UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:20 pm   #1
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default GPO Rotary Dial Trimphone.

I am thinking of buying a unrestored GPO rotary Dial Trimphone, are they compatible with the modern system, or do I need to carry out some modifications.
Any advice appreciated.

Ken G6HZG.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:25 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO Rotary Dial Trimphone.

They work but you need to ensure that your line accepts pulse dialling, and note that the REN is very high, so really good ringing is only possible if there are as few other devices with ringers on the same line.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:37 pm   #3
SeanStevens
Octode

I believe the early models had a permanently luminous dial - I think that it is tritium. It is radioactive.

https://www.lightstraw.uk/ate/tao/tr...adiation1.html

take care

SEAN
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:38 pm   #4
its ur aerial
Hexode

Thanks Nick, we have just been updated by our internet and phone provider with fiber direct to the house and our phone now uses the internet.
So I assume any old phone with Pulse dialing will be a non starter

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:39 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Unless you interpose a pulse-to-tone converter.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:43 pm   #6
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
I believe the early models had a permanently luminous dial - I think that it is tritium. It is radioactive.

https://www.lightstraw.uk/ate/tao/tr...adiation1.html

take care

SEAN
Ohh eer.....
Thanks for that info. Sean
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:49 pm   #7
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Unless you interpose a pulse-to-tone converter.
Just had a look at these on a large online auction site, all round the £50 mark
Not sure I want a Trimphone that much
Thanks all for the informed response
Ken G6HZG.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 7:54 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A design classic aesthetically but quite horrid to use. I've never liked them that much either.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 8:03 pm   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Ken, PM sent.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 10:00 pm   #10
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

I worked for the GPO as a Youth In Training in 69 - 70 assisted with the installation of quite a few trimphone's. We had to go back on several to swap out for 746's because they were not stable when dialing out. Later on in life I had a keypad trimphone at home which was easier to use but I got to really dislike the warble on an incoming call.

That said, they do make a fashionable addition to a home, especially as 70's furniture is now on trend.

Rog
Old 16th Nov 2022, 10:39 pm   #11
Richard_FM
Octode

I've seen one site that sells reconditioned ones with a BT plug, but I'm not sure if they are tone dial though.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:04 am   #12
Tim
Dekatron

I have a couple of the later ones with the non-glowing dial, and a push button one as well I think. The early dials were indeed slightly radio active, and I gather used a liquid filled tube around the dial. Not a problem with single instruments in the home, but a different matter when there are hundreds being stored in a scrap cage at the depot, awaiting disposal. ISTR reading somewhere that there was a limit on how many could be stored together in one place.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 2:53 am   #13
hamid_1
Heptode

Don't worry too much about radiation from the dial in old Trimphones. Tritium has a relatively short half-life (less than 13 years) so given the average age of a vintage Trimphone, nearly all of the tritium will be gone by now. It was only a problem when large numbers of dials were being stored, as Tim says.

If your phone line does not support pulse dialling, you will still be able to use a vintage dial phone to receive calls, but the dial won't work. To make a call, use another tone-dialling phone on the same line to dial the required number, then pick up the vintage phone and hang up the modern phone, in that exact order. This is easiest to do if the modern phone is a cordless one; you can place them both together and quickly swap from one to the other. This method works without needing to buy a pulse to tone converter. If you do get one, you can dial numbers on the vintage phone for a more authentic experience.

You can find vintage push-button Trimphones with * and # keys - these ones support tone dialling on the latest phone lines. Push-button Trimphones with only numbers 1-9 and 0 are pulse dialling. If you have a phone with a tone/pulse switch you can set it to pulse and try it on your line to see if pulse dialling is supported.

You can also find modern reproduction trimphone lookalikes, with 'dials' that have the * and # and generate tones for use on modern systems.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:21 pm   #14
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
That said, they do make a fashionable addition to a home, especially as 70's furniture is now on trend
Unfortunately mine are a sort of cat-sick green colour which I don’t think will ever be on trend.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:35 pm   #15
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Quote:
That said, they do make a fashionable addition to a home, especially as 70's furniture is now on trend
Unfortunately mine are a sort of cat-sick green colour which I don’t think will ever be on trend.
Have faith Tim... if you sit your trimphone on a G Plan wall unit next to a cheese plant then you have what was the 70's in a perfect nutshell !

Rog
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:44 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

But you'll still have to put the handset down to have the spare hand needed to hold the phone body down while you dial. Style over ergonomics. Style can come back into fashion, but once the function is got wrong... And people paid extra, every month, for this.

I think the danger with the tritium was if the glass got broken. Inhaled traces are quite different in risk compared to merely being near the stuff in a sealed container.

David
Old 17th Nov 2022, 1:55 pm   #17
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ur aerial View Post
'Any advice appreciated...'
The original carbon inset microphones are rubbish! They go crackly very quicky. They're the same mic as those used in some GPO headsets so spares are available. There's a 'tube-of-pastilles' line regulator within the instrument that can flap about too but oughtn't be a problem.

We had a Trimphone upstairs when I was a kid. I used to get a belt every now and again by touching the metal recessed screw that holds the handset together at the top, and my earthed metal table lamp. Turns out holds the mic in place and I'd be fiddling, likely: getting a tingle when making and breaking the loop off the ASTIC.

As others have opined, they're a case of style over substance and you'll have a job dialling single-handed, as the whole instrument will turn. And don't remove and chew the tritium dial backlight insert either, just in case...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 6:35 pm   #18
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Remember that a TRIMphone is likely to be old enough that it's gone through 3 haff-lives of the tritium already. So it's down to 1/8th of the activity it was when new.

My late father worked with tritium professionally at one point. When I got my first TRIMphone he took one look at the betalight tube and said :

'The biggest risk is that if the glass breaks it will cut you. The second risk is that the phosphor is probably mildly toxic. As for the tritium, the amount in that tiny tube will do you no harm at all unless you do something very silly with it'

So I treat the dials with care, but I will take them apart to clean/adjust the governor, etc.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 10:56 pm   #19
Richard_FM
Octode

I've heard that putting Blu-Tak on the feet will stop them from turning when dialling.
Old 18th Nov 2022, 12:05 pm   #20
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Cat-sick green? That's two-tone avocado! I don't think you've got a future in advertising, Tim...
Closed Thread