UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2023, 10:21 pm   #21
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

Default Re: KB VC2 chassis LOPT primary getting hot and bothered!

The set is now finished... apart from the missing badge! I previously asked about what it might have looked like - KV002 as far as I know has no model 'name' for the front badge, so what did it say? Just the KB logo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kb_done.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	275140  
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:50 pm   #22
slidertogrid
Octode

My RGD just has the make on the front. The KB does have the model name. "Warden" having the baby alarm option. Sorry about the picture the set is on its end under the bench...
Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230316_224011.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	275143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230316_223951.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	275144  
Old 17th Mar 2023, 11:32 pm   #23
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

Hi Rich,

Are you saying that KV002 (or the same presentation plus baby alarm) = model name 'Warden' ? That's not a name I have ever heard of (unlike Vanguard etc etc)

Cheers !

Adam
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:01 am   #24
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Adam
My set is a VC2 like yours I think. The zig zag style VHF tuner knob is the same. I think it is the same as a Vanguard but called the Warden because of the baby alarm. I don't have the baby alarm mike and matching / isolation transformer. I don't know if it was supplied as standard or if it was an extra. The transformer presumably provided isolation so it was 'safe' to have a microphone in a baby's room connected to a live chassis TV...
Incidentally this model was one of the sets in the scrapyard scene in 'Tommy' the film by the Who.

Somewhere I also have another VC chassis KB a later model possibly a VC4 with a direct vision tube rather than twin panel. I don't know if it has a model name on the front. I will have a look.
I have a Deep scene VC53 that just has a KB badge on the front on the left but of course this is a lot later model.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 18th Mar 2023 at 12:18 am.
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:31 am   #25
alfatangowhisky
Pentode

The label on mine says VC6. KB were quite confusing with all their names and numbers. And for some of the models not much to go on. If somebody had a Wireless Trader yearbook for, say 1966 maybe it would match up KV002 =

Perhaps for now I will just put a blank silver plate in the escutcheon just to give it something to hold !
Old 18th Mar 2023, 8:05 am   #26
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The official STC/CRTS model supplement sheet for the KB KV002 is dated February 1965, which means the model was probably introduced in the previous year.

The official VC2 chassis service manual was first issued in November 1964.

According to a table published in a CRTS Service Bulletin, the KV002 was only ever fitted with the VC2 chassis.

Like your set with a VC6 label on the chassis, I have a VC2 chassis that is stamped VC10.
My guess is that VC10 might indicate a different VHF tuner is fitted (for example, some KB/RGD/Regentone models from this era had pushbutton VHF tuners, rather than a rotary turret type and some had linear radio style UHF tuner mechanisms).

(STC = Standard Telephones & Cables Ltd - the parent company)
(CRTS = Combined Radio & Television Services Ltd - the service company for STC's consumer electronics division - CRTS was acquired when STC bought the RGD/Regentone business in 1962)
Old 18th Mar 2023, 12:50 pm   #27
af024
Octode

Hello alfatangowhisky.

I have a VV20 here (a KB Vanguard). Mine doesn't have the baby alarm fitted, but the back has been punched in readiness. It was a case of buying the kit and fitting it if desired.

Regrettably I don't know exactly what the one would be like for your particular set, but I thought a couple of photos might help see the sort of thing that it might have been.

Kind regards
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	275239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0941.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	275240