UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2005, 4:26 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default R606s, like buses they are!

Well, I spent a while looking for one, then, in a moment of abandon, bought these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6564911973 The sets arrived earlier today. The seller kindly put 5 R606s in the box instead of the 4! One, a maroon-trimmed MB, is going to be a really nice one. It simply needed some FM i/f bits from one of the other sets in the parcel, has cleaned up well and its bass and treble pots were replaced with those from the scruffiest of the other examples as the spindles had sheared! (plastic, obviously with all the torsional integrity of some kind of pudding). An orange battery-only one also has great potential, working well and really only needing a cabinet floor and a speaker, both taken from other sets in the box.
I spent a while looking for one (good ones seem to bring strong money) and five came along at once! She'll kill me, I know she will....
Old 5th Oct 2005, 4:36 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: R606s, like buses they are!

Hello Phil,

Gosh, you did do well ... I saw that auction and one or two others from 'collectradio' where they were auctionning several sets per auction but gave them a miss ... Im beginning to regret that now Mind you Ive got two near mint R606MBs already and Im rapidly running out of room here !

Howard
Old 5th Oct 2005, 4:39 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I was watching that auction, although with no intention of bidding, and was surprised there was only one bid - yours . You've done well there; getting a couple of good'ns and a load of spares from the deal
Old 5th Oct 2005, 5:04 pm   #4
Colin
Heptode

You did do well, and the posage seems remarkably cheap for 5 sets. It's not unknown to pay almost that much for one
Old 5th Oct 2005, 10:06 pm   #5
GJR 11L
Heptode

Yeah, I thought the p&p reasonable too. I suspect that the seller lost a bit on the postage, but this was ParcelForce and I couldn't say for sure how much the sending actually cost as I couldn't see the price in among all that small print on the label. A good, strong parcel though!
I've got another of the sets working, but the sound on that one is rather "Thin" (don't mean to go audiophool, sorry) and far too quiet with noticeable distortion. The fingers have taken industrial action after today's prolonged bout of radio-fettlin', but tomorrow I can check the electrolytics in the a/f side of things and I should have a third useable one.
Which means that larger Roberts sets now outnumber Hacker Sov IIs by 2-1 in this house.
What am I listening to as I write this? The Yacht Boy of course!