UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2023, 7:31 pm   #21
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: TIM + Dial A Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
There was also, ahem, a 'sexually-transmitted diseases' information recording, and we, as schoolboys, used to call it up and listen out of vulgar curiosity to things which, in theory, might affect us as we moved further into adulthood. I still remember the number:

01 246 8071.
The rumour that went round our school yard, was if you dialled HOG and a lady answered with the code word "Porridge", if you replied "Quaker Oats" she would put you through to a (cough) professional girl.

HOG or rather HO4 was the number you dialled from 061 area for the Horwich district operator!

When I mentioned this in the uk.telecom newsgroup some years ago, someone who went to a different Manchester school, said he remembers the rumour too.

I thought (std) 246 8071 was used for something mote wholesome, "Dish of the Day" perhaps?

Pre "All Figure Numbers" you would dial ASK instead of 246 for these recorded information services.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 8:21 pm   #22
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post

I thought (std) 246 8071 was used for something mote wholesome, "Dish of the Day" perhaps?
It might've been 8072. Both numbers stick in the mind. I seem to recall we'd dial any old 01 246 80XX number just to see what we got! As Graham says, the 01 246 numbers came up in TV drama, so just wondering if 01 246 XXXX was used for special things? A throwback to 'ASK' but with limited four-digit endings?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 8:44 pm   #23
lesmw0sec
Octode

I recall when dial a disk was introduced, thinking it might be a whiz to couple the line to a tape machine and do a bit or recording. Only when played through a decent system was the limited bandwidth and gross distortion fully appreciated!
Old 4th Jan 2023, 10:34 pm   #24
winston_1
Hexode

Before 160, UMP was used for cricket score.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 10:47 pm   #25
stainless
Tetrode

I remember groups of us in our teens dialling a disc from a payphone, and trying to recognise it from the first half second or so before the pips went, demanding money. 1973 or so.
Old 5th Jan 2023, 2:46 am   #26
Hermitcrab
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
It was (is?) possible to listen to a recorded explanation of the international dial tones as well. Certainly had a quick listen to dial a-disk when bored at work. Indeed I remember using two phones at once for mock stereo.

Peter
I remember the Post Office providing a free recording detailing international tones when International Dialling was introduced, but can't remember the number.

If you want to know the ringing, engaged tones etc in the vast majority of international destinations they are available at https://www.3amsystems.com/World_Tone_Database
You will even find the route tone, a series of very rapid pips to indicate when a call is being connected, for some countries such as Benin and Niger. In the 1970s you could hear this tone going on for a full minute sometimes on calls to France, followed by that joyful moment when the distant phone started ringing. The route tone has been discontinued in France since the 1990s.
Old 5th Jan 2023, 11:20 am   #27
Courtney Louise
Octode

The number was certainly 160 well into the 1980's in Birmingham. I remember taping "Girls just want to have fun" by Cyndi Lauper back then.