 5.75" spools (made by BASF) have a wide hub and tend to suffer from this 'overspill', I find. This is where those clips can come in. I have some of those white ones and also some red BASF ones.

However, they do tend to crush the tape, especially if there's a slightly uneven wind with some layers riding a bit higher above the tape pack, so you can damage those parts if you use the clips. I always try to ensure there's a centimetre or so of space by transferring such 'overspilling' tapes to the next size reel up.

I have also had tapes arrive with home made clips made from offcuts of transparent plastic, like part of a blister pack from superglue or something. Worked well!
Old 4th Mar 2021, 10:33 am   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I see quite a few Scotch ones online for sale but generally very expensive.

Strange that I have never seen one before, have recieved/purchased large number of tapes especially in the last couple of years.

I will watch out for the tape crushing.

David
Old 4th Mar 2021, 10:48 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Reel to Reel Tape Clips

Hi,
I made my own from a strip of card from a cereal box. About 1/2" wide x 1 1/2" long and folded into a 'U' shape.
I've seen similar things on reels of 8mm cine film, but not specifically for tape,
Cheers, Pete.

Last edited by Tractorfan; 4th Mar 2021 at 10:52 am. Reason: Added info.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 5:23 pm   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

I had some scotch tape clips back in the late sixties - must still be about somewhere. The downside is that they damage the tape edge if the spooling is not perfect, as mentioned above.
Closed Thread