UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2020, 4:05 pm   #1
Sjmccleery
Diode

Default Restoring a family clock (Smith Sectric).

I’ve recently been given a Smith Sectric clock that I belonged to my grandmother.
I’d like to get it working again, but we can’t see how to get in!
We’ve taken the movement out of the case, and the glass off the front, but the hour hand doesn’t come off the spindle.
Please can we have some advice.
Thank you
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 5:32 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoring a family clock (Smith Sectric).

Welcome!

Have a you a picture?

There were many Smiths clocks over the decades with the "Sectric" name, but AFAIK the hour hands were always just pushed onto a slight taper on the hourwheel pipe but can be very tight.
Be very careful not to break the hand! Have you removed the minute hand?

If you want it's easier if I draw you a picture of how i do it but that'll have to be tomorrow.

BTW, what are you wanting to do to it when it's all opened up?

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 22nd Nov 2020 at 5:34 pm. Reason: Further question.
Closed Thread