UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:22 pm   #41
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: The pleasures of owning components...

It's not a pleasure, it's a sodding nightmare - I have loads, and do you think I ever have the one I actually need?

No,

Simple, No. - Restoring my RA17, I need a 2w 8.2K modern thing, every value but!

Solution - get rid of the excess - probably several thousand parts!

Cheers
Sean
Old 28th Jan 2010, 10:05 am   #42
Colin
Heptode

Most of my spares collection is run of the mill stuff, but there are some pieces that I'd rather keep than use in a repair! Some very early NOS transistors for instance, still in their original packaging will remain as is. I'd rather keep them as interesting objects than let a repair swallow them up. If the repaired item was very special then perhaps I would use them, but it seems to me the transistors themselves are special in their own right. It's not the value of the item, simply the fact that they're interesting in themselves. A moment in time captured ... in my spares box! ;-) I guess having an interest in the components is a function of our shared interest in the devices they combine to produce.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 11:30 am   #43
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
It's not a pleasure, it's a sodding nightmare - I have loads, and do you think I ever have the one I actually need?

No,
Ha Ha.
My wife points that out to me frequently. Sometimes she's right!
Old 28th Jan 2010, 5:33 pm   #44
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Talking Re: The pleasures of owning components...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
No.
Restoring my RA17, I need a 2w 8.2K modern thing; every value but!

Cheers
Sean
Hmm. Trouble with that 'solution', Sean, is that you've got to have a really good tidy-up & do a thorough listing first so that you can then discover what exactly your 'excess' actually is!
At least when you've done that you'll then be able to find things. And who knows - you might even find parts that you never knew you had - such as a 8200-ohm 2-watt resistor

Al. / Skywave.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 8:16 pm   #45
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
And %$£'s law dictates two weeks later you'll need one of the ones you just got rid of.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 8:29 pm   #46
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
...there are some pieces that I'd rather keep than use in a repair! Some very early NOS transistors for instance, still in their original packaging... A moment in time captured ... in my spares box!
A very valid point, Colin. I've got some similar parts including a couple of RCA Nuvistors in their original boxes, some NOS transistors in unopened packs marked "Valve Electronic", brand new 'Radiospares' trimmers in their original boxes, and some 10 volt special bulbs for military signalling lamps...

Boxed NOS transistors are probably rarer than boxed NOS valves nowadays.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 28th Jan 2010, 9:43 pm   #47
f.cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
"Boxed NOS transistors are probably rarer than boxed NOS valves nowadays."

Think I have still got about half a dozen in garage (Mullards).
Old 28th Jan 2010, 10:46 pm   #48
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

My alleged reason for owning components is to have them as replacements for repair projects. This rarely works because above some critical number, the part needed desperately, can never be found. This is especially so when I have a clear memory of putting it in the parts box. The search though, brings to light all sorts of intriguing things and can give hours (well many minutes) of satisfaction recalling why they were bought in the first place.

The infallible way of finding this elusive item is to buy a replacement. Instantly after getting it, or even ordering it, the hidden piece leaps out of the depths and is the first thing I see when I next look at the junk box, - also known as spare component store.

I was once told to be disciplined and if something had not been used for some chosen time get rid of it. I tried this once and got rid of things (into a scrap box) but I could not resist keeping the box because something might be useful one day and I was back to the old ways again. I suppose I am just a magpie. It is a hobby after all so why not get all it has to offer including prompting memories.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 11:15 pm   #49
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

We all seem to experience the syndrome that John describes, of 'knowing' for certain that we've got something, then being unable to find it, thus having to order a new one only to find the wretched original soon afterwards.

However my cataloguing instinct paid dividends only last night - I needed an EM34 'magic eye' valve and sat down at the computer to order one, but first I checked through my valve spreadsheet and - lo and behold - I'd already got one! A few minutes' search and I found it. Perfect! Saved a few quid, too

Old 29th Jan 2010, 2:21 am   #50
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: The pleasures of owning components...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
A moment in time captured ... in my spares box! ;-)
Yes - only today, whilst re-cataloging my valve database & doing a "re-sort & tidy", I came across a couple of EB91 and EF91 that I instantly recognised by the writing on the 'Sellotape' labels crudely attached to each: my own scrawly hand-writing, circa 1962! And then it all came flooding back - that old B&W TV that I found on the local tip where the EB91s came from - and the ring CRT focussing magnets - not that I've got those now. I wonder where they went - and when?

But they were golden days - so much to learn; so much youthful enthusiasm.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 29th Jan 2010, 12:45 pm   #51
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

What a fascinating thread - and there was me thinking it was just me, being like this!

I've collected dozens of biscuit tins, tobacco tins and Oxo tins, the cataloguing only goes as far as the label on the side and possibly a barely up-to-date piece of paper inside. Many of the tins are probably worth more than the contents!

What no-one's referred-to here, perhaps it should be a separate thread, is what happens when we go to be collected ourselves. I've written a bit of a billy-do about this for my family but the fact remains that they're far too busy with their own affairs to sort this lot out adequately. But I don't want to get rid of it myself, I anticipate that I shall be stronger starting my second century than I was my first!

So, what's to be done?

Regards Ant
Old 29th Jan 2010, 2:13 pm   #52
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlong View Post

So, what's to be done?

Regards Ant
Donate all spares to the BVWS, that way future restorers will always have a quality central source to go to. We all then have the pleasure of knowing that our little pieces of memories continue to keep the sets alive even if we are not!

Regards
OTT
Old 29th Jan 2010, 3:14 pm   #53
dominicbeesley
Octode

Ok I give in and admit it - cataloguing can be useful and cheered me up yesterday my valve amp started popping, farting and hissing accompanied by a nice warm glow from the anode of one valve....before ordering a replacement a quick check of my list threw up 4 spares in stock that I'd forgotten. Bargain!

I can't even remember going through them - I must have gone through them when I came back from the pub one night....

Dom
Old 29th Jan 2010, 10:25 pm   #54
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It was probably inevitable, as Ant and OTT have shown, that the discussion would turn to what to do with our stashes of spare parts when we go. Sizeable bits of my collection have come from silent keys or electronics enthusiasts who have shuffled off this mortal coil, so it's only right for me to make plans for when the inevitable happens...

In my case, it's all going to the BVWS in my will. We're only temporary custodians of most of this stuff, anyway. Having it mostly catalogued will hopefully make some future BVWS volunteer's task easier. As to the family being far too busy with their own affairs to sort it out properly, I've led my three kids to believe that my vintage radio collection is incredibly valuable. Pure greed should ensure that it doesn't end up in landfill...

Old 29th Jan 2010, 10:38 pm   #55
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all,

Further to thoughts of the future: I have to confess that I'm not a BVWS member - I have enough memberships and magazines already and wireless etc restoration isn't specifically an interest as such. I've just looked quickly round the BVWS website and there's no mention of any sort of custodian of any sort of collection of odds'n'bits. If the Society plays the part of shopkeeper in any way this is the first I've seen it mentioned on this site, I'd be interested to hear more. Likewise if the Society has what one might call a "Technical Executor" person or committee who are prepared to sort out hoards of parts and equipment.

Regards Ant
Old 29th Jan 2010, 11:39 pm   #56
Pamphonica
Nonode

...maybe the Vintage Wireless Museum, that does hold stocks of old components bequeathed by enthusiasts. Gerry Wells does a fine job of keeping the flame alive....
Closed Thread