UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 10th Feb 2024, 12:04 pm   #1
murphy512
Pentode

Default Speaker cloth cleaning Cossor Melody Maker

Can anyone suggest the best way for cleaning the speaker cloth of my Cossor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8945.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	292643  
murphy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 9:40 am   #2
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Speaker cloth cleaning Cossor Melody Maker

I did a very similar cloth to this on a Cossor 501 (or is it 500 - the Bakelite one). I think I soaked mine off the back board (applying water sparingly and peeling back slowly, as I remember), washed it by hand with some washing powder - and it came up like new. I was less successful getting it back 'tight' on the board but I have been loathe to risk taking it off again for another go!
Old 11th Feb 2024, 10:33 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It's hard to get much improvement without wetting it, and if you're going to remove and wet it, soapy water may work fine, but you might wish to use stain remover powder, which you add to warm water and is very effective. I use some from Poundland called 'Wizz Oxy' which is widely available.

Poundland now sell Vanish stain remover powder:

https://www.poundland.co.uk/astonish...BoC87YQAvD_BwE

You can buy spray stain remover, but it's meant to be sprayed onto fabrics before they're put in the washing machine.

One way or another, it's hard to get an effective result without wetting the fabric and wetting means some shrinkage. Best to not let it soak - remove it and damp it dry then let it fully dry at room temperature, rather than for example, ironing it.

When you've glued it back on the board, it might help to tighten it by using a hair dryer.

Hope that might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxi Fabric Stain Remover (Poundland)_edited-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	292721  
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2024, 7:43 pm   #4
Wellington
Hexode

Thumbs up Re: Speaker cloth cleaning Cossor Melody Maker

Some previous threads here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?p=8603

and here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=41733
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2024, 12:52 pm   #5
Iangebbie
Tetrode

With respect to re-gluing back on, (After washing or if replacing the cloth) use a spray on iron starch on the cloth, and use an iron at low heat, this will produce a flat cloth ready to glue, apply glue to the board, place cloth on board and use a hand roller to finish off.

Regards Ian G
Iangebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2024, 11:39 pm   #6
murphy512
Pentode

Thank you all,
I will try your suggestions
Aldo
murphy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2024, 2:02 pm   #7
geffers
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy512 View Post
Can anyone suggest the best way for cleaning the speaker cloth of my Cossor?
I have been restoring wireless sets since around 1991 and this is the best way so far that I have come up with for rejuvenating the speaker material.

You can see the outline of the clean material on your baffle board so just use a small paintbrush and use Evostik PVA waterproof glue to paint around the unseen edge about half inch wide......this stops the material from shrinking or releasing from the board when washed.

When the glue is dry and hard then wash the whole board in luke warm water with completely dissolved washing powder....you will see the dirt float off and after a while will look clean.....the board will not warp as it is made of ply with resorcinol glue holding the veneer layers together.

Don't leave in the water more than needed and rinse after then just let dry normally but not in front of fires or on hot radiators.

When washed the material probably will go flabby as it cannot move because of the waterproof glue but it will go taught again after it has dried thoroughly.

Please don't hold me responsible for any failures as this is only my own way of dealing with the problem.
geffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2024, 6:27 pm   #8
medge799
Pentode

At risk of drifting this topic a little; what glue do you use to reattach cloth to a baffle board? I was thinking a weak PVA solution. The cloth is new but in period (the old cloth was too far gone).
Thanks in advance...
medge799 is offline   Reply With Quote