UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2011, 9:21 pm   #41
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Philips Electronic Engineer Kits Starter for You?

I never saw or even heard of the CRT kit so that's a fascinating development I wonder if they were ever available in the UK
Old 7th Jan 2011, 2:16 pm   #42
jhalphen
Hexode

More on the same TV/Video scientific boxes:

Apparently Schuco continued with a modernized oscilloscope + TV add-on after Philips stopped their EE-1007/EE-1008 boxes.

The Schuco version is interesting, they used a Telefunken miniature CRT with P4 (white) phosphor which was developed for the Sinclair pocket TV series.

Here's a photo of the Schuco complete TV kit assembled, isn't it just irresistible!

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

PS: Browsing through the data, i saw that Philips once showed a prototype B&W vidicon TV camera prototype at the Stuttgart Toy Fair. Unfortunately, it was never placed into production.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schuco-01 - 6105E Oscilloscope Lab 1984.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	44783  
Old 7th Jan 2011, 9:20 pm   #43
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

I think mine was the EE1050 and I daresay I could possibly still find one or two cards if I dig around long enough, it doesn't seem like long ago that they were still kicking around.

Supplied transistors on those daft looking heat sinks were a BC148 and a BF194.
Projects included a light variable oscillator (buzzer), a Light triggered oscillator, shown on TV as a burglar (dad+torch) detector, ambulance siren, mostly sound and light projects I think..

http://ee.old.no/

Last edited by G8VAT Wolfman; 7th Jan 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old 8th Jan 2011, 11:51 am   #44
Cobaltblue

As the Philips kits were quite expensive toys in the 1960's anything with CRT's and camera tubes must have been beyond the pocket of most children that fantastic looking Schuco kit almost looks like a mini development system. It must have cost a lot more than a complete TV Mike
Old 12th Jan 2011, 1:13 pm   #45
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Mine dated from the mid to late sixties. The baseboard was overlaid with a white project card and I remember the most time-consuming task was to fit the little springs and clips through the holes. It was the one with AF116s and AC126s and - my favourite - the nice stripy LDR (what was the number?). A wire fell off mine and I remember having to order a new one from an advertiser in Practical Wireless for 50p! All right then, ten shillings...
I was particularly taken with the description in the handbook of a burglar breaking into the house where Junior had thoughtfully made the Burglar Alarm Kit - I was rather disappointed no thief tried to enter my bedroom to be assailed with wailing sirens! Luckily the family dog was on hand (or paw)....
They were great and obviously gave many of us the interest to make and repair things. Today's lucky children will only be able to learn to watch and buy....or is that the cynic in me?
Glyn
Old 12th Jan 2011, 6:01 pm   #46
Cobaltblue

Hi Glen late 60's suggests that you had the EE1003 there is a fantastic Web site with a lot of the Kits here: http://ee.old.no/
Maybe you can recognise yours.

I have been really pleased to hear of so many of us who started with these kits. I am sure not all the youth of today are wasting their time but I fully understand you cynicism.

You can still buy some qiite excellent kits from the science museum but I am biased toward the Philips kits although I must say that Kits such as the Trionic from the 60's were also very good.

Have a good one Mike
Old 12th Jan 2011, 8:29 pm   #47
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, Philips also had a technical library "Popular Series". This had books on remote control for a model battleship (8 channel, valves); a book on a variety of scopes, and a book called "Robot Circuits" that contained the design for a robot (valve) dog.
The first 2 books I have and I'm sure formed the basis for some of the kits, but has anyone a copy of the Robot book?

Thanks, Ed
Old 12th Jan 2011, 10:13 pm   #48
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

LDR. I have the number ORP12 imprinted on my neurons.. anybody confirm that?
Old 12th Jan 2011, 10:22 pm   #49
murphyv310
Dekatron

ORP12 it is.
I must admit I would like one of the EE8's to play with now, It sure would be a trip down memory lane!!
Old 12th Jan 2011, 10:48 pm   #50
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Not sure that the photocell in the Philips kits was an ORP12. ISTR the ORP12 was circular with wires coming out of the side opposite the sensitive face. The photocell in the Philips kit was tombstone shaped, thinner than an ORP12, with wires coming out of the straight edge.
Old 12th Jan 2011, 10:56 pm   #51
Cobaltblue

From what I can recall the LDR is not given a part number in the kit. On the yellow card it just says LDR. I don't remember seeing a part number on the component either. I have use ORP12's very popular in magazine projects of the 70's and I think Jeffry is right they were circular.
Old 12th Jan 2011, 11:07 pm   #52
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Just had a look in my drawers and found what I'm pretty sure is an LDR from a Philips EE set. That's the one on the right, it has a nicely striped sensor. Apologies for rubbish mobile phone picture.

The left device is an ORP12 which also has a stripy sensor. The middle one is a selenium cell, almost certainly bought from Proops of Tottenham Court Road back in the late 1960s.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photocells.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	45095  
Old 12th Jan 2011, 11:18 pm   #53
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,

In France, it was Philips LDR03, see pix below,

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips LDR3-01.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	45096  
Old 12th Jan 2011, 11:46 pm   #54
Keith
Heptode

My parents couldn't afford the Phillips kits but I did get a second-hand "Trans-Tronic" version. http://www.jeux-jouets.fr/boite-tran...tation-65.html (mine was in English except for the mysterious GO and PO labels on the tuning coil). My favourite circuit was the AM transmitter. Some things never change!
Old 12th Jan 2011, 11:48 pm   #55
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

I remember getting a Philips "Electronic Engineer" kit as a youngster - not sure what model it was but it did use an AF117. I got it after trying several times without success to make a crystal set. The Philips kit really worked, and it gave me a lot of fun. I also learned quite a lot from it, including the fact that the rotten earphones that I had been trying to use earlier barely worked at all.

A trip to Lisle Street (remember) provided me with a pair of army surplus balanced armature headphones, which gave very loud results with the kit. Despite being not very high impedance, these phones finally gave me some results with a crystal set which I had given up on before. That encouraged me to try other things, and so it went on.

I will never forget the magic of getting those things to work. It seems a pity that the demise of analogue radio may put such experiences beyond the reach of future generations.
Old 13th Jan 2011, 11:17 am   #56
Andrew2
Nonode

Great memories, Adjuster. I wonder, did you notice that you'd been trying to make a working one-transistor radio but just couldn't hear a thing no matter how many different designs you tried, then one day you made one that worked and suddenly you couldn't make one that didn't work? It's like a heavenly switch has been thrown and now you are allowed in....

The LDR's I remember from the mid 60's were the ORP12 and the ORP60 (?). I used to solder mine to a scrap of veroboard so the wires wouldn't break off.
Old 13th Jan 2011, 1:37 pm   #57
Coastwatch
Retired Dormant Member

A fascinating thread which has brought back a few memories. Thanks for sharing

A bit OT but solar powered garden lights have a miniature LDR plus 600ma rechargeable batt, solar cell and 3 or 4 transistors, not bad for a £1 from your local (you guessed it) £shop.

Cheers n Beers,

David......
Old 13th Jan 2011, 2:08 pm   #58
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastwatch View Post
A bit OT but solar powered garden lights have a miniature LDR......
Slight confusion here. An LDR is a light dependent RESISTOR. Usually based on cadmium sulphide. Doesn't generate any electricity at all. The middle cell in my photo is a selenium cell which generates a tiny amount of electricity. I expect the solar powered garden lights to use silicon based solar cells which are a lot more efficient than selenium.
Old 13th Jan 2011, 2:30 pm   #59
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all,

Fascinating thread this one - certainly brings back some fond memories!

I remember being bought the Philips RE8 radio kit - must have been Christmas 1964 when I was just short of 8. Dad constructed it for me though and it worked first time. This was the little MW reflex with an AF116 and two AC126's feeding a high-Z loudspeaker. I've still got it!

A year later I was lucky to be bought the EE8 (or was it EE20?) - same transistors but far more versatile, everything from radios to alarms, lamp flashers, an electric organ and even a Wheatstone-like bridge measuring circuit. I've still got some parts of this too, though some components have been borrowed over the years (the AF116 is Still doing service in a Bush TR82 with no sign of whisker shorts).

These kits can't have been cheap even then and must have been quite an outlay for my far-from well-off parents, but I learnt a hell of a lot from them, although it was some years before I really understood the more advanced parts of the excellent Manual.

Are there kits of similar quality around today? My daughter is a bit young at four, but I'm hoping she'll get out of the Barbie Doll phase soon . . .

Cheers,
Neil
Old 13th Jan 2011, 2:34 pm   #60
Coastwatch
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Slight confusion here. An LDR is a light dependent RESISTOR.
But you do get an LDR in them so they don't switch on in daylight. I was merely giving a parts list to show what a bargain they can be, I do know the difference.

Cheers n Beers,

David.....
Closed Thread