UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2010, 11:35 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default A trip to the science museum

Hi all!
My parner and myself were bought some tickets for a London show for Christmas.
So while in London I paid a brief visit to the science museum, I was pleased to find an exibit of the history of plastics on at the moment, with a Video playing on a mocked up Bush Tv giving the history and development of Bakelite.
There was a nice display of plastic items, I could not resist taking some photos of the radios on display.
I then had a look around the Communications exibits where delights included a pre war GEC vision only Tv and a PAM 710.
My partner quipped " Hmm... Its just like being at home!"
IMHO well worth a look!

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00105 (2).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	32042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00101 (2).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	32043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00104 (2).JPG
Views:	210
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	32044   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	32045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00107.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	32046  

Old 25th Jan 2010, 11:46 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: A trip to the science museum

i did the same with the record and tape players about 12 years ago. they had a sharp VZ vertical deck, a 70s Bush /BSR record player and not far away an Atari console and spectrum.
Old 1st Feb 2010, 6:04 pm   #3
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

Seeing those photos just makes me relise that I really need to make another visit to the Science Museum..its been far far too long (approx 1978!). That early TV set looks fasinating. Of course for me the only dissapointment is to not see them working. I wonder if the exhibits are fully restored models or just look good on the outside but untouched inside. Any guesses?
Old 1st Feb 2010, 8:54 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Heaven View Post
I wonder if the exhibits are fully restored models or just look good on the outside but untouched inside. Any guesses?
My guess would be the latter.
Old 1st Feb 2010, 9:00 pm   #5
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

I guess thats probably better than a potentially bad restoration LOL!
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 12:50 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

When I went they had a working version of the early video game 'Pong!' but all the record and tapeplayers were just sitting there inert.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 1:08 am   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I keep meaning to do the trip, I enjoyed it last time, but I think that was in the '40s
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 12:55 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm in London on the way north next week and I was going to also suggest the Design Museum at Shad Thames [east of Tower Bridge]. I was there in 1999 to see a thirties exhibition [inc bits of Bexhill] but discovered the permanent domestic collection had a lot of radio/tv related items. Apparently this is "under review" currently and not displayed-shame. Users comments now seem less than complementary re size/content/price but I enjoyed it back then. On the up-side there is a Dieter Rams Ex [the man behind iconic Braun stuff] with some Radio content [until 7th March].
I might give it a go, particularly if the weather is at all favourable as it is interesting walking down there and it is a really pleasant area if you venture that far. The Jubilee Line Stations are a work of Art in themselves! Dave W
Old 6th Feb 2010, 9:50 am   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Heaven View Post
I wonder if the exhibits are fully restored models or just look good on the outside but untouched inside. Any guesses?
My guess would be the latter.
I think there would be issues about safety as far as running vintage electrical items all day every day. There is a Tv22 with the back (and a valve) missing and to be honest looked quite scruffy. The pre war GEC had some back screws that looked very much newer than the set so as to what has been done to the inside is anyones guess.
There is a 1920s radio in a glass case which is said to be working and there is a knob on the front of the case where you can tune it in to various period stations. The sound appears to come from a Philips speaker mounted on the wall above the glass case, but I am sure this is a mock up rather than a actual working 1920s radio.
While we were there there was a demonstration of a large steam engine, it was very impressive with lots of hissing and steam, but again I am sure it was a clever mock up as the steam seemed to come from the wrong places and the steam exaust pipe which appeared to exit through the floor ended a few cm above the floor and did not get hot
All of this said it was still very impressive and drew a large crowd!
Previously the last time I went to the museum was on a school trip in the 70s and they had a spark transmitter where you could transmit across a gangway from one exibit to another.
A great day, I will not be leaving it so long before my next visit!
Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 6th Feb 2010 at 10:02 am.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 10:08 am   #10
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Do they still have that massive mercury vapour rectifier running there?

AFAIK, it provided the power for many of the exhibits.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 3:57 pm   #11
slidertogrid
Octode

Didn't see the mercury arc rect. I will have to have a better look next time, to be honest time was a little limited.
Really to have a proper look you need a day plus... maybe we could organise a day trip for forum and BVWS members!?
Old 6th Feb 2010, 4:06 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Haven't seen the mercury arcs for many years. It was seeing them at the Science Museum when I was about 4 years old that made me want to own one.
Old 6th Feb 2010, 5:01 pm   #13
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I went there a few years ago for a few hours and came away thinking I could have spent a whole week in there. I can clearly remember seeing the 405 line band 1 ch2 Marconi transmitter which had been removed from North Hessary Tor site. It was quite compact but still an impressive sight.
Closed Thread