UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2005, 2:05 pm   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default Packing Advice For Late 40's Woody

Hi,
Im about to sort out shipping on an Alba woody for another collector.
I would like it to arrive in one piece.

I am thinking along the lines of

Knobs off and in a bag in the back of the radio.
Radio placed in a snug fitting or custom made cardboard box

cardboard box surrounded by 1" of foam inside another stout cardbaord box.

Fragile and this way up labels.

Will this be sufficient or do I need to put a batten inside the case between the top of the case and chassis incase the parcel is dropped ( or thrown) upside down ?

Any other recs gratefully accepted
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 2:29 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Packing Advice For Late 40's Woody

Bubblewrap, bubblewrap and more bubblewrap!

If I were packing this I'd do the following:

Pack interior with bubblewrap and polystyrene. Consider removing valves and individually bubblewrapping (not necessary with B8As or other locking types).
Surround radio with cardboard, especially the speaker grille.
Wrap radio in a *lot* of bubblewrap.
Seal in large strong box, packing any gaps with polystyrene or yet more bubblewrap.

I'm not sure 'fragile' or 'this way up' stickers achieve much. Some people say that bored posties give the wrong sort of special attention to items marked fragile.

Best regards, Paul
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 4:29 pm   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

You should consider removing the speaker from its baffle board and packing it carefully with extra protection for the cone. I say this from bitter experience having once received a wooden cabinet radio that had been shipped without this special speaker treatment - the speaker had torn loose and rattled around inside the cabinet smashing valves.
John.
Old 2nd Sep 2005, 5:36 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I agree with Paul on bubblewrap. The stuff with the bigger bubbles is a better choice than the regular stuff. Poly chips are not so good as the radio tends to shift in them with vibration and will be way off centre by the time it arrives.

As a test of your packing, decide if you would be happy dropping the package, any way up, out of an upstairs window onto concrete. That's about the level of abuse it could get when thrown from one end of a truck to the other.

I don't think Fragile stickers make any real difference, but they could help your case if you need to make a claim. Forget about This Way Up stickers - if your package would be damaged by transporting the wrong way up it is not packed well enough.

Set the tuning control so that the tuning cap is fully closed, so that is one less thing to get damaged if comething comes adrift inside. Stuff the inside with foam, bubblewrap, an old pillow or whatever. Then if something does come adrift it's unlikely to move very far. Don't put poly chips inside as this will make you unpopular with the recipient who has to clear them all out.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Sep 2005, 11:29 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
A wooden crate is the only answer. The cabinet is very likely to get smashed to bits if it is placed in a cardboard box. The unfortunate experience with other members on this site will back up my views.
I drive artics for most of the major carriers and must say I am very dissapointed at the general lack of care of the customers article. I must say from observation that the ROYAL MAIL do take customer care seriously and in over 10 years driving between major hubs, have only observed one parcel damaged and that was very poorly wrapped. By all means remove valves etc as a precaution but its the cabinet that suffers and is the most difficult to repair. Far better if at all posible to collect the receiver personally. I know it might be a long drive but at least you know you are going to receive it in one piece! Regards. JOHN.
Old 4th Sep 2005, 8:22 pm   #6
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

thanks all.
think it will be
speaker in one box
valves in one box.
set in one box full of bubble wrap.
wrapped with bubble wrap in larger box.
Ive got a large double thickness one stashed away for the job
and loads of bubble wrap, just ordered 60m off fleabay !
Old 22nd Sep 2005, 5:14 pm   #7
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

set packed and sent- got there in one piece !!
Closed Thread