UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2003, 7:52 pm   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Which Radio do I Service/Repair next

How do members decide in which order to repair their radio's. I have about 20+ which I have yet to try out, ranging from mains domestic valve, portable domestic valve, valve communication receivers, transistor communication and transistor portable sets??
Paul
Old 14th Jun 2003, 8:43 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Which Radio do I Service/Repair next

There's no logic to my decisions!

Maybe I'll read about the repair of a set in these forums, on a website or in a magazine, and that'll prompt me to fix mine. Some sets I know will be quite quick repairs, others major restorations, so it depends on what mood I'm in and how much time I have. Sometimes I'll do a few similar sets one after the other (such as a few trannie radios or a few AC/DC AM/FM setc). Sometimes I look around the shelves and grab one pretty much at random.

Often it's the newer acquisitions that tend to get done first, and sets that have been around for a while don't seem such an appealing proposition.

I know that's no help at all - but it shows you aren't the only one suffering from this indecision!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Jun 2003, 10:02 pm   #3
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

My stuff is usually British 50s domestic. I might have two or three on the go at the same time.

One or two smaller " quick fix " sets and then the problem one that drags on. I find the smaller sets easier. And the " problem " set I have is an older 40s thing...I knew it would be trouble !!

Steve J
Old 14th Jun 2003, 10:18 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

The one most likely to fall off the top of the pile.......!!

Jim.
Old 14th Jun 2003, 11:31 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I have several radios that I have yet had the back removed from several years. I cannot explain how I go about restoring differnt radios.
I have 2 Philco recievers that I started to restore years ago but then a more interesting Burndept reciever turned up and they got put in a corner and I havent had the time to continue fiddeling with them.
I recently bought 5 1930's - 1940's radios including 2 Pye model 15A's a Burndept model 210, a Jonelle ? radio and a Murphy console reciever and I dont know wich one to do first!!
Thanks
Christopher Capener
Old 15th Jun 2003, 9:48 am   #6
Dave
Retired Dormant Member

I use the Liquorice Allsorts approach, picking the most attractive first. Trouble is, eventually I am left with just the liquorice bits. I then have to finish these(to me) distastefull items before buying a new " packet " . Some people seem to be able to buy several " packets " at one go and I guess never realy reach the bottom of the first packet. Would that I had the space!
Seriously though, the next one is usualy just a lottery for me.
Dave
Old 15th Jun 2003, 12:22 pm   #7
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Depends on my mood I suppose - sometimes I get stuck in and work on whichever set is first to hand, other times I choose the set which I think will be the easiest to work on! It works for me though - if I can sort out a set in double quick time it usually motivates me to have a go at the others.
Old 15th Jun 2003, 10:11 pm   #8
audiomagpie
Heptode

During the light nights, there's too many other things get priority of my attention, garden, house/diy, longer dog walks etc. so I tend to do the simple faults that I can (hopefully!) turn round between 10PM and midnight. Also my workshop bench is so cluttered at the mo I usually end up on the dining room table- so it needs to be cleared for breakfast!
Have a nice Pye model Q and an Ekco SH25 both needing full restoration, I'll tackle these when I have time during the darker evenings. These need much more time and concerntration, possibly waiting for parts and a clear workbench!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 15th Jun 2003, 10:25 pm   #9
thermionic
Heptode

Hi. I have a collection of about 70 radios, 90% of which are still in boxes after we moved house nearly 3 years ago We are in the process of building an extension to include a garage which will become my workshop once again. These last few years have been very un productive as far as radios are concerned !!
Just recently I have brought a few from Ebay ( Ok ,Ok is was 7) and have been picking away at these on the kitchen table. I will usually pick one that looks interesting to repair. If the repair is straightforward, it wont be so much fun. ( I know, I have a strange idea of fun) But as soon as my workshop is up & running , there is an Ekco PB 189 in the loft just crying out for restoration. So you will probably hear my cries of help on this forum when I do

Simon.

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 2nd Jan 2005 at 12:35 am.
Old 15th Jun 2003, 10:56 pm   #10
joe
Rest in Peace

I know the problem. I got interested in radio in my teens, went into electronics and more recently started collecting intending to restore them when I retire. This I did last month and I've now got 72 to choose from. Being indecisive by nature I have a problem, but I'll probably start with the simpler ones, a DAC90, a Pilot "Little Maestro" etc which look in reasonable nick.
Eventually I have some real challenges- a "distressed" Ekco AC97 and a Philco peoples set which really ought to be a write-off. Its so rusty I cant get the screening cans off and the speaker is minus 90% of its cone. Interesting, though.

Joe

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 2nd Jan 2005 at 12:36 am.
Old 16th Jun 2003, 1:01 pm   #11
Duke_Nukem
Octode

For me, the radio I pick is whatever's nearest the door ... as I can't reach the rest !!!
Old 16th Jun 2003, 8:06 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've seen Duke_Nukem's place - he's not kidding!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Jun 2003, 10:23 pm   #13
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

Sounds like a treasure trove to me !!

Steve J
Closed Thread