UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2010, 2:01 pm   #1
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Variac's accuracy

Hi is it normal for variacs to be out.

The reason I ask is I thought a recent AVO minor I had was showing AC voltage incorrectly I set the variac @ 60V it looked about 5 volts out. I then tested with an AVO 7 and that was 5 volts out. Hmmm checked with Bench DMM and that gave a reading of 66.5V

OTT
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 2:07 pm   #2
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Re: Variacs accuracy

Variacs just divide down the mains voltage by a fraction so there are two things:

What nominal mains voltage is the variac designed for (240 or 230 or 220)?
What mains voltage do you actually have - this can vary throughout the day as well as be always out by a large margin depending on many factors...

Add into the mix the fact that your mains probably isn't a very pure sine wave too so different meters may give different results depending on how they perform the measurement!

Dom
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 2:07 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

Don't forget the AC input from the mains will vary. I use a variac at work and in the early morning can usually get up to 270v with the variac st to maximum but later in the day when the load is greater I may only get 260v maximum.

I'm not sure what the tolerance on the mains voltage is (I'm sure someone will know) but it's only a nominal 240v or is it 234v these days.

Keith

EDit Dom beat me to it. AVOs are usually calibrated on the AC ranges for a pure sinewave so a miss-shapen ac waveform will give a different reading.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 6:29 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

Another complication - often, Variacs have a tap at about 90% of the winding as well as a connection to the extreme (and a centre tap too).

If you connect the supply to the extremes, you get an output variable from 0 - 100% of the input. But if you connect the input to the 90% tap, you can achieve an output spanning 0 - 111% of the input. Clearly, the scale isn't going to be right for both. So, if you unscrew the scale plate, you may find an alternative set of numbers on the other side.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 6:35 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

5 volts out is very good. My Claude Lyons 'regulac' is a good 15-20 volts out on the dial and varies on load of course.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 6:40 pm   #6
Steve_P
Dekatron

Just put a meter across the variac when in use and use that to determine the voltage.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 8:55 pm   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've got two variacs and they are both out by something like 10%. I recall the % out varies across the scale. I use them with a meter. So I'd say the answer to your question is that your variac isn't unusual and they don't seem to be high accuracy devices.

The disc with the scale on sometimes has another scale on the back.

With things like this, with a scale that should be calibrated, it's worth checking what they are actually doing, rather than assume everything is as it seems and end up with confusing results or damaging something.

Pete.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 10:36 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
With things like this, with a scale that should be calibrated, it's worth checking what they are actually doing, rather than assume everything is as it seems and end up with confusing results or damaging something.
Definitely!

Always view anything which hasn't been calibrated as suspect (including test meters).

And if you don't have a calibrated meter, use two different uncalibrated ones. If they give similar readings, it's likely they are right. If they give different readings, view them as both suspect.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 11:15 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Variac's accuracy

Indeed, Kalee20, that is a very valid point: independent verification of measured quantities. Mr. Scroggie goes to great pains to point out the importance of this and various methods to achieve same in his excellent book "The Radio Laboratory Handbook". Mr. Terman does much the same in "Measurements in Radio Engineering". Both authors highlight the importance of allowing for 'invisible components' - usually reactances - that can upset measurements, even if the calibrations of the test equipments are known to be good - and devising methods to minimise (or eliminate) them.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 10:19 am   #10
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Variac's accuracy

The earlier posts have summed up the situation. I would just add that the construction of a Variac is also a factor. A 5v difference from the dial setting is not really surprising. So if the output voltage is important put a meter on it. If you are using it to check a meter there are problems.

From the way a Variac is constructed expecting the scale to give the output voltage accurately is a bit optimistic. It only needs the pointer or scale to be in the wrong position to give an error. I wonder how repeatable the output setting is when the scale is used to set it to the same value several times? The mains voltage is also another source of error that can be large.

The big advantage of the Variac for us is that it allows us to increase voltage from a low value to the working voltage smoothly. It can also be used to adjust for variations in supply voltage but this needs a meter on the output.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 11:07 am   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Variac's accuracy

I use a variac nearly every day when safety-testing medical equipment. It has to be connected to a callibrated voltmeter because of the inherent inaccuracy of these devices.

For hobby work, a few volts either way doesn't make any difference and the one I use at home is a good 10 volts out compared with the dial.

Rich.