UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2020, 7:13 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Smooth Radio (Chiltern Radio) -Gone from MW.

Last week, a friend alerted me to the imminent shut-down of the Smooth Radio AM transmissions from Luton (828 kHz) and Bedford (792 KHz), formerly Chiltern Radio 362/378m.

All silent now, they switched them off around lunch-time today.

A couple of souvenirs from my stash - I probably spent ages queuing for these at the Luton Arndale 'module'.

And a couple of memories from the former Programme Controller that are worth a look:

http://www.chilternradio.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0yap7JRPw

Regards,

SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	219481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	219482  
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 7:33 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Smooth Radio (Chiltern Radio) -Gone from MW.

It's a pity. Both of these transmitters made it to Oxford, albeit sounding a bit 'distant'. One less off-air station for my Ekco A144.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 7:44 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

When I lived near Swindon, Chiltern was a decent signal.

Shame to see another AM-band station - and Smooth was one of the more-listenable ones - go off-air.
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 8:28 pm   #4
Dai Corner
Hexode

I suspect pantry transmitters are appearing at a faster rate than broadcast ones are disappearing!
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 9:33 pm   #5
Stuart R
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai Corner View Post
I suspect pantry transmitters are appearing at a faster rate than broadcast ones are disappearing!
...I suppose it does leave a bit more free space for the stalled Mini-Mod project.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 10:37 am   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Its a great pity to see yet more AM closures. I could hear Smooth from Luton on 828 during the day by nulling out Smooth from Bournemouth and the BBC Asian Network which I think comes from Wolverhampton. . I
I will have to see how how much clearer the Smooth Bournemouth signal is on my next day off or over the weekend.

I agree it is probably time we got our Pantry transmitters re instated as there will clearly be many more AM transmitter closures coming up in the near future.

Simon
Old 5th Nov 2020, 11:22 am   #7
michamoo
Hexode

I wouldn't mind if the 1152khz Smooth transmitter in Norfolk was turned off though as it spoils reception here of the LBC News station from London on the same frequency.
Old 5th Nov 2020, 12:10 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by michamoo View Post
I wouldn't mind if the 1152khz Smooth transmitter in Norfolk was turned off though as it spoils reception here of the LBC News station from London on the same frequency.
Don't worry, they'll probably turn both off at once

David
Old 5th Nov 2020, 9:18 pm   #9
Tazman1966
Nonode

Oh no. I was only listening last week on my newly revived Murphy B818. That's a real shame as if I was listening to Smooth in the car on 102.2MHz and the reception got a bit iffy as I went further up the M1, I'd switch first to 828kHz, then 792kHz, and finally 1557kHz as I got close to Northampton.

As an aside, I was invited to the studio in Chiltern Road, Dunstable back in 1987 by presenter of the lengthy and very enjoyable Sunday night show from 7pm to midnight. The presenter was Paul O'Reilly. I sat in the chair next to him for around an hour or so while he presented the show. He showed me how they did the splits for the ads and jingles for the three different transmission areas (Luton, Bedford, Northampton) and how all the current hit records were dubbed onto carts and it was only the oldies that were played from vinyl. A really nice chap.

Happy memories of "the Hot FM"

Tas

PS We still have our back door key on the Chiltern Radio keyring that I got from that visit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201105_201341[1].jpg
Views:	75
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	219730  
Closed Thread