UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2022, 5:36 pm   #41
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Storage in loft spaces?

This thread, another thread before Christmas about renting storage space, and several in the last couple of years or so about constructing garden sheds/workshops/radio shacks - all share many similar comments. Such as "why the phook are you storing stuff away - which you'll never look at for years ?". Dew points, dampness, dust ingress, strength of flooring,etc., also.
A couple of years back, myself & a BVWS chum were invited by an elderly chap to womble away in his TDA trussed roof loft in Aberdeen which he had meticusely braced & floored some 30 years earlier, as a workshop cum storage room, when he was in his 50's. Sadly, the only reason for this ex Radio/TV Technician giving up his devoted retirement pastime - was back & hip problems preventing him climbing the Ramsey ladder. It was a Council house, hence using a spare bedroom as a workshop would have not been permitted, and his garden space was limited - so no shed.
Needless to say, me & my chum were much saddened, and the guy was very benevolant, only asking a few tenners for heaps of stuff. But he was pleased that it was going to a good home & would be used. As he was a widower, the council/social services were shortly going to move him into residential care.
But hey - he was only ten years older than me, & 8 years older than my BVWS chum ! Think on - whether its a loft, or shed, or container, or a storage facility - the above story is going to apply to you - probably sooner than later going by VRR&R, or BVWS, or VMARS membership age profiles.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Simpson; 10th Jan 2022 at 5:38 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 10th Jan 2022, 5:49 pm   #42
Hartley118
Nonode

I find an essential addition to our loft has been effective lighting, both for safety (ie not treading where I mustn’t) and to facilitate finding stuff.

I have half a dozen or so 100W lamps suspended from the roof trusses, plus three 40W fluorescent fittings in areas that would otherwise be cast into shadow. These are all operated from a pendant switch hanging within easy reach of the access trapdoor. One advantage of a loft is that it provides easy access to the upstairs lighting circuit.

Martin
Old 10th Jan 2022, 7:42 pm   #43
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
A more philosophical question is: if things are being wrapped up in order to be placed out of view in a reasonably inaccessible place, what are they being kept for?
The day when the last kids move out and items can be brought back into more accessible locations.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 8:06 pm   #44
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
Quote:
A more philosophical question is: if things are being wrapped up in order to be placed out of view in a reasonably inaccessible place, what are they being kept for?
The day when the last kids move out and items can be brought back into more accessible locations.
So, just moving the storage area of dis-used items then.....
Old 10th Jan 2022, 8:45 pm   #45
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
Quote:
So, just moving the storage area of dis-used items then.....
Not really, some things are used once a year (Christmas tree/decorations), some one day every few months, and some every few weeks or brought down to be used over a few days to a week (cases) and put back.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 9:23 pm   #46
davegsm82
Heptode

When I moved into my 1960's mid terrace, one of the first things I did was board most of the loft, unfortunately this lead to a bit of a problem when we ended up with rats in the void between the boards and the ceiling plasterboard, making a nest in the fibreglass (which I was assured they wouldn't do) and P*ssing all over everything.

My mistake was not boarding the WHOLE loft, so that they had no easy entrance point into the cavity, so I would recommend doing just that if you can. One mistake people make is using those awful loft board panels, they weigh an absolute ton. I have very few of those up there, and have used recycled Plywood where possible which is treated with woodworm/rot treatment.

As others have said, keep as much weight towards the walls as possible where the joists are supported, I have 3x main 6" joists running left to right, however all of the weight is on the 6 x 2" joists which run from front to back. While this isn't ideal, it's the best I could do without raising the whole 'floor' of the loft and losing most of the usable space. I've got a lot of weight up there and haven't noticed any severe sagging.

As another member has mentioned, if you have the opportunity then you can attach shelving units to the walls. I have steel shelves which are screwed to the gable walls, when I installed them I raised them up a quarter of an inch at the back so that the majority of the weight is supported by the wall, not the floor/joists.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 10:43 pm   #47
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Don't overlook the potential for changes in temperature and humidity to spoil equipment. Sadly my HP431C power meter was stored in the loft for quite a few years once I upgraded it to something more modern. The lovely dial on the front suffered the classic peeling problem and this was almost certainly accelerated by the conditions in the loft. I managed to fix it but it doesn't look as nice as it once did.

At this time of year it's worth inspecting any soffit boards around the outer edges of the roof/loft for any small gaps or holes. Rest assured, the local starlings will be doing a similar inspection soon enough. I learned the hard way a few years ago and starlings nested in a corner of the loft. Once they are in you can't legally get rid of them and they scuttle around and poo everywhere. Worse than this (much worse) is when the eggs hatch. Unless this has happened to you you won't understand how much noise the baby starlings make each time the parents return with food. This routine occurs every few minutes and starts at dawn and goes on all day.

If you have anything valuable in the loft they could easily damage it and the poo is a bit of a health hazard as well.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 11:33 am   #48
Malcolm T
Hexode

If you've got bird problems in your loft stick a cat up there it will dine for free on mice and birds, that's what cats are for keeping down pests.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 11:55 am   #49
Refugee
Dekatron

At the allotments there is a feral cat that catches rats. It would be no good in a loft because it only eats the gnawing ends of the rats.
The compost maker has many pairs of back legs and tails in it.
It has a sense of humour though at it most commonly leaves the rat output stages by the raspberry bed.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 12:19 pm   #50
Malcolm T
Hexode

Not so my end , here they swallow the lot , they,re lean and very mean !
Closed Thread