UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2024, 3:49 pm   #1
trh01uk
Octode

Default "Do Not Fly" notice on returned mains transformer???

Folks,

I recently sold a pretty standard, vintage (i.e. intended for valve equipment) mains transformer to someone in China. Naturally I booked for shipping via airmail, using a Parcelforce service.

I have just had the transformer returned to me with a notice on it saying:

DO NOT FLY
This item/bag contains goods which are not permitted to fly
SEND BY SURFACE MAIL ONLY
Royal Mail

So this is fairly high quality mains transformer, fully enclosed, which many of us will have seen and used. Apart from steel, copper and insulation in it, it may have transformer oil as well, though that is nothing something I can verify for sure!

Has anyone had this problem? Or anyone know anything about this?

I've certainly shipped transformers of this sort overseas in the past and never had a problem. No claims of leaks of oil (assuming that is what they expect). No claims that a transformer has exploded because of being held in a low pressure environment.

A more detailed notice on the side of the package says this:

"To fully comply with transport security regulations, all parcels are required to clear certain approved security controls before they are permitted to be carried by air. These controls aim to ensure that there are no dangerous or prohibited items present within the parcel.

"In most cases, we are able to confirm the contents of parcels through these procedures. However on this occasion, we have not been able to clear the parcel with the security controls available to us. We are therefore returning the parcel to you."

The way I read that is that Parcelforce have no idea what is actually in the box. They probably tried to X-ray it, and found they could not see inside. And then knowing nothing about transformers (and that's declared on the export notices), they played for safety and just refused to carry it.

Anyone shed any light on all this?

Richard
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:10 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: "Do Not Fly" notice on returned mains transformer???

Hi Richard,
I sent a valve preamplifier to my nephew in New Zealand. That was with Hermes, as they were then ( 2015 ) . NZ customs opened the parcel and questioned my nephew about it but there were no issues. I'm pretty certain it went by air. I suspect you are right with the reason for the return. Is there any way you can ask them?

Cheers

Aub
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:12 pm   #3
trh01uk
Octode

There's one more clue on the parcel, which has been handwritten on. And that's the word "DENSE".

I interpret that to mean that the parcel weighs a lot (9.1kg) for its size (21x22x24cm). And since they can't see inside, they have assumed there is something dodgy in there. It may further indicate that the declared description "Electrical transformer" means nothing to them or any "expert" they consulted. And I guess the old style transformers we are all used to is something of a rarity now!

Richard
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:13 pm   #4
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Hi Richard,
I sent a valve preamplifier to my nephew in New Zealand. That was with Hermes, as they were then ( 2015 ) . NZ customs opened the parcel and questioned my nephew about it but there were no issues. I'm pretty certain it went by air. I suspect you are right with the reason for the return. Is there any way you can ask them?

Cheers

Aub

Aub,

well I have just tried to ring Parcelforce to get an explanation. Of the four options I was offered known them allowed to speak to someone about the issue. So at the moment, I am still stuck

I am going to try phoning Parcel Moneky, as they were the agents I booked the shipment through. See if they are any the wiser!

Richard
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:16 pm   #5
Vintage Engr
Heptode

That's really odd, as I have ordered transformers from Hammond in Canada, & they've always 'flown'.

I still have the box that the last one was sent in.
Admitted, it is a Hammond packaging, & states 'Transformer' on the box.

David.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:28 pm   #6
terry123
Pentode

I've not encountered an problems either with wound components , perhaps they were expecting a differant type of transformer as in the big screen films. IE the autobots!

Terry
Old 27th Mar 2024, 4:37 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Increasingly the screeners have no understanding of the items they're looking at, and just adopt a 'computer says no' attitude.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 5:00 pm   #8
trh01uk
Octode

Just to note that its impossible ring and speak to a human being at either Parcelforce or Parcel Monkey now. Will have to wait until Parcel Monkey answers a written query/complaint!

In the meantime I did turn up this report from someone else shipping electrical motors, which are similarly "dense". And again Parcelforce refusing to ship for the same reason: https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/t...-dense.412193/

Richard
Old 27th Mar 2024, 5:41 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

At one time there was a restriction on shipping anything with an external magnetic field over a certain level by air. The stray field could affect the navigational compass. This was certainly an issue with some of the large minicomputer hard disk units that I work on (it's mentioned in the manuals) which have big permanent magnets in the head positioner.

I suspect said regulation is still in place.

Now of course there is no stray field from an unpowered transformer, but it's possible the parcel company was worried there might be.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 6:11 pm   #10
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
At one time there was a restriction on shipping anything with an external magnetic field over a certain level by air.

A very interesting thought, Tony.

However I doubt it in this case. From the other threads I have picked up (see my notes above) its clear that the problem is restricted to Royal Mail/Parcelforce, and its something to do with very dense items which they can't "see" into. Probably using x-rays which don't get through metal.

And transformers like the one I have were shipped by air for decades, until they became something of a rarity due to SMPS etc. I've shipped quite a few myself over the last 20 years.

Other couriers appear not to have this problem......

Richard
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:51 pm   #11
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

It appears from the many other people across the internet that Royal Mail know about the problem and ANY heavy items where it is heavier than its volumetric weight ( a weight they have decided for a particular volume ) are rejected.

If you need it to go air, then either send it via another courier or pack it in a much larger box.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:49 pm   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ten or more years ago I posted a typical 10H 100mA choke airmail.
It ended up being transferred to surface mail and arriving many weeks later.
I made enquiries on Royal Mail Chat forum and the opinion was that my description "electrical choke" may have been looked up and by some unknown twist then interpreted as a magnetic item, therefore prohibited by air.
However, it arrived eventually.
Rob
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:54 pm   #13
Richardgr
Heptode

Maybe it is similar to the issues they have with children on planes, who can weigh much less than an adult and affect the balance of the aircraft. A lot of this type of air freight is piggy backing of the empty cargo holds of passenger flights as well.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 10:15 pm   #14
Cobaltblue

This wasn't really the forum for this query to start with, but as we are now way off topic its time to close.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread