UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2020, 10:34 am   #1
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Default AVO VCM MK2 Complete Meter replacement

Hi all,

Is there any donor meter for the VCM MK2 tester that can be modified to match the original meter specs such as the Simpson 29t used for the later VCM MK3-160 testers?

I have a second MK2 which has its complete internal meter assembly removed except the bakelite housing and scale.
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 11:31 am   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: AVO VCM MK2 Complete Meter replacement

If you still have the Bakelite housing I have successfully transferred the guts of a cheap Chinese meter into the Avo housing to preserve the appearance. If you can't get a usable sensitivity use an op-amp to change it.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 12:24 am   #3
retailer
Heptode

Chriswood's idea does work - I got my MKII working by fitting a replacement meter I had in my spares drawer, as long as you can bring it to Avo spec with a combination of shunt and/or swamp resistors, a new scale was made with Inkscape, black perspex was cut to fill in the size difference between the meters, and a LED was set into the perspex and connected to the backlight sockets to mimic the back light which could no longer be seen due to the different meter.

Later on I decided I wanted to keep the look of the original meter, that at some time in the past had been fitted with replacement movement which was not only out of spec but the hand made bracket supporting the scale was off-centre giving nonlinear readings - a new bracket and an opamp meter driver restored the original look of the tester, this is not such a bad idea as the opamp meter driver can be configured to limit current flow to the movement to provide a measure of protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200414_222906.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	221717   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_215617.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	221718   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200427_222815.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	221719   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic c.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	221720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wex millivolt.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	221721  

Old 3rd Dec 2020, 1:43 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

please remove that post mods!! the meter is available though.

Joe
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 3:58 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Post deleted, but I presume that the cost is still postage only?

David
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 9:11 am   #6
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Post deleted, but I presume that the cost is still postage only?

David
Sorry was this a question for me?

I've seen some conflicting information about the MK2 meter but just to confirm it is a 100ohm approx 440uA FSD meter? I have a 1mA 100ohm meter slightly smaller than the AVO which I may consider using that opamp driver to shunt the current down to approx 440-460uA.
Old 3rd Dec 2020, 10:09 am   #7
Station X

I think perhaps Joe meant to post in another thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 11:53 pm   #8
retailer
Heptode

I believe the original MKII meter is 440uA 100ohms, that is what I worked on when I made an op amp driver for my MKII.
Old 9th Dec 2020, 1:49 pm   #9
Matthew kane
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
I believe the original MKII meter is 440uA 100ohms, that is what I worked on when I made an op amp driver for my MKII.
What was the base meter you worked on with the opamp driver?
Old 10th Dec 2020, 12:31 am   #10
retailer
Heptode

The meter that came with my VCM had been worked on sometime in the past - a sticker placed on the back was from a meter/instrument service company - 440uA 110ohms had been written in pencil on the sticker - the internal movement was not the original Avo movement but a replacement fitted with an internal shunt of 1.2k to try to bring it to spec. While the FSD of the meter was 440uA the resistance was closer to 185Ohms, as the AVO meter shunts/multpliers had been calculated for a meter resistance of 100Ohms so the meter would never give correct results. To compound this, the person that fitted the movement had made a bracket to support the plastic scale, the bracket was poorly made as the scale was off centre - slightly offset to the right making the readings non linear. I did some calculations and eventually worked out the movement could not be bought into spec with shunts/multipliers so I made up the opamp driver using the 440uA movement, I did have other donor movements I could have fitted, but that meant time spent making brackets etc so I just went ahead with the 440uA movement. I theory just about any movement would work as all of the heavy lifting is done with the opamp driver - you just need 100 ohms resistance across the input (this is what the AVO wants to see) and then adjust the opamp gain so the movement reads full scale when the 100ohms has 440uA through it.
Closed Thread