UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets and Parts Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 21st Nov 2023, 1:55 pm   #1
davidgsmith
Triode

Default 12" Bass Driver Wanted - For Goodmans Goodwood Speaker

Hello,
I am looking for a replacement 12" Bass Driver for a pair of Goodmans Goodwood Speakers I have just inherited.

If anyone has one or knows where I can get one from, that would be great.

I am in the UK.

Thank you
davidgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2023, 2:35 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 12" Bass Driver Wanted - For Goodmans Goodwood Speaker

If you have no luck in finding one, try a request for suggestions of rebuilders who could restore your existing one.

As a student, I was asked to help a fresher having difficulty in a lab doing a simple frequency response test on a Goodmans Magister, using the then standard B&K test setup. The reason it wasn't working was that someone had stolen the drive units from both Magisters in the lab, and put the front covers back! This crime actually got solved. It was a disaffected lab technician.

So, I'm assuming you have a damaged one rather than a missing one. I remember hearing a while back of some ex-Goodmans folk in the repair business.

David
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 11:00 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Seek advice from Wimslow Audio or Falcon Acoustics they are both very helpful. But it's possible that a repair might be very expensive.
You could of course buy a, say, 12" Monacor unit and live with a mismatch. This will only be in the lower frequency range and may not be that detectable. Maybe Goodmans purists should ignore that last sentence!
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 11:26 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Don't automatically assume the pricing of anything. Find out, and make your decisions on a factual basis.

Good quality 12" drivers also aren't cheap, and you may feel the need to buy two to keep things balanced left-right. There aren't any resistors for correcting for sensitivity on the bass side of crossovers.

David
Old 22nd Nov 2023, 3:03 pm   #5
Chris R
Pentode

There appears to be one for sale on eBay.

Chris R

Last edited by Station X; 22nd Nov 2023 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Euphemism removed.
Chris R is online now   Reply With Quote