UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2021, 10:42 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Abandoned house full of TV's.

This abandoned house was the home for someone interested in electronics: https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/thr...suffolk.38153/

There was a room with a big stack of old sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1794868_c95a3e75150698be72e2c02fe5c02171.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	231323  
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:14 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: TV House

Very sad!

Peter.
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:29 pm   #3
Radio Scotland
Heptode

I Bet shango066 would love to get his hands on that lot
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:37 pm   #4
neil29
Heptode

I really don't want the A774 because i have several examples already .

Cheers
Neil.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 8:15 am   #5
electronicskip
Nonode

Sanyo VTC 5000 Betamax there .
Old 10th Apr 2021, 8:26 am   #6
Iontrap
Pentode

Wow that is scary! It is a fate that could await any of us.
I have often thought I should de-clutter. Upon my demise Mrs E. would have all my treasures sent to the tip.
Simon
Old 10th Apr 2021, 8:49 am   #7
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
This is far more common than you think.
My friend Bob Baird died just over two weeks ago. He left over 300 TV sets from 1947 to the early 80s. Radios, military, VCRs, Scopes, Signal generators, valve testers the lot. There are two large sheds full of TVs, the huge loft is full of spares. All this was acquired in the early naughties and Bob and myself shared the costs, Bob already had a substantial collection prior to that. His son and myself have a mammoth task to sift through all this, his mum is blind as well after a stroke 8 years ago so he has a lot on his plate. Bob really should have done something with the stuff after his business closed but like the majority of us we don't.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 9:59 am   #8
line sync
Heptode

This is very sad and it does make you think what will happen to your collection in the future ?
There are still sets there in saveable condition but unfortunately that korting transmare hybrid colour set is to far garn.

Robin
Old 10th Apr 2021, 11:51 am   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Wow that is scary! It is a fate that could await any of us.
I am preparing to move house, it is amazing just how much I have here, probably going to need two removal lorries

I intend making a will once I have moved, the thought of my collection ending up at the tip is unbearable!

Mark
Old 10th Apr 2021, 1:06 pm   #10
lydnjonny
Triode

Wow, very sad.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 1:56 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Well Mark, I had 8 shipping containers with my last move. No, they did not all arrive same day.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 2:54 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

I'm afraid that this is how many people's collections are going to end up if they don't act now or put something in place for the future, but what do you put in place? Whatever you put in place may well cause problems for those who have to deal with everything after you've gone. Most of us will put off doing anything until it's too late - that's just a fact!

I personally know an 'urban explorer' who lives local(ish) to me, and he sees this sort of thing all the time in his travels across the country. He may see a place just like the one shown above, and a few months later may re-visit the same place only to find that the whole lot has been totally trashed by vandals - and he sees some badly smashed up places. I think (if it's just a single occupancy) that what we have to keep in mind is that depending where your property is, it can't just be locked up and left indefinitely, as it will soon become obvious that it's been left abandoned and it will be broken into by the locals and trashed. It's all very sad, but we have to be realistic about the future - in many ways I wish we didn't.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:25 pm   #13
stacman
Hexode

Is that a Panasonic video recorder just peeking through on the right of the picture...and what is the unit below the small B&W on the 3rd row...looks like a radio/receiver.
So come on you TV aficionado people, what makes and models, including the one in landscape mode, centre row, bottom,
On a lighter note, that ceiling could do with a lick.....
Alan.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:30 pm   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacman View Post
including the one in landscape mode
Do you mean the one in portrait mode? The remainder are all in landscape mode.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:41 pm   #15
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Abandoned house full of TV's.

The underlying problem that causes many of these situations to arise is surely that many people do not like to admit, even to themselves , that one day they will die, or at least become incapable of making decisions which concern the fate of their "stuff" whether it be a small collection of casually accumulated devices, or some massive hoard of items they would not have a hope of fixing, even given another lifetime to do it.
One has to bite the bullet, and get down on paper what they wish to happen to their collection.
Having a trustworthy, knowlegeable friend (possibly in the trade, or a radio amateur) who would organise the disposal of the various items according to your stated wishes, would certainly be an asset when that sad time inevitably comes. Tony.

Last edited by boxdoctor; 10th Apr 2021 at 3:48 pm.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 3:54 pm   #16
stacman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacman View Post
including the one in landscape mode
Do you mean the one in portrait mode? The remainder are all in landscape mode.
Spotted Dave, I don’t make many mistokes........
Old 10th Apr 2021, 4:23 pm   #17
greenstar
Octode

I wonder about this ... not many people die unexpectedly and suddenly. Keeping everything until the last moment is likely to lead to this scenario. There is a community here likely to be helpful. if need be have a giveaway/garage sale. More valuable things are probably safer to leave to executors to dispose of, as they can simple sent to auction and will be suitably dispersed. Possibly the problem is acknowledging when the time has come .. that can't be easy.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 4:35 pm   #18
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As I've said here before, the big issue is time.

Executors - if professional lawyer-appointed types - charge a hefty hourly-rate; if the executors are friends or family-members they probably have more-profitable things to do [real-life work/family commitments type things] rather than spending days sorting-out unidentified piles of dusty 'stuff' in Uncle Albert's/Auntie Mabel's Attic.

Clearing a house quickly - so it can be valued/marketed, or handed back to a landlord/housing-associaton - is important too: you don't want to be sitting on an uninhabited house [paying mortgage/rent/council-tax/utility-bills/insurance etc] any longer than absolutely necessary.

Getting some skips or paying a house-clearance company to do the work is frequently the sanest path to take.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 10th Apr 2021 at 4:50 pm.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 5:19 pm   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I think the keyboard belongs to a Sony Prestel unit, anyone remember those when ordering spares etc? Plus travel agents used them too.
Old 10th Apr 2021, 5:43 pm   #20
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
One of the issues we have is our average age. We are all getting older and we have to realise it's unfair to burden those in our families with the disposal of a collection with no instructions of who and where it lands up plus funeral arrangements. A very good friend of mine died three years ago and he left countless wind up gramophones, radios, 78's (many very very rare) and vintage motorbikes. He was 80 and had taken equity release on his home that the family didn't know about, he had no will or instructions of what to do.
His daughter was able to sell the motorbikes easily but the rest was literally dumped. I didn't have her number nor did she mine. The only thing I have is the paperwork from the Gramophone Company and Dent and co & Johnston Linwood with the patent stuff for the gramophone pickup they invented and sold to the Gramophone company.
This shows how we need to accept we are not immortal, could land up with dementia or die suddenly in an accident or heart attack.
I'm not being morbid just stating facts.

The other thing we must understand, we say I wouldn't like to think our collections will be dumped. So it's up to us to make arrangements now, it's all very well saying "I'm not planning to die yet" none of us are in the main but like I say it can come suddenly, Look at Terry who was on many forums, he had an accident and died dome time later. Look at Bob, my friend it was quick and unexpected.
When we do die we will not know anything including the stuff we have left others to get rid of or if its binned. Perhaps if we have an excess of stuff that you'll never get round to fixing or getting pleasure from then either give the items to those that will look after them or sell them, perhaps the money would be useful. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by murphyv310; 10th Apr 2021 at 5:51 pm.
Closed Thread