UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2020, 3:48 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Morse code on SW, or alien invasion?

If it's at the weekend, and there are lots of Morse signals, you can be fairly sure it's a contest (otherwise known as 'QRM').

Apart from 'CQ' the syllable 'test' (short for contest), has a distinctive rhythm: 'dah dit di-di-dit dah' you'll hear lots of 'di-di-di-di-dit dah-dit dah-dit' ('5 N N'). Morse signal reports are based on readability (up to 5) strength (up to 5) and tone up to 9). '5 N N' means maximum readability, maximum and top marks for tone. It's nonsense as a true signal report - it just confirms that the other operator has heard you and you're in his contest log. (There will also be a number after 5NN to signify how far down the other operators log you are.

(The sample of Morse includes CQ Test and 5NN).
Old 21st Sep 2020, 4:30 pm   #22
KW2000A
Triode

Bill,depending on the years(!) the buzzer could well have been the Soviet DUGA-3 over the horizon radar situated near Chernobyl. This was a confounded nuisance on the amateur bands since it totally disregarded the ITU band allocations. Lots of information on the internet.
Regards...Phil ( G3YWP)
Old 21st Sep 2020, 4:50 pm   #23
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

There's a lot of the Morse heard on the ham bands these days that is machine generated (MGM), that is by computer. I suspect that a lot of the really high speed traffic (as in the recording) is also read by computer. Some "real" CW users seem very anti MGM!

Roger
Old 21st Sep 2020, 5:14 pm   #24
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2000A View Post
Bill,depending on the years(!)
Early 60s perhaps
Old 21st Sep 2020, 5:34 pm   #25
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
One signal that always puzzled me sounded like a buzzer down a very long corridor, usually with a bit of fading, presumably some sort of machine generated signal?
Could that have been fax (facsimile) transmission? I recall that there was quite a lot of what sounded a bit like a coffee grinder in distress, sometimes with a hint of cyclic nature, spread around the non-broadcast/amateur allocations. I assumed that that was some sort of crude picture-scan transmission, though I never had it confirmed.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 7:01 pm   #26
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Why would aliens use morse code?
To answer in the spirit of the thread title, it might be rather cunning of them to communicate openly using a communications mode which sounds like human (not alien) activity but is nevertheless understood by hardly any of the human population. Almost everyone knows what morse is and can recognise it, but very few can actually read it.

This is roughly similar to the way the US used Native American speakers as radio operators, transmitting messages which could be heard by anyone and understood by almost no-one.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 8:25 pm   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I can remember listening to short wave on the Family's Ekco A28 as a youngster. Plenty of activity then, although my Morse is limited to SOS, which I never heard of course. One signal that always puzzled me sounded like a buzzer down a very long corridor, usually with a bit of fading, presumably some sort of machine generated signal?
Possibly UVB-76 ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76
Old 21st Sep 2020, 8:51 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

Far too modern, facsimile or Mufax seems the most likely.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 9:29 pm   #29
ms660
Dekatron

I remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXV4nTfGHuI

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 2:58 pm   #30
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Originally posted by AC/HL
"One signal that always puzzled me sounded like a buzzer down a very long corridor, usually with a bit of fading, presumably some sort of machine generated signal?"

If you mean a sound like wind being blown across the end of a long drainpipe, I often heard that in the 50s/60s, but never was sure what it was. Possibly a faximile transmission of some kind. There were lots of them at the time. Often they would drone on for many minutes.
The system seemed to be quite abruptly dispensed with in about 1970. Tony.
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 5:29 pm   #31
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

There really is a signal called The Buzzer (aka UBV76) from Russia on 4625 kHz USB heard throughout the UK after dusk. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating it.

There is also the Squeaky Wheel (4328/5473kHz) and The Pip (3756/3771 - night time; 5448/6913/6922/7056/7126 - daytime).

Lots of other weird stuff listed at https://priyom.org/
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 7:24 pm   #32
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
If you mean a sound like wind being blown across the end of a long drainpipe, I often heard that in the 50s/60s, but never was sure what it was.
Quite probably, it was a long time ago!
Closed Thread