UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2021, 8:06 am   #21
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Government review on Radio and Audio

Published today the RAJAR radio listening figures April to September 2021. FM/AM still shows a healthy 34% of the audience. However listening figures are much higher for digital reception of all types, online showing 18% which would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

If AM/FM were switched off now I think the response would be similar to Norway with a good portion of listeners being lost, what those figures would be like in 9 years time will be interesting to see.

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RA...phicQ32021.pdf
Old 28th Oct 2021, 4:54 pm   #22
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Published today the RAJAR radio listening figures April to September 2021. FM/AM still shows a healthy 34% of the audience. However listening figures are much higher for digital reception of all types, online showing 18% which would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

If AM/FM were switched off now I think the response would be similar to Norway with a good portion of listeners being lost, what those figures would be like in 9 years time will be interesting to see.

https://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/RA...phicQ32021.pdf
Do the RAJAR figures give listening figures specifically for DAB, or do they just lump all "digital" together?

Mike
Old 28th Oct 2021, 5:05 pm   #23
agardiner
Octode

There are DAB figures if you drill down on the report a bit.
Old 28th Oct 2021, 5:07 pm   #24

I like DAB I can get my favourite stations with good quality, all BBC, 4, 4 Extra and the World Service.

Old 28th Oct 2021, 6:30 pm   #25
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It's interesting that the usual station-idents these days seemingly don't mention DAB.

"On your smartspeaker, on your radio and on Global Player" seems to be the current mantra.

Pragmatically, I suspect most listeners would get a broader choice of stations on their smartspeaker/phone than on DAB [or AM or FM].
Old 28th Oct 2021, 7:03 pm   #26
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
It's interesting that the usual station-idents these days seemingly don't mention DAB.

"On your smartspeaker, on your radio and on Global Player" seems to be the current mantra.

Pragmatically, I suspect most listeners would get a broader choice of stations on their smartspeaker/phone than on DAB [or AM or FM].
Yes, I've often thought the same. Even the BBC don't mention DAB.
Old 8th Nov 2021, 2:27 pm   #27
DennisCA
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
As a person living outside UK it is interesting to compare. In Sweden the government has decided to abandon the intended switch to DAB, at least for the foreseeable future Our national broadcaster did some attempts some years ago but since then most of these transmissions has been shut off. In 1999 it covered 85% of the population but in 2002 this was reduced to 35% which still is the current coverage.

The governments argument has mainly been these:

-There is almost no public demand
-Too many radios will be unusable
-Defence- and catastrophic transmissions may be affected negatively.

In our neighbour country Norway the national broadcaster NRK left FM in 2017, over a night they lost 20% of their listeners and have still not recovered.
Here in Finland we abandonded DAB back in 2005. I hope it stays that way personally. Don't see a need or reason to move to FM radio to digital.

In my dream world there'd be a renewal in the MW and SW range but I don't have a lot of hope for that.
Old 8th Nov 2021, 2:57 pm   #28
Glowing Bits!
Octode

This subject could be political so on that note, I won't mention the BBC!
Most of my listening these days is online, the quality of online stations is marginally better than DAB but streaming on Deezer is far superior, the future is online.
Will I miss analog? Possibly but it's more about nostalgia than practical, if that makes sense.
Old 18th Dec 2021, 7:11 pm   #29
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Last year I bought a new car... It came of course with a radio that sported DAB, FM & AM.

It's brilliant on FM, pulls in stations from miles away; as good as it gets on AM - i.e. it receives any transmissions that are there + the 'pantry' transmitter (Modulated Test Oscillator!), - but totally useless where I live on DAB, no signal from anywhere despite being over 800' ASL.

Long live FM

David.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 1:26 am   #30
Andrew2
Nonode

That sounds a little strange. Are you sure it is set up to scan correctly? The DAB radio in our car was missing quite a lot of stations we were sure should be present, but we eventually found it was set to 'national' rather than 'regional' (or possibly the other way round).
Old 19th Dec 2021, 2:21 pm   #31
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I have a DAB/FM/AM radio in my study, and a DAB/FM/AM radio in my car

Whether FM stays or goes isn't a topic that I have any strong views on, but I never listen to AM, (except of course on my vintage radios), or FM. There are just so many more stations on DAB, and I don't have any reception problems either locally or on journeys to London, Essex, Oxford East Midlands, Lincolnshire, West Yorks, and other places. Neither do I notice any difference in the audio quality.

I do mourn the closure of so many Short-Wave broadcast stations, and recall my SWL days in the 50s - 70s, when the simplest little home-brew one-valve radio would pull in stations from afar, but that was then, this is now.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 2:31 pm   #32
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
Last year I bought a new car... It came of course with a radio that sported DAB, FM & AM.

It's brilliant on FM, pulls in stations from miles away; as good as it gets on AM - i.e. it receives any transmissions that are there + the 'pantry' transmitter (Modulated Test Oscillator!), - but totally useless where I live on DAB, no signal from anywhere despite being over 800' ASL.
There are some curious reception gaps in mid Shropshire. I think you should be getting DAB from The Wrekin, but it may be being beamed eastwards to Wolverhampton, and the powers are quite low. The geography is very hilly which doesn't help.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 3:26 pm   #33
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Particular location in Shropshire is going to count for a lot – especially if you are in the west of the county. I think there are a few Radio Shropshire FM relays in the valleys there. R Shropshire also has DAB from Turner’s Hill and my father listened to it a lot as he preferred it to the somewhat ‘urban’ Radio WM.

Living in a high but slightly peculiar location terrain-wise, some folk in my street get their TV from the Wrekin despite the signals crossing two county boundaries. (I can get Sutton.) I can get far more DAB signals than my friends in lower lying locations a mile and a half away, despite the fact that they are supposedly in the service area of the missing stations.

On an analogue set I still find LW useful and more reliable than FM for Radio 4.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 3:32 pm   #34
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I can see the Wrekin from here, from my workshop window, but as has been said the power is quite low.
The radio does work on DAB, when I drive down to London, no problem.

It's just here that there is absolutely nothing. So I shall stick with FM as long as possible.

David.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 4:43 pm   #35

I have a DAB radio on my motorcycle, it works well, I like having the World Service and 4 Extra. It has a weird feature in that when the signal fades it it replaced by white noise to simulate an FM signal fading, it almost sounds like it too!

Old 19th Dec 2021, 5:56 pm   #36
tony brady
Hexode

Is that not the DAB falling back to FM but not finding a signal?
Old 19th Dec 2021, 6:28 pm   #37
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If you're having DAB-reception problens with a car radio, go into the config menus and check you've got things right.

My daily-driver 2018 car has the ability to select a range of DAb services

L-band

Band III

L-band & Band III

L-band and Canada

L-band and Canada and US.

US [Sirius/XM]

It also has menu-options to switch between 9 and 10KHz channel-steps on AM/MW and European/US or Japanese steps on FM.

Alas, setting it to the US option has never got me the option to enter my subscriber-code for Sirius/XM satellite-radio.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 7:48 pm   #38
duncanlowe
Nonode

The UI on some DAB devices leaves a bit to be desired. DAB is broadcast in 'ensembles' which is similar to the 'multiplexes' on digital TV. I have seen UIs on receivers that inisit you select the station, by first selecting the ensemble that it belongs to. Now who is ever going to understand that. Post number 30 sounds like you were having to do this exact thing as the national and local are ensembles.
Old 19th Dec 2021, 7:51 pm   #39
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Alas, setting it to the US option has never got me the option to enter my subscriber-code for Sirius/XM satellite-radio.
I guess that's because we are somewhat outside the beam pattern?
Old 20th Dec 2021, 9:12 am   #40

Quote:
Is that not the DAB falling back to FM but not finding a signal?
It doesn't have FM!

Closed Thread