UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2007, 7:51 pm   #1
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default 1939 Detrola Model 282 Pee-Wee Portable Radio

In October, I bought this prewar portable because of the unique dual 45-volt HT battery it used. Only a couple of manufacturers made batteries for this set, and production ceased a few years after the war. As a result, all of these sets have sat silent for over 60 years.

Earlier, I found pictures of a pristine 282, its original Detrola-brand batteries intact, and I asked the new owner to scan copies of them. Shortly after that, I built up a pair of replica batteries.

The LT battery was a standard 742-style common to the era, and my replica runs on one to four C cells in parallel.

The HT battery was more of a challenge. It's a 90 volt package split into 45 volt halves. Once I completed the box, I figured the easiest way to distribute the load would be to assemble two sets of five PP3's and stack them one on top of the other.

There's nothing unique electronically with the Detrola 282--it's one of many portables built around the then-new 1.5 volt battery tubes. This particular chassis was untouched, still sporting its 1939-style G series tubes. All paper caps were replaced along with the electrolytic.

I switched it on--and was greeted by Silent Sam. Zilch.

To my surprise, every &$^#%@ tube--was blown.

So, for the first time in a VERY long time, I had to rummage through my stash and find a new set of tubes. Most of them are the shorter GT types, but because of the shield styling, the 1A7 had to use the tall G type. Fortunately I had one.

Second switch-on, the radio sprang to life. Speaker is a little strangled due to an off-center cone, but otherwise it plays and has average sensitivity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	detrola 282.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	13719   Click image for larger version

Name:	detrola inside.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	13720   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished detrola batteries.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	13721   Click image for larger version

Name:	detrola battery insides.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	13722   Click image for larger version

Name:	detrola b insides2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	13723  

Old 28th Nov 2007, 8:53 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: 1939 Detrola Model 282 Pee-Wee Portable Radio

Hello Bill

Very nice, I like that one! Did you have to do much cleaning to the cloth covered case, it looks to be in a good condition? The batteries are first class as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterymaker1 View Post
The HT battery was more of a challenge. It's a 90 volt package split into 45 volt halves.
Very unusual having two 45v batteries in the same box. What was the purpose or reasoning behind that arrangement then? Was it made that way so you could have a choice of using the two halves in parallel or series depending upon the set you used it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterymaker1 View Post
To my surprise, every &$^#%@ tube--was blown.
I'd have been surprised too! I've never (so far) found a set with all the valves blown. Looks like someone at sometime has been careless with the LT supply!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 29th Nov 2007, 9:40 am   #3
KEITHW
Retired Dormant Member

More fantastic work Bill! The speaker looks quite modern in the photograph, is it less obvious in the flesh?

I wonder if someone has tried connecting up various power supplies to get it to work and blown the valves.

Regards,
Keith
Old 29th Nov 2007, 2:45 pm   #4
batterymaker1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdmpb View Post
Very nice, I like that one! Did you have to do much cleaning to the cloth covered case, it looks to be in a good condition? The batteries are first class as well
Thanks. The radio was in the condition you see here, and that was a blessing. Airplane cloth can either look really good or terrible, depending on how it's treated.

Quote:
Very unusual having two 45v batteries in the same box. What was the purpose or reasoning behind that arrangement then? Was it made that way so you could have a choice of using the two halves in parallel or series depending upon the set you used it in?
I suspect that Detrola was trying to produce a radio smaller in size to everyone else's, hence the name Pee-Wee. Most of the 1.5 volt radios were designed to use 90 volts HT. The smallest HT battery at the time was the 45-volt 738, and two of them wouldn't fit in the cabinet along with the 742. So, a single custom pack was created. Only Burgess, Ray O Vac and Detrola (who probably had Burgess manufacture their own brand) made it, and what you see in the pictures is what the original looked like.

Quote:
I'd have been surprised too! I've never (so far) found a set with all the valves blown. Looks like someone at sometime has been careless with the LT supply!
That's what I'm suspecting happened. A pity too, since G style battery tubes are hard to find.

Quote:
More fantastic work Bill! The speaker looks quite modern in the photograph, is it less obvious in the flesh?
The speaker is a standard PM common to the time, and it's the original one, scratchy and all....
Old 29th Nov 2007, 6:23 pm   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 1939 Detrola Model 282 Pee-Wee Portable Radio

Hi Batterymaker

Curiously I though the speaker looked a modern type with a metallic speech-coil cover! If it is the original then usually the magnet can be removed and the coil cleaned if there is grit or rust, a tiny amount of WD or Servisol does no harm, and then re-centering the magnet as it is put back on. Some early speakers have a flat spacer that can make putting the magnet back on a bit more tricky as it has to be held central while tightening the main magnet body.

Geof
Closed Thread