UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2022, 1:15 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Pulse to Tone converter advice needed

Has anybody used this device shown below ?
It appears from the ratings that some people manage to get results and others fail.
I would like to use the phone featured in the attachments, but I have a talktalk land line which I believe is incompatible with pulse dialling
I want to use the land line not VoIP or ATA
Any advice one how to go about this would be appreciated

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=IjG0SjVVGeJY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221121_095032.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	268483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221121_095040.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	268484   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221121_095058.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	268485  
Old 21st Nov 2022, 4:37 pm   #2
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: Pulse to Tone converter advice needed

Hi,

In the 80's used to get by with a caller ID unit that stores incoming numbers which then allowed me to speed dial without using the telephone dial.

Of course the downside is that you cannot enter add direct (they have to ring you first) to be added.

The unit sits between the phone socket & the telephone instrument which would require your phone to have a UK Plug rather than direct wired - noting it seems to have an original line cord.

Some people prefer using the dial for authenticity but nowadays most numbers are 11 digits which can be a bit of a faff compared to my memories when local numbers were only 4 x digits.

Not sure if you still get them but internet search would confirm.

It is likely the phone has a low impedance bell so you may also have issues with ringing if you add more instruments to the line thus exceeding the REN limit of [4]

Good luck,
Rog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3082.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	268498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	268499  
Old 21st Nov 2022, 6:59 pm   #3
af024
Octode

There are probably many devices out there, but I bought one of these:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224769422...QAAOSwpZ5iTCFi
It works very well, has proper UK BT connectors and doesn't need any PSU or battery.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 7:08 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi there.
I've seen that converter advertised and wondered myself how well it works. (<edit> the one in post #1, not post #3, that's a new one on me.)

Another unit called the "Dialgizmo" works in a similar fashion, and arguably has a proven track record with UK enthusiasts.

There is also a little unit called the "Rotatone" which works slightly differently, and requires wiring directly to the dial contacts.

A few of us on this forum have built units based on an ATTiny85 microcontroller that work similarly to the Rototone, I have a tele 232 using one and it works very well on my PABX system.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 21st Nov 2022 at 7:18 pm.
Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:03 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I can vouch for the Dialgizmo, being the owner of one. It is, however, more expensive at £39.95 and is sent from Australia.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 1:41 pm   #6
pentoad
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Hi,

In the 80's used to get by with a caller ID unit that stores incoming numbers which then allowed me to speed dial without using the telephone dial.

Of course the downside is that you cannot enter add direct (they have to ring you first) to be added.

The unit sits between the phone socket & the telephone instrument which would require your phone to have a UK Plug rather than direct wired - noting it seems to have an original line cord.

Some people prefer using the dial for authenticity but nowadays most numbers are 11 digits which can be a bit of a faff compared to my memories when local numbers were only 4 x digits.

It is likely the phone has a low impedance bell so you may also have issues with ringing if you add more instruments to the line thus exceeding the REN limit of [4]

Good luck,
Rog
Is that an analogue device?
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 2:26 pm   #7
pentoad
Hexode

The chinese device I highlighted before has two connection points not three wires as mine has - green red and white.
Not sure where the white goes

Here is a link about the wiring

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/f...p?topic=161.60
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 7:27 pm   #8
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentoad View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Good luck,
Rog
Yes... DTMF dial out via an analogue (copper) phone line. Stopped using it after my other half spilt a drink over it. Might still work after drying out so it's yours FOC if you want it ?

Rog
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 3:24 pm   #9
pentoad
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Good luck,
Rog
Yes... DTMF dial out via an analogue (copper) phone line. Stopped using it after my other half spilt a drink over it. Might still work after drying out so it's yours FOC if you want it ?

Rog
Thank you, It could be worth a try
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 5:15 pm   #10
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rog
Thank you, It could be worth a try
Ok... just PM me with you address & I will pop it in the post.

The water only entered the PSTN O/P port which I unplugged straight away & has had many years to dry out.

Rog
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 5:26 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...and if it was only water (as opposed to something nasty like Coke), it will probably be fine.
Closed Thread