UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2021, 8:23 am   #81
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: DX FM reception.

Yesterday afternoon (ie the 19th, about 3 to 4 PM BST) Arabic language speech could be heard on 87.6 and 87.7 Mc/s. Later on, about 5 PM BST, some Spanish and French on those frequencies.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 8:32 pm   #82
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

This evening I've been hearing intermittent bursts of what sounds to me like Arabic speech around 101MHz, using just my Roberts R24 and its inbuilt whip-antenna.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 10:08 am   #83
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Arabic around here comes from London and Luton...not DX.
Old 24th Jul 2021, 12:11 pm   #84
emeritus
Dekatron

Yesterday morning I dot two strong French FM stations on the analogue portable tranny I keep by my bed using only the earpiece as the aerial. France 2 North on about 95.5 and France Entier a bit higher up. Can't vouch for the accuracy of the tuning dial. They had faded out/got swamped by UK stations by 9.30AM.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 6:46 am   #85
SteveCG
Nonode

After days of hearing no DX, yesterday afternoon (Fri) at 3:15 PM BST there was some Spanish language on 87.6 and 87.7 Mc/s which lasted for the few minutes I was listening.
Old 12th Aug 2021, 7:32 am   #86
SteveCG
Nonode

Last night about 9 PM BST I tried listening on 87.6 / 87.7 Mc/s for meteor 'pings' as the Perseid meteor shower maximum is expected. My set-up was simple: a 'halo' aerial ( omni-directional, horizontal polarization ) feeding into a late 1980s Rotel tuner. Indeed I did hear a range of them: some short duration but a few longer, about 2 or 3 seconds, long enough to light the stereo Led and the 'tuning locked' Led.

The optical astronomers reckon on seeing about 2 to 3 a minute on a clear night - but we do not need clear skies for radio detections - nor dark skies either!

I heard a couple this morning (Wed) at about 6:30 AM and will be listening out further today and tonight.
Old 13th Aug 2021, 12:49 pm   #87
SteveCG
Nonode

An update: I listened out at several different times yesterday and heard a similar number of pings - that is nothing dramatic in terms of numbers. For those that were of long enough duration I reckon I was hearing German language transmissions. I've been listening out this morning and still the same ping rate.

By the way: In the UK the Perseid meteor source is a circumpolar source; that is, it is above the Northern Horizon all the time so there will be a feed of meteroids all day long. On previous occasions I have noticed that the peak of events can happen at a different time than the optical astronomers report - simply because they are restricted to night-time whereas radio techniques 'work' all the time, daylight or night-time.
Old 15th Aug 2021, 6:17 am   #88
SteveCG
Nonode

A further update: I listened out yesterday (Sat) at various times and was getting about the same ping rate as reported in post no. 86. Similarly this morning (Sun) at about 6 AM BST.
Old 16th Aug 2021, 10:55 am   #89
SteveCG
Nonode

Fuher listening yesterday and this morning - but nothing like a peak - indeed I feel the ping rate is lessing.
Closed Thread