UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2004, 10:35 pm   #1
johnlees
Hexode

Default Re-built Repanco One-Valver with Reaction

Many thanks to the several people who sent me bits to re-construct this boyhood radio which is now up-and-running and which seems to operate almost as I remember it except that the reaction control seems rather fierce. The only real problem is that Radio Luxembourg is not there and Classic Gold seems a poor substitute. Cheers to all, John.
Old 17th Nov 2004, 10:11 pm   #2
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Re-built Repanco One-Valver with Reaction

(a) The demise of Radio Luxemburg was an international tragedy.

(b) Reaction controls are always more fierce than you remember them.
Old 18th Nov 2004, 12:17 am   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

John,

you may find that the reaction can be tamed......

A lot of these sets (especially those designed by F.G. Rayer), were designed to run with a HT supply of between 150V and 250V - a massive variation! I have found the reaction to be smooth at the lower voltage, but fierce at higher HT voltages, the simple solution is to put a series resistor between the HT line and the HT end of the reaction poteniometer, such that the reaction control always has the lower HT voltage across it.

Jim.
Old 20th Nov 2004, 4:09 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Just picked this topic up.
Wow - F.G. Rayer. Now there WAS a prolific builder. Lots of stuff in Practical Wireless during the '50s, most of which seemed to have been built with great haste from cobbled-together odds and ends out of his scrap box. Can't deny the part he played in my youthful radio experimenting, though! Is he still with us, I wonder?
-Tony
Old 20th Nov 2004, 10:31 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No he isn't. I remember reading an obituary in Everyday Electronics back in the late 70s or early 80s.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old 21st Nov 2004, 1:22 am   #6
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

For anyone interested in F.G. Rayer I would recommend the article in the October 2002 issue of Practical Wireless. " Mr Project-The F.G. Rayer G3OGR Story ' over the years many PW readers have wondered just who was the man behind the anonymous initials, F.G. Rayer G3OGR? As an enigmatic and prolific author whose name appeared in many radio, Amateur Radio and electronics magazines, F.G. remained virtually anonymous. Here his son William Rayer unravels the mysteries surrounding Mr Project' ".

In my own personal opinion, I do not think that F.G. has ever been surpassed in his project writing. Even after all these years I still look out for any articles he wrote.
Paul E

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:54 pm.
Old 26th Nov 2004, 10:10 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

At the risk of going off-topic, F G Rayer and F J Camm where probably the two main influences during my early years of radio building back in the mid sixties and early seventies before I took all the formal exams.

Rich.
Old 26th Nov 2004, 10:20 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

For those who didn't know, FJ Camm's brother was Sidney Camm, the designer of the Hawker Hurricane.
Closed Thread