UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2022, 2:50 pm   #1
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Record cleaning machines

I know this has been discussed a few times so apologies if I am covering old ground.

I have just got out some old Christmas LPs and have been disappointed by the numerous crackles and pops on them. I am very careful with my records and don't think there are many if any actual scratches on them. Quite a few of my older records have similar surface noise to some extent.

I have been looking at record cleaning machines and am interested in either an ultrasonic one or the more expensive ProJect VC-E vacuum type. Neither are cheap but I may go for one or the other after Christmas if I can be convinced of their effectiveness. Both get good reviews.

Does anyone have any experience of either type of machine and its effectiveness?
Old 6th Dec 2022, 4:03 pm   #2
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: Record cleaning machines

I got one of these ultrasonic record cleaners and it is just the best thing since sliced bread and pretty reasonably priced too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VEVOR-Ultra...091DQ69RC?th=1

Effectiveness?

Very!

Steve.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 5:05 pm   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Looks ideal, I am not sure I would have it at too high a temperature though for records.

Peter
Old 6th Dec 2022, 5:16 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I was hoping that the ultrasonic one would be good as I also restore clocks as a hobby and an ultrasonic cleaner would be good for clock parts.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 5:18 pm   #5
Mark James
Hexode

Would this be OK with 78's? Presumably best to keep the temp below about 40 degrees C? I have a smaller one that I have used for clock parts - works well. Have used it on a 200+ year old 7 day movement and also 1920's Smiths car clocks. Obviously best to dismantle them first!

Last edited by Mark James; 6th Dec 2022 at 5:21 pm. Reason: Addition
Old 6th Dec 2022, 5:20 pm   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

I will let you know if I get one!

What cleaning fluid should be used for records?

Last edited by PaulR; 6th Dec 2022 at 5:32 pm.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 6:30 pm   #7
fetteler
Octode

I don't use the heater and I keep an eye on the bath temperature as it warms up of its own accord after a while, I guess the transducers loose heat to the tank surface.

Cleaning fluid is a minefield and there's all sorts of esoteric overpriced stuff out there. A little (really a little - a drop or two) of detergent does help to wet the surface and loosen the dirt. Rinse in clean water afterwards, enthusiasts use demin water but I don't... I spin the record to shed the excess drops of water and then air dry in the handy little rack that came with the cleaner.

Some folks use photographic wetting agent which is a bit posher than my general purpose detergent and I think I might treat myself to a bottle. Ilfotol is a favourite.

Steve.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 6:57 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

Thanks for that, Steve, the tap water here is hard so maybe demineralised water to rinse would be best
Old 6th Dec 2022, 8:34 pm   #9
fetteler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Thanks for that, Steve, the tap water here is hard so maybe demineralised water to rinse would be best
Yes, the aim is not to leave deposits on the record surface when it's dried off. To that end, spinning the records and having the centrifugal force fling the droplets off is a really good thing.

Love your avatar BTW

Steve.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 10:10 pm   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
Yes, the aim is not to leave deposits on the record surface when it's dried off. To that end, spinning the records and having the centrifugal force fling the droplets off is a really good thing.
I think this highlights one of the advantages of vacuum cleaning because the residue is sucked up with the fluid. I've no experience of ultrasonic cleaning but find that my vacuum machine works extremely well. From PaulR's viewpoint I can see the attraction of ultrasonics for cleaning clock parts as well as records.

Alan
Old 6th Dec 2022, 10:16 pm   #11
joebog1
Banned

The VPI is the one I use. Does a superb job. I use Liquinox critical component cleaner as the "soap ".

Highly recommended.
https://www.musicdirect.com/equipmen...aning-machine/

Joe
Old 6th Dec 2022, 11:21 pm   #12
locknut
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Would this be OK with 78's? Presumably best to keep the temp below about 40 degrees C?
Whatever cleaning fluid you use, take care to ensure that there is no isopropyl alcohol in it, or indeed other solvents - shellac will dissolve readily in alcohol.

Many proprietary record cleaning fluids contain ipa.

Last edited by locknut; 6th Dec 2022 at 11:47 pm.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 5:39 pm   #13
RojDW48
Nonode

I use a Moth RCM - scrub and suck!! Just the ticket.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 7:35 pm   #14
Electronpusher0
Nonode

The recomended solution for LPs (NOT 78s) is deionised water, IPA and a couple of drops of photographic wetting agent.
There are folks on e-bay who buy a 5l container and split it into 100ml lots. They make quite a bit of money I am sure but 100ml will last forever in this application.

Peter
Old 7th Dec 2022, 7:37 pm   #15
OldTechFan96
Octode

Do members here have any experience with the Knosti Disco Antistat Record Cleaning Machine? It is well reviewed on Amazon.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one for some time now but I have been put off by two things:

Firstly, various reviews suggest that the included cleaning solution leaves a residue that builds up on the stylus.

Secondly, some reviewers complain about the record clamp not being too good at keeping labels dry. This seems a shame as I think there is a rubber gasket between the record clamp and the record. I really don't want to risk things getting wet.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 7:39 pm   #16
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
I use a Moth RCM - scrub and suck!! Just the ticket.
Me too. I bought mine when they offered it as a kit. Build your own box according to plans they supplied.

The suck is provided by a vacuum cleaner pump. That is why it makes such a racket.

Craig
Old 7th Dec 2022, 8:27 pm   #17
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
.... but 100ml will last forever in this application.
Are you sure you mean that Peter? The VEVOR ultrasonic cleaner mentioned earlier has a 6 litre capacity. I make my own solution 1 litre at a time for my vacuum system and have used a good number of litres over the last few years.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2022, 10:20 pm   #18
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
Do members here have any experience with the Knosti Disco Antistat Record Cleaning Machine? It is well reviewed on Amazon.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one for some time now but I have been put off by two things:

Firstly, various reviews suggest that the included cleaning solution leaves a residue that builds up on the stylus.

Secondly, some reviewers complain about the record clamp not being too good at keeping labels dry. This seems a shame as I think there is a rubber gasket between the record clamp and the record. I really don't want to risk things getting wet.
I don't think it's primarily the cleaning solution that causes the residue but the dirt from the record that is held in suspension. Air drying is the real problem (as it is with simple ultrasonics) because as the fluid evaporates a certain amount of material is left behind on the record surface.

I can also see that any system involving vertical rotation could cause problems with label wetting if the protection provided is inadequate or deteriorates over time.

To be fair I've never used a Knosti but to me it doesn't appear to offer much in the way of advantages over cleaning by hand.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2022, 10:46 pm   #19
PaulR
Dekatron

What about ammonia as a cleaning agent? It shines windows really well!
Old 8th Dec 2022, 12:11 am   #20
joebog1
Banned

Smells superb too, Paul.

JOe
Closed Thread