UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2005, 10:31 am   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default HMV 650, it really is that big!

A friend and fellow BVWS member brought this set round to me for a spot of TLC. Members may have read Gary Tempests article in the last bulletin regarding the Marconiphone 561, this is its cousin. I was not prepared for the sheer size and weight of this set, see it compared to a DAC90!. It is not far removed from a console set in dimensions, a Pye LV20 sits comfortably on top with room to spare ! I have to say that although the cabinet of the Marconiphone is more attractive, the tuning scale of the HMV wins hands down. After reading Garys article, it has to be said that I will not be attempting any realignment on the RF chassis.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT003a.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1321  

Last edited by newlite4; 22nd Aug 2005 at 10:42 am.
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 5:47 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 650, it really is that big!

I bought a cute-looking pre-war Pilot on eBay last year, made in England but obviously American-influenced design.

A few days later, it arrived, and turned out to be about as big as a 22" colour telly It's been in the loft ever since, of course.

Nick.
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 5:49 pm   #3
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: HMV 650, it really is that big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4
A friend and fellow BVWS member brought this set round to me for a spot of TLC.
With a speaker that huge, it's gotta sound really sweet!

I love that huge dial.
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 11:36 pm   #4
IanGEC
Retired Dormant Member

Now that is class !
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 11:57 pm   #5
Rejectostat
Hexode

That said, the Defiant MSH938 from a year later is bigger. Although an inch or two shorter, the Defiant is 2'7" wide. The HMV/Marconi is the better performer though delivering 10w from its push/pull KT63's.
Old 23rd Aug 2005, 2:30 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4
Members may have read Gary Tempests article in the last bulletin regarding the Marconiphone 561, this is its cousin. I was not prepared for the sheer size and weight of this set
As I recall, it's only about 60lbs Heavy for a table set, I'll grant you, but at least you're not having to deal with the c. 170lbs of the Marconi radiogram version of the chassis I apologise for the rather wretched photograph. There's a hatch in the side for access underneath the chassis, and it runs a pair of large elliptical loudspeakers. One of the four Queen Anne legs would make a formidable club...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0019A.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1330  
Closed Thread