UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2021, 10:38 am   #1
Aristomatic
Diode

Default Westclox EM21 electric clock

Hi everyone.

1st post be kind..!

Looking to find assistance to either repair or source replacement unit or

maybe helpful direction to another forum if members advise?

EM 21 Model, made in Scotland, looks to be Westclox? but not branded

It's in a lightup sign, maybe 60's or 70's, has a second hand.

Was working but occasionally the second hand on start up went backwards

but switching off and on again seemed to cure that. I've been very poorly so

not switched on for over a year and now dead! The fluorescent tube still works

and live feed to clock comes off same terminal. Both wires still secured in motor,

eg not disconnected.

Thankyou In advance
Old 16th Aug 2021, 10:44 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Westclox EM21 electric clock

Maybe just needs a clean and lube? If it used to go backwards sometimes, that sounds like the one-way ratchet was sticking or worn, synchronous clock motor designs can often start up forwards or backwards as they choose and are prevented from continuing backwards by a ratchet.
If you get a reading through the winding then I suspect its little holiday has allowed it to go a bit stiff.

Sounds an interesting piece, do you have any pictures? Google shows there was a westclox mantle clock on ebay which the seller described as being marked 'EM21'. Our local newsagent used to have an electric clock in the 70's built into an art deco illuminated Benson & Hedges sign.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 11:45 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Electrically your clock movement couldn't be simpler, its just a coil of wire across the mains.
So there are two possibilities, either something mechanically stuck, which is probably fixable by cleaning and re-lubricating, or the coil, the motor winding, has gone open circuit, and that could be very difficult to fix.

Do you have a multi-meter?

If so, with the clock unplugged, can you disconnect one side of the motor and measure its resistance ?
I just tried it on a similar clock and got 8 kilo Ohms. See if you get a reading in that ball-park.

If it's difficult to isolate the motor, as long as you remove the florescent tube, you should be able to measure its resistance between the live and neutral pins of the plug.

Amusing postscript.
I tried measuring one of my own clocks at the plug.

I rewired it some time ago with a modern plug and modern twisted pair double insulated flex salvaged from some blown incandescent xmas lights, as the flex looks retro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	239516

My meter gave a reading of infinity, open circuit, yet the clock works perfectly.

Anyone care to guess why this was?
Old 17th Aug 2021, 12:04 am   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Errr - you wired it between L and E, and were testing between L and N pins? (If we knew each other, that would be funny; as it is, it sounds like an insult - sorry )
Old 17th Aug 2021, 3:26 am   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Well by my calculation the clock draws about 30mA so I would expect the house would be plunged into darkness if I had done that.
Old 17th Aug 2021, 8:19 am   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

Aaah - there, I'm the one deserving the insult (I'm still on Wylex fuses - I'd blame it on living in the deprived inner-city, but allegedly it's posh in Whalley Range these days)

I don't have a better guess. I think that's a Metamec movement - I like them, I had some success fixing a couple where the fault was mechanical.
Old 17th Aug 2021, 8:34 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi there (?)

If the coil is O/C there are a few folk on here who can rewind it. Please don't convert it to low voltage!

It probably just needs a dismantle, clean and lubrication. Give us some pictures and we'll see what it actually is.
Old 17th Aug 2021, 9:34 am   #8
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

My meter gave a reading of infinity, open circuit, yet the clock works perfectly.

Your AVO battery is flat?
Old 17th Aug 2021, 10:19 am   #9
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

If it's not an oxidized contact somewhere (plug pins or fuse clips, or even a faulty plug fuse (the end caps are pressed on and in some designs of fuse, make contact with another disc connected to the fuse element), then I would suggest that the coil has a tiny break in it somewhere, and the mains can break down the carbonised gap but the low voltage from the meter can't.
Old 17th Aug 2021, 12:42 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Your AVO battery is flat?
Actually if I was using a moving coil multimeter rather than a digital one on Ohms, I would have got a reading and a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberfingers View Post
If it's not an oxidized contact somewhere (plug pins or fuse clips, or even a faulty plug fuse (the end caps are pressed on and in some designs of fuse, make contact with another disc connected to the fuse element), then I would suggest that the coil has a tiny break in it somewhere, and the mains can break down the carbonised gap but the low voltage from the meter can't.
The oxidised contact is sort of right in a way
It's more a matter of quantum depletion layers though

Here's the reason

Name:	clock2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	239527

I had forgotten about that diode!

Remember I said the cable and plug were from an old mains series string of fairy-lights?

We all know that these have a failure mode where as each bulb fails and shorts itself out the string take more and more current until the fuse-bulb pops (if there is one). Plus the string always looks too bright and over run to me, even when all the bulbs are intact.

Well a long time ago I started to put a series diode in the plugs of these when new.

It was a bit of a long shot that anyone would have guessed exactly what I had done and why with the clues I gave, but stranger things have happened on this forum.

So back to the clock. Should I be surprised that the clock starts up and runs fine with the diode?
Is it kinder to the motor to leave it in or should I remove it?

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 17th Aug 2021 at 12:59 pm.
Old 18th Aug 2021, 2:29 pm   #11
Aristomatic
Diode

Well only just found my thread.

Saw x9 replies thought great. Alas however! Only most about another posters wiring LOL!

I got clock off the sign & placed some sewing machine oil in couple of places, away from any wiring. Plugged in and the second hand went around, smoothly in some areas but less smooth in others, probably as noticed some damage to cogs in places. I've decided to replace with another same or similar model electric unit from most ugliest Westclox clock that has silent running and keeps good time. Hoping some horrific looking mantle clock that will get no other bids!

Thanks for input so far, it's much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190612_100256.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	239574  
Old 19th Aug 2021, 1:09 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I like it, these days you don't see many signs that command you to do something like 'Drink Pepsi' or 'Shop at Harrods' or 'Make Your Next Car a Mercury'. All part of the charm!