UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2023, 1:05 pm   #1
MickeyD
Diode

Default Garrard 4SPA turntable speed knob fault

Hello everyone

I've finally found a little time to tinker with the rather nice Bush SRP30 I acquired for £10 a few years back. Other than a tear in the vinyl covering and a bit of grime, it's in excellent, almost new condition...BUT...the speed adjuster knob is seized in its 'neutral' position

My questions, before I dismantle the entire (rather elegant) mechanism to, are: am I maybe missing a step in how to change the speed knob, i.e: is there another operation that has to be carried out before the knob will move? Or, is this a common fault that has a reasonably simple solution?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Best wishes,

Mickey
Old 21st Mar 2023, 1:22 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 4SPA turntable speed knob fault

Hello and welcome.

No, it will have seized.

Dismantling, with the aid of penetrating fluid (PlusGas, WD40) and heat, cleaning (isopropyl alcohol, meths) and re-lubricating (any light oil or grease) will have it working in no time.

Don't force any record deck with seized bits, otherwise something (usually the knobs) will break.

Take lots of pictures as you go, as an aid to re-assembly.

These are nice simple decks to practise on.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 4:49 pm   #3
nicam49
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard 4SPA turntable speed knob fault

I had a similar situation with a seized control knob, and the lever on the underside of the knob went to some pivots that had seized. I used a hairdryer to warm the grease which had solidified and got them moving again. Then I used some carb cleaner spray to degrease them.
Closed Thread