UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2023, 4:24 pm   #1
ElectroPunk
Triode

Default New Project: Ferguson 3026 restoration

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Ferguson 3026. It's my first project restoring a record player - I've never even owned one before and know almost nothing about them yet, but my wife has some records she's not been able to play for years so I thought why not give it a go. Managed to pick this one up at <£40.

Anyway, pre-amble over, I've just got a couple of questions before I get stuck into it: -

1. Does anyone have any user manuals, circuit diagrams or schematics they could send me, or know where I could get some

2. We've tested on a couple of records, and while it produces sound the output level is really low even with the volume control turned up fully. I've had it suggested variously to change the stylus, the cartridge, or both, or to check the capacitors and leave the cartridge alone. Where would you all suggest I start?

3. There is also a random cylindrical piece of what seems to be stainless steel about 5cm long and 5-7mm in diameter clipped into a bracket on the underside of the lid. What is this for?

On the plus side, the autochanger works and the music quality is decent aside from the volume being low. Cosmetically, in pretty decent condition for its age.

Any help and guidance provided is greatly appreciated
Old 15th Mar 2023, 4:48 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: New Project: Ferguson 3026 restoration

The cylindrical thing is the short spindle for when you want to play one record manually and not use the autochanger.
A new stylus will not improve the volume, but a new cartridge would. To see if this is necessary, and assuming that it still has the original Sonotone 9TA cartridge fitted, turn the volume up to max, and touch each of the wires on the back of the cartridge in turn with a small screwdriver. One of them should produce a loud hum, which will prove that the amplifier is ok, and a cartridge is needed, No hum, and the amp will require attention.

Barry
Old 15th Mar 2023, 5:06 pm   #3
ElectroPunk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The cylindrical thing is the short spindle for when you want to play one record manually and not use the autochanger.
A new stylus will not improve the volume, but a new cartridge would. To see if this is necessary, and assuming that it still has the original Sonotone 9TA cartridge fitted, turn the volume up to max, and touch each of the wires on the back of the cartridge in turn with a small screwdriver. One of them should produce a loud hum, which will prove that the amplifier is ok, and a cartridge is needed, No hum, and the amp will require attention.

Barry
Hello Barry, thanks for your reply. You mention a Sonotone 9TA cartridge. I've had a look at mine previously and its a BSR C1 with an ST4 stylus presently fitted. Would touching the wires at the back give the same effect on this model of stylus?
Old 15th Mar 2023, 5:09 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPunk View Post
Does anyone have any user manuals, circuit diagrams or schematics they could send me, or know where I could get some.
What about this:-
https://www.service-data.com/section.php/2619/1/3026

Any good?

As always, worth checking the link at the top of this page first
Old 15th Mar 2023, 5:30 pm   #5
ElectroPunk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Does anyone have any user manuals, circuit diagrams or schematics they could send me, or know where I could get some.
What about this:-
https://www.service-data.com/section.php/2619/1/3026

Any good?

As always, worth checking the link at the top of this page first
Aha! Thanks for this!
Old 15th Mar 2023, 8:38 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
You mention a Sonotone 9TA cartridge. I've had a look at mine previously and its a BSR C1 with an ST4 stylus presently fitted. Would touching the wires at the back give the same effect on this model of stylus?
Sorry if my reply led you astray, I was thinking of a different model of record player., but the process is the same for any cartridge. The connecting sockets on the ends of the wires are hidden in clear plastic shields, so you need to very carefully and gently pull them off the cartridge and touch the screwdriver on the ends of the sockets.
Old 15th Mar 2023, 11:01 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

These are capable of nice sound.
Do the 'buzz test' ad let us know. You might be able to get away with poking a small jewellers's screwdriver (flat blade) at the pins where they meet the cartridge body if there's a bit of exposed metal. This would save you disconnecting them. If you do disconnect them make a note of what colour goes where.

I recently had a BSR c1 cartridge which was going intermittent on one channel, so it is entirely possible that yours is faulty. Some of us on here can repair these older carts but it is often easier to buy a new one like the SC12H.

Anyway post back and we can take it from there.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 5:34 pm   #8
ElectroPunk
Triode

Hi Ben,

Did the buzz test - nil heard. Though in the process I noticed that one of the wires had been badly soldered, and another the collector was very loose. That being said, while making sure everything was connecting properly and volume turned up to full, no noise from the speakers.

I guess I need to look at repairing or replacing those wires first and see if that makes a difference. Will let you all know how I get on.
Old 16th Mar 2023, 8:56 pm   #9
ElectroPunk
Triode

Reckon I may have found the problem... One large black broken capacitor on the board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16789965517238399316303702425653.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	275137  
Old 19th Mar 2023, 11:51 am   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

I would treat all of those large black capacitors as problems!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Mar 2023, 12:36 pm   #11
ElectroPunk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Gotcha! Couldn't find original replacement parts so I've sourced some modern equivalents. Hopefully they'll work just as well (or at least, well enough).

All - thanks for all your help and input with this project. It's been really useful and appreciated.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 10:22 am   #12
ElectroPunk
Triode

Update:

Broken capacitor and resistor replaced & cartridge wire re-attached. Now working a lot better. Still not perfect but a significant improvement in output volume. The project continues!
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 10:30 am   #13
ben
Dekatron

If I were you I would replace all those black capacitors. Don't use the player until this is done.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 10:32 am   #14
ElectroPunk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
If I were you I would replace all those black capacitors. Don't use the player until this is done.
Yes, that's my next step.
Old 30th Mar 2023, 9:43 am   #15
ElectroPunk
Triode

PROJECT UPDATE:

250uf capacitor (C11 on the circuit diagram) replaced last night. *Massive* improvement in volume output. Before, needed to put the volume control to max (10) to get any decent noise out; now have it on 3 and it's more than loud enough.

Next problem: The tonearm doesn't seem to be applying sufficient tracking weight - in order to get good, consistent sound and levels, requires 2 x 2p pence pieces on the headshell. Going to give the records a good cleaning to ensure it's not just dust causing the problems before I take next steps.
Old 30th Mar 2023, 10:43 am   #16
ben
Dekatron

There's no way that's just dust causing tracking problems. If I recall, these players used a BSR C141 deck with a c1 cartridge. I have had these carts go intermittent due to tarnished internals, pressure brings the sound back. Maybe that's what is happening here. if so replace with SC11 /12.

Check also condition of stylus (likely ST3), try both tips, if the cart is good then you can replace it (you can also use ST15 if you don't plan to play 78s).
Old 30th Mar 2023, 4:16 pm   #17
ElectroPunk
Triode

Cheers, Ben - thanks for the feedback. Currently looking on gettheneedle.co.uk at a BSR SC11M Ceramic Cartridge with LP/33/45 only stylus for about £40.

Do you think it at all likely that the problem could be with whatever part it is that controls the tonearm pressure? Want to eliminate that as a possibility before I fork out ££
Old 30th Mar 2023, 4:27 pm   #18
paulsherwin

The deck may need stripping down, cleaning and relubricating if this hasn't been done already. There's a lot of info about this in the sticky threads at the top of this section.

If the cartridge is working well with plenty of volume then you're unlikely to see much benefit by changing it. A new stylus is a good idea if the condition of the existing one is unknown though.

Don't try to cure tracking problems by piling 2p pieces on top of the cartridge if it's jumping and skipping - that's very likely to wreck your records. The tracking weight should be around 5g if you have a way of measuring it.
Old 30th Mar 2023, 4:32 pm   #19
ElectroPunk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
You were right - replaced some more caps last night, testing in between replacing each one to gauge the effect. The new 250uf (C11 on the circuit diagram) made a HUGE difference.
Old 31st Mar 2023, 11:40 am   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It's very bad pratice to add weight like that to your tone arm. I've tried searching but can't find a Ferguson 2026. What type of deck is fitted? It's likely to be a BSR or a Garrard. A photo will help, then we can advise you as to how to correctly set the tracking weight.