UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2021, 11:53 am   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Mystery B9A valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The designers even went to the extent of having a mains-transformer with a separate 21-volt winding for the PL81's filament.
They could have used the EL81 6.3v version that was used in the Ekco TMB272 TV. I guess there was a massive production of PL81's compared with the EL81 version. J.
An EL81 would probably have been more-expensive; the world was awash with the likes of the PL81 in the late-1950s!

[The TX I remembered was the KW 160 - it used a pair of 6BW6 in the modulator, not two EL84 as I had falsely remembered]
Old 1st Jun 2021, 2:04 pm   #22
Robert Gribnau
Heptode

Looking at these adverts in Practical Wireless (1958 & 1959) there does not seem to be much difference in price. But these are probably prices for end users, so not for producers of TV's.

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...8-12-IDX-6.pdf

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/ID...9-01-IDX-4.pdf
Old 1st Jun 2021, 3:30 pm   #23
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I must have been about 12 when I knocked together an audio amplifier with PL81 output, following a circuit in one of the magazines (hence about 1971). I wasn't up for metalwork, so built it on a repurposed perspex implosion screen, mounted on a lid removed from an add-on 78 rpm turntable: it just about worked. Looking online, several designs have employed the PL81 in audio roles, both single-ended and push-pull.

Paul
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 11:00 am   #24
whiskas
Octode

The PL82 is a nice valve for audio, much like an EL84 but needs 16V or so for the heater.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 11:26 am   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have an old analogue XY flatbed recorder which uses a pair of PL82s in the servo amplifier for each axis. There is, indeed, a 16.5V secondary on each mains transformer to power their heaters.
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 1:35 pm   #26
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
I must have been about 12 when I knocked together an audio amplifier with PL81 output, following a circuit in one of the magazines (hence about 1971). I wasn't up for metalwork, so built it on a repurposed perspex implosion screen, mounted on a lid removed from an add-on 78 rpm turntable: it just about worked. Looking online, several designs have employed the PL81 in audio roles, both single-ended and push-pull.

Paul
Was this "The Teleamp", in an issue of Practical Television (page 308, April 1968 issue)? If so, I too made it.

The circuit employed a Radiospares adjustable high power dropper resistor, an EF80 as the AF preamp and a PY82 half wave mains rectifier.

All "live chassis" too, but with 20nF 750V capacitors isolating the input socket - I bet they're leaky now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Teleamp circuit.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	235242  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 2nd Jun 2021 at 1:50 pm. Reason: Added text
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 2:34 pm   #27
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I remember as a teenager copying some of the circuit for my 160M tx, but a transformer for the PL81 was too expensive for my schoolboy budget.
Then, around 15 years ago I acquired some used EL81, rememberithe use in hf tx. Not long after I bought a tx, I think it is the KW160, could be the Labgear one though.
Buried behind some test gear at the moment, will need to dig it out sometime.
A lot of used PL81 you see have the black tar like coating inside, but I think all my EL81 still looked clean.
Rob
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 2:45 pm   #28
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Was this "The Teleamp", in an issue of Practical Television (page 308, April 1968 issue)? If so, I too made it.
Looks and sounds familiar, I'm sure the one I "built" also used one further valve and a rectifier, all common TV types. Then again, I've a feeling the rectifier was octal based, and I don't remember acquiring any copies of PT from that little period: a bundle of late '50s ones came my way, but I wouldn't have bought the magazine new until I was a little (not much) older than eight and three-quarters.

Paul
Old 2nd Jun 2021, 4:43 pm   #29
Restoration73
Nonode

EL81 was used in the Pye PTV which had mains transformer and earthed chassis, which
looked similar to the Pye TVT 2788 video monitor.
I have some new in boxes, also EY88 (Philips Australia) indicating their use in the transformer set designs in that continent.
Old 4th Jun 2021, 6:18 pm   #30
Bill
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gribnau View Post
Philips used the EL81 in some of their audio amplifiers like the AG9000, EL6401, EL6411 and EL6611. They even made an OTL one, the AG9006, for a 1200 Ohm speaker system (AD5032).

https://nvhrbiblio.nl/schema/Philips_AG9006.pdf
I have an EL6400 amp that uses 2x EL81 for about 20 watts output. It sounds surprisingly good from a pair of supposed not-very-linear line output valves.
Very little background noise and multiple output choice including low impedance and 100v line.
PPP PL81s might be the basis of an economic guitar amp?
Old 7th Jun 2021, 10:34 am   #31
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
The code is B6B2 in a single line, I can't see anything else.

I can't make that into a type using the document....just that it was made in Blackburn in the second week of February 1956.

There must me another line of etching that I can't see, I must try and clean the crud off the envelope!
Given the presence of a day number, I would think it's more likely to be made in 1966.
Closed Thread