UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2004, 3:30 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Vintage radio related Xmas pressies

Did anyone get any vintage radio (or whatever) related Xmas pressies? Even if you bought them yourself for someone else to give you?

I got an Evoke 2 DAB radio. OK not vintage, but they have been discussed here often enough. I haven't really played with it yet, but t's upstairs on the desk of my scanning PC tuned to Primetime.

My partner also bought me a Radio 2 Ken Bruce "Streamliner" Radio on eBay - as given away on Ken's Popmaster quiz. Again not vintage, but a nice addition to the collection. It's a trannie in a sort of classic american style.

I also had a couple of other novelty trannies (no doubt from eBay) including a more modern CocaCola can and an unknown (to me) blue dropplet shaped character with thin brown arms and legs.

Photos will be on the website in due course.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Dec 2004, 6:59 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Smile Re: Vintage radio related Xmas pressies

Santa brought me a Digital Capacitance meter. Quite a reasonable beast, nine ranges, 20pf-2000uF.
Old 26th Dec 2004, 10:26 pm   #3
Ken
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage radio related Xmas pressies

Thats interesting as I also got a digital capacitance meter (200pF to 20mF). Dont think Ill be measuring much on the 20mF range. Think it came from CPC. Made by Tenma. I also collect small modern and not so modern radios (they dont take up much space). Got a number of these including two "Pet Sounds Super Furry Radios" Both are about 6 ins in height. One is a horse the other a lion. Phone jack is in the back of the head. Reset and scan in the paws/hoofs. Perhaps not to everybodies taste but I like them.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 27th Dec 2004, 12:59 pm   #4
Richard
Heptode

Red face Re: Vintage radio related Xmas pressies

Hi all

I got a Philco model 89, cathedral set.

Plugged it in (it was from a dealer, and supposed to be working) and gave it a go on Xmas morning with a few feet of wire for an aerial, didn’t get much, then turned it off, but left it plugged in.
Three hours later, when the wife was in the midst of cooking dinner, guests had arrived, the electric went off – earth trip had gone and kept on tripping anything from a few seconds to several minuets after resetting it (trip is located in the workshop, 20ft away from the house).
After 20 minuets or so of unplugging things, pulling fuses out the fuse box etc, this was traced to my new radio, I was not popular!

Richard.
Old 27th Dec 2004, 8:23 pm   #5
Lowemission
Tetrode

I had a years subscription to the Radiophile and a 3 year subscription to the BVWS , little did i know what was to come

Due to a misunderstanding between my Wife and my old Mum the next pressie i unwrapped was a Baby George Foreman Rotisserie .

My old Mum (who will be put in a Care Home in the New Year ) misheard my Wife talking about how much she wanted a Rotisserie for Xmas, due to a dodgy valve in her hearing aid she thought that i wanted one!

Apart from using it as some form of coil winder i can't think of a use for it, any ideas?

Happy New Year To You All
Old 28th Dec 2004, 12:18 am   #6
SPCh
Rest in Peace

My daughter and her fiancee brought me (to Belgium, all the way from Aberdeen) three AVO meters which he had successfully bidded for on my behalf !

Christmas day unwrapping them;
Boxing Day checking their performance;
today checking their calibration.

Nine AVOs in series measuring a common current of about 8 mA. "About" ? Big and small, from 1936 to 1968 all agree it's 7.8 mA. Who am I to argue ?

The three modern digital flimsies in the string can't agree between 7.5 and 8.1, or from one minute to the next.

I rest my case.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
Closed Thread