UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2023, 11:23 am   #1
simpsons
Octode

Default Sony PAL Comb filter

Having followed with interest 3CX15000A7 post, the topic of a PAL comb filter sprang to my attention.

Knowing that in the USA NTSC Sony Comb Filters were used in their top Video Recorders and could be successfully used in their KV2704 equivalent, having a KV2000 which beats the KV2204 hands down in its IF frequency response*, I wonder if a PAL comb filter could be used? If so where could I get one?

Chris

* The KV2000 using a LC IF reproduces Test Card D with ease whilst the KV2204 with a SW IF and notch filter struggles. From memory, Test Card D was withdrawn because so many TV sets struggled to reproduce it.

Last edited by simpsons; 20th Mar 2023 at 11:30 am.
Old 20th Mar 2023, 6:40 pm   #2
3CX15000A7
Tetrode

Default Re: Sony PAL Comb filter

I don't think a PAL comb filter will work in a NTSC system, as a comb filter works with a very precious relationship between linerate/collor subcarrier
Old 21st Mar 2023, 10:28 am   #3
simpsons
Octode

Hi 3CX15000A7

My request might require clarification.

It is PAL comb filter I'm interested in for use in Europe.

Most, if not all, modern LCD televisions, which can receive analogue transmissions, include a comb filter which is NTSC/PAL compatible.

In the USA, High End Sony video recorders and televisions included a NTSC comb filter as a simple notch filter at 3.57 MHz degrades picture quality too much.

I would like to know if European Sony video recorders or maybe their Profeel TV had a PAL one and if so, can I easily use it in a domestic Sony KV2000

Chris
Old 21st Mar 2023, 11:44 am   #4
marceljack
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Most, if not all, modern LCD televisions, which can receive analogue transmissions, include a comb filter which is NTSC/PAL compatible.
This is true but the analog video signal is processed digitally by a specialized DSP, which makes the realisation of a comb filter easy and almost "free of charge".
This was far from being the case at the time of fully analog TV...
Closed Thread