UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2020, 2:41 pm   #101
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell Purchases

Photos for Post 98.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201030_225636890.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	219298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201030_225812316.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	219300  
Old 31st Oct 2020, 2:53 pm   #102
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Mk. 5 Series 2 Update.

Have previously planned to replace the 2 capacitors with a new twin can 50uF 500V with a very local collection (to save postage) but currently they have gone out of stock.
Dual can 50uF/500V capacitor (with local collection) now back in stock but found out from measurement that they are too high/long to fit into available space in the Series 2.

But have ordered 2, one for the Mk. 5 which has plenty of space and most likely will benefit from old dual can being replaced and one for the Series 2, am hoping may be able to make more space by relocating one of the motor run capacitors that is currently in the way.
Old 31st Oct 2020, 3:52 pm   #103
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Ring a tuner if you've one locally - they'll have various suitable offcuts. Our fabric shop also has a variety of wool felts in various thicknesses. I haven't investigated them for pressure pad use though.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 12:22 pm   #104
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Arrow Re: Brenell Purchases

Using a Scholl foam based footcare product made replacement pressure pads for the Erase and PB/Record heads, so far they are working well. The tape is now firmly held against the erase head and erase is now fully erasing recordings. Playback is still working well.

Did a quick test microphone recording with good signal level at the EM 87 but playback was weak (volume wise), increasing volume setting to hear it better also made the hum signal very noticeably. Will have to see what Line recording is like.

Hum level in Amplifier mode is greatly reduced compared to Playback mode.

Tried to track down source of the hum with scope but looks like it will be difficult. Hum can be just be herd at volume level 3 and increases as volume level is increased.

Can see a definite hum signal (maybe a composite 50/100Hz ripple/noise signal) at the input to the second stage (pin 2) of the ECC 83 which is fed from the volume control but minimal hum from the EF 86 & ECC 83 first stage. Removing the EF 86 somewhat reduces the hum signal, removing the ECC 83 results in there being no sound at all.

Intermittently when the volume control is set to high level ( 8 or above) the amplifier breaks into loud oscillation (Playback mode but not in Amplifier mode) a large very clean stable sinewave of period around 115uS, i.e. frequency around 8.7kHz

Tried to check source of the oscillation but when present just the act of connecting the scope lead can stop the oscillation so making it very difficult to trace further.

Am wondering about the second shorter spring in the attached photos, one end end connects to the mounting pin for the L2 pressure pad arm and the other end connects to a small lug on the pressure pad operating lever.

This spring is not shown in the Series 2 Operating Instructions manual head layout sketch (see attached Fig 1) and does not appear to be fitted to the Mk 5 (Series 1). I am wondering if it is a standard fit on the Series 2 ?

It stops the pressure pad operating lever from relaxing/moving when in Playback mode and maybe puts a little more pressure on the pressure pads on the heads but the long spring seems to apply plenty of pressure on its own even if the shorter spring is not fitted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201031_192353020.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	219343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201031_192813048.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	219347  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fig 2.pdf (219.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 1st Nov 2020, 12:32 pm   #105
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I have just noticed in Fig 2 from above that as well as the shorter spring not being shown the lug that the left hand end of the shorter spring fits onto, is also not shown.

The lug is present on the Mk. 5
Old 1st Nov 2020, 12:36 pm   #106
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Mk. 5 Series 2 Update.

Fitting the metal screening cans to the EF 86 and ECC 83 valves made no difference to the hum noise issue.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 4:11 pm   #107
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Am wondering about the second shorter spring in the attached photos, one end end connects to the mounting pin for the L2 pressure pad arm and the other end connects to a small lug on the pressure pad operating lever.

This spring is not shown in the Series 2 Operating Instructions manual head layout sketch (see attached Fig 1) and does not appear to be fitted to the Mk 5 (Series 1). I am wondering if it is a standard fit on the Series 2 ?

It stops the pressure pad operating lever from relaxing/moving when in Playback mode and maybe puts a little more pressure on the pressure pads on the heads but the long spring seems to apply plenty of pressure on its own even if the shorter spring is not fitted.
The pressure-pad springs’ arrangement also baffled me back in the 1970s, when I got my new “bare” Brennel deck and came to fit the heads - trying to work out the intended spring configuration on a three-head deck. There was no manual provided with the deck (and no internet back then to find one), and it almost seemed as though it was arbitrary, that Brennel hadn’t bothered to work it out, and that they thought it didn’t matter whether the pressure on the pads was doubled or halved by the springs. It was just one of the things that made me think that Brennel had just lost the plot when you compared them with, e.g, the “new” Revox decks. I dropped in at their Islington factory in the early 1970s to get some spares, and definitely got the impression of a tech. company that didn’t know where it was going (at least in its domestic/semi-professional market - which is where I was).

Mike
Old 1st Nov 2020, 5:04 pm   #108
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
It was just one of the things that made me think that Brennel had just lost the plot when you compared them with, e.g, the “new” Revox decks. I dropped in at their Islington factory in the early 1970s to get some spares, and definitely got the impression of a tech. company that didn’t know where it was going (at least in its domestic/semi-professional market - which is where I was).

Mike
That was about the time that a colleague went to the Brenell place for a job interview - he came away less than impressed, given that they were supposed to be trying to get into the professional market at the time.

I don`t know if he was offered the job but if so he didn`t take it.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 12:09 am   #109
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Had a quick look at the modified mains wiring around the tone control. A 3 core (red, black & green) screened mains cable taps into the mains cable connections at the back of the machine and connects to the on/off switch on the tone control.

The switched output side of the switch connects to a lamp (neon I assume) that has been added to the amplifier front panel (to indicate power/mains on) and the green core of the cable is used as a switched neutral from the switch back to the rear panel mains wiring and a coaxial cable is used to feed back the switched live back to rear mains connections. Have not conclusively proven it yet but strongly believe that both the power supply mains on/off switch and the added on/off switch on the tone control both have to be switched on for power to reach the power supply.

It is a right mess, I will remove the added cabling and put it back to standard, may possibly later add an LED power on indicator to the amplifier front panel in the hole where the neon indicator presently is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201101_121634655.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	219437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201101_225102587.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	219438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201101_121706603.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	219439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201101_225121914.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	219440  
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 12:11 am   #110
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Mk. 5 Update.

Am collecting the new dual 50uF 500V can capacitors tomorrow, so have removed the old can from the Mk.5

It turned out to be a triple 50uF can but only 2 are used. Capacitance and ESR measurement wise it was not bad (unlike the Series 2 dual can) but still will replace it and keep the old can as an emergency spare.

Gave the power supply a good clean, it was really greasy. Also cleaned out the case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201102_173340742.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	219503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201102_175313089.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	219504  
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 12:40 am   #111
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Mk. 5 Update.

Checked out the modified mains wiring more. Yesterday thought that the extra on/off switch on the tone control may have been in series with the mains on/off switch on the back of the power supply, but the switches are in parallel across the switched side of the power supply switch. So either switch could switch the unit on, but both would have to be off for the unit not to be powered.

Did anybody notice the 2 yellow twisted together wires in the first photo in Post #109.

These are a ground connection, one end connecting to a ground busbar and the other end connecting to the added 6 way terminal strip connecting the screen of the 3 core mains cable and the screen of the co-ax/screened cable (inner core carrying the switched live back to the power supply), this ground/screen connection connecting back to the power supply ground/earth connection.

Because the 3 core mains cable and co-ax cable carrying the switched live are screened presumably screened cables are being used to reduce any noise/hum etc pickup at the amplifier. I have seen twisted wire connections before for ground connections, is this for common mode noise/hum reduction ? although I thought that was more for twin signal twisted pairs like differential signals.

Found that the unit was not connected to mains earth as it had a 2 round pin mains plug with the earth wire hiding inside. I will fit a new 3 core cable/3 pin plug and connect earth to the ground connection.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 3rd Nov 2020 at 12:47 am.
Old 4th Nov 2020, 8:51 pm   #112
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Mk. 5 Update.

Fitted new 3 core mains cable and 3 pin plug.

Checked the mains transformer winding resistances.

Primary :- 110 volt = 18.1 Ohm, 210 volt = 44.8 Ohm & 240 volt = 52.7 Ohm

Secondary:- Heaters = 0.6 Ohm, EZ80 heater = 0.4 Ohm, EZ80 anode to anode = 837 Ohms, Anode 1 to centre tap = 426 Ohms, Anode 2 to centre tap = 411 Ohms

Checked insulation resistance of all windings (Meggered) all OK.

Secondary voltages (DVM) :- Amplifier heater = 6.9VAC, EZ80 heater = 6.92VAC, EZ80 anode to anode = 645 VAC, Anode 1 to centre to 321 VAC, Anode 2 to centre tape = 321 VAC.

Checked that the secondary centre tape connected to correct side of the 47 Ohm current limiting resistor, which it did (the Series 2 connected to the incorrect/earth side).

As far as I could see there is no transformer screen wire connection, the Series 2 had a thin white/pink wire that was believed to be a transformer screen. The Mk. 5 does have a thicker pink wire (same as Series 2) which is the low end (0V) of the primary winding. On the Mk. 5 the mains cable red wire connected to the primary pink wire so technically live connection (as opposed to neutral) but as the mains connector was 2 pin then depending upon how the 2 pin connector would have been fitted then either Live or Neutral would have connected to the primary pink wire.

I would say normally Live/Neutral connection polarity to primary winding would not make any difference, although I have seen a few references to swapping over live and neutral when hum is a problem.

Fitted new dual can 50uF/500V reservoir/filter capacitor and associated 470 Ohm resistor.

Next to check out main components on the amplifier particularly the grid coupling paper capacitors then to connect the amplifier to the power supply and power up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201104_121329949.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	219646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201104_121050183.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	219647  
Old 4th Nov 2020, 11:45 pm   #113
Richardgr
Heptode

Hi D, I really appreciate the insight into your methods for revamping these old treasures!

Out of interest, what is your source for can caps?
Old 5th Nov 2020, 1:17 am   #114
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I do not normally replace can caps, for this one source was eBay.

David
Old 31st Dec 2020, 2:44 pm   #115
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Mk. 5 Update.

Been checking out most of the components in the amplifier module and replacing as required.

Replaced the triple 16uF 350V can capacitor (reservoir and filter/smoothing) C5/C6/C20, did not actually measure bad but thought best to replace. Used a new dual 16uF 500V can for C6 & C20, for C5 used 2 new 33uF 160V axials in series. To mount the new dual can had to drill holes for its mounting clamp.

C13 50uF ECC83 & C2 50uF EF86 cathode de-couplers replaced. C16 0.1uF paper EM81 grid replaced. C14 0.1uF paper ECC83 anode coupling to volume control (second control grid) of the ECC83 replaced.

Other grid coupling capacitors are Mustard caps and checked OK.

One remaining 0.1uF paper cap is C24 to the output socket, this measures OK but will recheck when powered up for any DC voltage pass through.

R16 4.7k ECC83 cathode, R23 150k EM81 anode & R17 150K ECC83 anode replaced.

Previously replaced C31 paper 4,700pF at the tone control (0.0047uF) but see now that I fitted a 0.01uF (10,000pF), do not know why I fitted incorrect value unless the original old one was actually marked 0.01uF (I remember it was very leaky).

While replacing C2 noticed that the bottom end of C3 (0.5uF) the EF86 screen grid de-coupler, which should connect down direct to ground actually connects to pin 8 of the EF86 (Suppressor grid) with pin 8 being linked to pin 3 cathode, so the ground connection route for C3 is now via cathode resistor R4 (2.2k). Seems odd maybe a modification ?

Rechecked my previous tidying up work on the power supply and found the ground busbar was not connected to the mains earth, this is because the mains earth to ground busbar connection originally was done at the old dual 50uF C29/C30 metal can capacitor with the busbar connecting to one of the metal lugs on the can body. The new replacement can capacitor body is insulated and therefore no connection to earth, so I wired a connection from the mains earth direct to the busbar.

Borrowed EF86, ECC83 and EL84 valves from the Series 2 (they themselves borrowed from other units) and fitted to the Mk. 5 amp in preparation for powering up.

Due to length of cables not as easy to work on the amplifier for live monitoring as the Series 2. Have had to temporarily move the power supply fully forward in the case and have the amplifier perched on top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201105_210100018.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	223560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201231_110128774.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	223561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201231_110210821.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	223562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Earthed busbar.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	223563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201231_113230086.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	223564  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 31st Dec 2020 at 2:56 pm. Reason: Missing word added
Old 31st Dec 2020, 2:50 pm   #116
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You're putting a lot of good work into this. The smothing resistor looks quite low wattage. Is it's rating OK?
Old 31st Dec 2020, 3:23 pm   #117
DMcMahon
Dekatron

R37 470 Ohm, original larger carbon resistor was rated at 1 watt (according to schematic), new replacement is 2 watt metal film, so should be fine.

I do find the much smaller size of modern capacitors and resistors compared to old versions somewhat worrying.

David
Old 31st Dec 2020, 5:18 pm   #118
Radio Wrangler

With capacitors, it could be perfectly fine if they're done well enough.

With resistors, simple physics says that the smaller part will have a higher surface temperature. The part may survive this reliably, but there is also the effect on adjacent components and wiring.

David
Old 6th May 2023, 10:25 am   #119
Radio Wrangler

re-opened as requested

David
Old 6th May 2023, 2:08 pm   #120
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi
Big thanks to the moderators in re opening the thread. I have a Brenell MK5 series 3 here. The thread has been very helpful and many points noted. Unfortunately the larger Capstan sleeve is missing from mine.
I too had squeal of around 8 khz, this was traced to all the interconnections having slightly high resistance, especially the earth's, the PSU connector earth to the amplifier also caused a low frequency motorboating effect, tightening the for pin socket, cleaning it and giving the plug a clean with fine wet and dry cured the motorboating and reduced the squeal. Further improvement after cleaning the head phono plug. There is also too much back tension, this is caused by the back tension felt compressing which increases the surface area and this increases back tension, a common issue on VCRs, in the meantime I've adjusted the back tension which has cured speed variations as the spool empties on play. The Heads are OK on this machine. One of suppressors internal capacitors went short so it turned into a 220 ohm resistor with the respective motor running continually, I made up a suppressor myself with a 10n and 220 ohm resistor. I've recapped it, all resistors were within spec. HT is a bit high but more worrying is the valve heaters at 6.9v, adjusting the Variac for 6.3v also brings the HT to only 7v above what it should. I'm certain the mains transformers are incorrectly wound, a suitable dropper will be put in series with the transformer primary. That's the progress so far. More soon.
Closed Thread