UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:11 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile It's vintage technology. Honest!

Hi,
Possibly not for this forum, but sort of connected with vintage TV technology.
I watched a video on YouTube last night about a 1987 Aston Martin Lagonda luxury car.
The presenter was showing us around its features and gadgets. Some of them were ahead of their time, including not having mechanical instruments on the dash. However, instead of the LCD screens, as used today, it had three CRT displays giving the usual information; speed, fuel level, water temp, etc.
I'm surprised nobody thought to use one as a reversing monitor, but there y'go.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:22 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: It's vintage technology. Honest!

The 1956 Buick Centurion concept car actually has a CRT reversing camera. Whether it was actually functional or not at the time, I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	207583   Click image for larger version

Name:	56-bui11.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	207584  
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:51 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

It's important to understand the difference between concept cars and production cars. That's because ( and hopefully bringing it back to this forum) there was a bizarre rule banning CRTs (and I think it was very speciffically CRTs) from being visible by drivers in cars.

So many 70s and 80s concept cars had CRT monitors, indeed I have one that I bought back in the nineties when a development site closed. Having seen the bag today it lives in I reminded myself I must see if it still works, and tell the forum more about it.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:53 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

Back in the 80's (84/85) we were partnered with a company based in Kingston upon Thames which provided mobile data terminals for police vehicles.

I still had some of the spares 20 years later.

None of my team had to repair a single unit in the 10 year contract.

I often wondered how it went for the users.

The monitors used little 6 inch CRT's

Z80 processors comms was over UHF radio which we were not responsible for.

There was no thought of using them for reversing cameras due to the size of the Cameras.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:30 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

I am always surprised by the high definition of the miniature monochrome CRT's used frequently in episodes of Anderson's 'Space 1999'. Clearly they benefited from being on a closed circuit, but even so they are impressive.

Dave
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:09 am   #6
Brigham
Octode

The smaller the screen, the higher the definition.
I'm constantly amazed by the detail in small, 30-line pictures.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:26 am   #7
Dai Corner
Hexode

In the 1970s a relative who would probably now be described as a 'geek' fitted a small CRT TV into the dashboard of his car. The wiring prevented it operating while the ignition was on which he maintained made it legal.

He and his wife used to drive to a local beauty spot on fine evenings and watch 'Crossroads'. I don't recall whether he ever had a conversation with a police Constable about his unusual accessory or watched too long and ran the battery too low to start the engine and drive home.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:45 am   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

I have been driven down a motorway in Korea, at night, in the pouring rain, with the driver watching TV. Not a nice experience!
Old 4th Jun 2020, 1:55 pm   #9
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
Possibly not for this forum, but sort of connected with vintage TV technology.
I watched a video on YouTube last night about a 1987 Aston Martin Lagonda luxury car.
The presenter was showing us around its features and gadgets. Some of them were ahead of their time, including not having mechanical instruments on the dash. However, instead of the LCD screens, as used today, it had three CRT displays giving the usual information; speed, fuel level, water temp, etc.
I'm surprised nobody thought to use one as a reversing monitor, but there y'go.
Cheers, Pete.
The CRT instruments actually came along in the second generation of the wedge-shaped Lagonda (confusingly known as the Series 3!). The first generation (Series 2) had all-LED readouts for the instruments and touch-sensitive switches for all the controls.

The final Series 4 cars had VFD displays similar to those used by Vauxhall on the Senator and Astra GTE at the time.

I'd love a Series 2...*sigh*
Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:47 pm   #10

Not quite illegal post 7), here is the quote from the construction and use regulations 1986...

Television sets
109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a)about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;
(b)about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;
(c)to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or
(d)to assist the driver to reach his destination.
(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:49 pm   #11

...And I don't think it has been updated to include LCDs, OLEDs etc..

Old 4th Jun 2020, 4:15 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

The RTA is possibly a topic for a forum somewhere, but not here.
Closed Thread