UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2020, 10:44 am   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default TV System Switch Lubrication

Good morning all.

I guess this could really cover all sorts of multi-way switches but I'm wondering what methods people have used to clean and lubricate sliding system switches in dual standard televisions, particularly the long thin multi-way "Paxolin" or "Paxolin-a-like" switches.

In the distant past I've used simple switch cleaner but this seems to affect the insulated body of the switch and leaves it rather stiff to operate. Since then I've used a small amount of switch cleaner sprayed into a plastic container (such as the spray lid) and then dabbed a little bit of the chemical onto each metal contact with a screwdriver. This seems to work okay for the metal contacts (although it can be a slow and awkward process if the switch is rather inaccessible) but it does nothing to help clean the insulated parts of the switch.

I've spotted "Dry Lubricant" available from RS but I'd rather just make sure the insulated parts are clean and free to slide against each other without adding any extra gunge on top (unless adding lubrication is actually indicated).

Thanks all.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 1:29 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: TV System Switch Lubrication

You could use both switch cleaner dabbed via a cotton bud, or Brasso for the really dirty bits, and the dry film lubricant for the plastic. This is very handy stuff for plastic-on-plastic moving parts.
A word of warning. Some years ago friend was repairing a Thorn 1400 and sprayed the system switch with switch cleaner. He left it on test, went into his house for a minute and when he came back out the set was ablaze! Luckily his wooden shed survived, but there was little left of the TV.
Closed Thread