UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2021, 8:06 am   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Flexible, very sticky 'new' glues

hi folks

I thought I might bring to your attention a new (to me) kind of glue I have stumbled across. I first met it in the guise of shoe glue - 'Aquasure SR', and then in the guise of a general purpose adhesive 'Loctite extreme glue' - they appear to be similar stuff.

They are a transparent one-pack material which comes out like a very viscous liquid - more viscous than normal epoxy - and which slowly flows and allows a really long set up time. And then, over 24 hours, they go off and turn into a kind of plastic layer with the approximate feel and flexibility of a plastic toothpaste tube, which seems pretty good at staying stuck to the substrates you have spread it on. It will also hold as a plastic 'cap' when sealing over a leak in something, without needing to bond on a patch - I have repaired an air bed with it, this way.

This is the first flexible adhesive I have found which seems to combine sticking power and flexibility - I have a pair of work boots whose soles are doing really well, glued back on with the stuff, which is normally a really demanding application.

I've not yet found a role for it in radio repair, but I can imagine trying it on speaker suspensions - but it is potentially *very* messy, so needs a bit of thought before lashing it on.

cheers
Mark
Old 25th Oct 2021, 8:24 am   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Flexible, very sticky 'new' glues

This looks excellent. I like the 'dead German' type high boots, that are extremely expensive new, and available as ex para boots, once used extensively by the German army. But the last two pairs, although hardly worn, have had detached soles - I have a perfectly ok pair in the bin just now I will rescue and try this on. It has to be good, as you do not want the sole coming off on a long walk!
I wonder how you might clamp soles while drying, and how much is needed?
Thanks for this.
Tony
Old 25th Oct 2021, 8:37 am   #3
sortedradio
Heptode

I have just bought a 100g tube for £5 in Wickes clearance sale. I'm not sure what I will use it for, but it sounds useful! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 9:12 am   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I wonder how you might clamp soles while drying, and how much is needed?
I use 5 or 6 big crocodile clips (aha, an electronic connection ) to hold the welt / upper to the sole, while the stuff sets. I reckon my 28g tube of 'SR' will repair 3 or 4 'sides' of a split boot, so 1 or 2 boots-worth of detached soles.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:19 am   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

What's the shelf life like? I've used a similar product called Unibond Repair Extreme in the past although it doesn't seem to be available any more. It was very effective but once opened it hardened in the tube within a few weeks.

Alan
Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:50 am   #6
mark_in_manc
Octode

I've had the 'SR' for nearly a year, and it's OK. Loctite I have only had since this August, and again there's no degredation yet.

The only glues I've recently had a problem with, shelf-life wise, are (original, foaming, activates with water) Gorilla glue, and expensive 2-pack Methacrylate 'Scigrip'. The latter is excellent, like the even more expensive Plexus MA300 - but really costly.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 11:33 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Thanks Mark. I'll give the Loctite Extreme a try when the need arises.

Alan
Old 25th Oct 2021, 3:32 pm   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

Gorilla original has worked for me for boot soles and even a welly repair.
In addition to wedges the remainder of the tube was used for fixing hammer heads. Yet I do know of two places that sell hammer shafts.
Gorilla glue has the advantage of basket sharing with food shopping unlike the hammer shafts that come from the flea market or an equine/livestock place.
It is a case of one fits all so I open a tube when I have got a job list for it.
Gorilla original of one of the glues that goes conductive and corrosive if it is used to hold something that gets warm in use. It is similar to the type often misused for holding components in power supplies.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 9:12 pm   #9
greenstar
Octode

Shelf life is an issue. I find gorilla expensive, so depressing to use a bit and find the rest is unusable after a few months. Shoe soles I would think would need taking off and doing in one go - surely if just one split area is glued, the rest would soon open up - best to take the sole off it it will come and glue the whole lot?
I did use ordinary silicone mastic on a pair or office shoes, which have since stood a lot of wear. I think there is a super silicone now.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 10:31 pm   #10
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Shoe soles I would think would need taking off and doing in one go - surely if just one split area is glued, the rest would soon open up - best to take the sole off it it will come and glue the whole lot?
We may be at cross-purposes - mine tend to split the stiching along the welt, only for part of the boot, and the sole stays stuck to the midsole. So this is a part-repair - and yes, sometimes another bit lets go at a later date!