UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2023, 6:50 pm   #21
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.
Default Re: What is a Sweep Generator?

Wow, am sooo glad I looked at this thread (almost didn't) - lovely replies one and all, good clarity and like the perspective given to ensure the various types are made clear(-er).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
If you fancy making one the Haigh design is very good. I have made this myself.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=172685

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=186073

Peter
Thanks for the links Peter, have met the design elsewhere (unattributed) but nice to know it's a good one, and knowing how to cope with "unobtanium coils" is a great help too.

p.s. Am I the only one who finds the search of this site hard to manage? Such great and useful information..buried somewhere...searches provide many, many results yet no easy way to organise/structure them?
Then some kind soul like Peter pops out threads you never even knew to look for!
Old 15th Jan 2023, 7:14 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Use the Google search box top centre, rather than the other one
Old 16th Jan 2023, 9:16 am   #23
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDarzi View Post
Then some kind soul like Peter pops out threads you never even knew to look for!
I have to confess a certain amount of self interest as I spent quite a bit of time on the Haigh wobbulator.

Peter
Old 16th Jan 2023, 12:08 pm   #24
knobtwiddler
Octode

For those of us who do most of our work in the audio frequency domain, it's worth knowing that there are quite a few pieces of software that will generate a sweep in conjunction with a soundcard. One often seen used in tape machine servicing is audiotester.de (shareware, but with a freeware mode that shuts down after a few minutes). Audiotester has a preset that will make a flat sweep and plot it, to great accuracy. If you plan to use an external generator and plot a line using software, you'll need to understand how to configure your FFT in order to get a true response or it won't be a flat measurement.
Old 19th Jan 2023, 10:59 pm   #25
PaulDarzi
Tetrode

Location: Near Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border (in WR), UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Use the Google search box top centre, rather than the other one
Thank you!
For some reason I had overlooked that search option (my excuse is, I try and avoid Google for as much as possible as they grab soooo much from other sites and uses, however sometimes with their search and presentation...it just works), as you say it works much better than the forum s/w version, I do appreciate you pointing that out
Old 20th Jan 2023, 9:27 am   #26
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Folling the reference to the Haigh Wobbulator I notice that Spectrum comms are offing a coil set for it.
Because of this I have ordered another batch of Haigh boards and will be offering them in the appropriate section.

Peter
Closed Thread