UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2020, 3:17 pm   #1
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Head drum/head amp interference on Sanyo Beta VCR

Hi all. I am having a very annoying issue with my Sanyo VTC 5350 Beta machine. So as you probably already know, most of these VCRs usually have a metal RF shield that covers the heads and the head pre-amp circuit to prevent interference from magnetic fields and radio interference. My problem is that without the RF shield, the machine plays back with a great picture, but when the shield is in place, I get lots of intereference after a while. If I tap/slap the machine on the area above the shield, the picture returns to normal temporarily. What could be the cause of this? I can see that the double-insulated wires that connect the rotary transformer to the head pre-amp are touching the RF shield, but this appears to be as designed from the factory. The shield doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, as you can see from the pictures. Thanks in advance.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_171234.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	216456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200926_171245.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	216457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200817_223431.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	216458  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 3:28 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Head drum/head amp interference on Sanyo Beta VCR

There's a lot of gain and limiting in these head amplifiers, and any stray coupling between input and output can cause oscillation. Screens can cause this unwanted coupling if they are not properly connected to the PCB and chassis at the right points.
Make sure any earthing springs are clean and that they firmly contact the places they are intended to. The same applies to all places where the screen is screwed down.
It's also a good idea to give the plugs a good wiggle to clear any oxidised connections.
Old 26th Sep 2020, 5:34 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi and thanks for your reply. Indeed it seemed like an earthing issue to me so I decided to put this jumper wire (see attachment) in order to (hopefully) create a better ground connection between the head drum and the pre-amp. After doing so, the VCR played back a few tapes for a couple of hours without any interference in the picture so I believe I have solved the problem now. I also read this interesting advice in the technical section for the VTC 5000 on palsite.com (see second attachment).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200926_175123.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	216468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 7.32.46 PM.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	216469  
Old 26th Sep 2020, 5:44 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Can't remember if this is applicable to your model but there might be a pickup brush on the bottom end of the spinning drum shaft, which might not be making proper contact. If there is one it's accessed from beneath the deck.
Dave
Old 26th Sep 2020, 6:13 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Dave. There is no pickup brush in this series of Sanyo decks, as far as I can see.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deck-bottom.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	216472  
Old 27th Sep 2020, 11:04 am   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

I should have looked at the 2nd picture more carefully. The centre spindle earth pick up is rivoted to the inside of the cover. I would try pulling it slightly so as to increase the pressure contact with the centre spindle and also try a bare metal star washer on one or possibly all of the fixing screws for the cover plate. Ideally try fitting the star washer between the cover and deck chassis. Something else to check would be any capacitors that go between the motor supplies and chassis/earth. I should have mentioned to check that the pick up is not tarnished.
Dave
Old 28th Sep 2020, 6:11 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Dave
I did try inscreasing the tension of that rivoted earthing spring but that didn't help at all. I also made sure all screws are as tight as they should be. The extra ground wire I added appeared to be the solution as the problem has gone away now, although there are quite a few caps in the motor drive circuit but I didn't think of testing them and I don't have an ESR meter.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 8.07.35 PM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	216594  
Old 28th Sep 2020, 8:45 pm   #8
nigelr2000
Heptode

I seem to remember that these had a seperate earth strap on the cover will have to pop the top off mine and check
Closed Thread