UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2020, 9:59 am   #21
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Thread unlocking chemical

Yes, that's it. Sold as MEK in model shops for kitbuilders.
Rob
Old 5th May 2020, 11:17 am   #22
Mullard_Nut_74
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Of course, paint stripper these days "ain't what it used to be"!
Yes I think it used to contain MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytones) very carcinogenic and caused dermititis. They banned it from the printing industry in my second year of apprenticeship in Australia.

Would acetone do the same thing?
A cheap bottle of nail polish remover containing acetone would last for ages if applied with a cotton bud.
I just don't know if it would eat anything else important in there although saying that it doesn't eat through the fingernails or the fingers so I imagine it should only remove the glue that holds the trim pot in place.
Old 6th May 2020, 6:29 pm   #23
ChristianFletcher
Heptode

I just bought a small bottle of something from MG Chemical that’s designed to eat through a range of conformal coating which in my experience is pretty tough stuff. I bought it really for its small size and convenience. I will let you know if it works and post the details if it does etc. Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 7:34 pm   #24
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullard_Nut_74 View Post
Yes I think it used to contain MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytones) very carcinogenic and caused dermititis. They banned it from the printing industry in my second year of apprenticeship in Australia.
Could you give us a link to anything on the net that says that MEK is "very carcinogenic" please?

I think you may find that a major reason for MEK being phased out was its rather low flash point, making it a fire hazard. Especially undesirable in the printing industry, where I assume large quantities of paper are often close by.

B
Old 6th May 2020, 9:46 pm   #25
Mullard_Nut_74
Tetrode

Hi Bazz,
I only ever remember being told it got taken out for being a known carcenogen.
Like a good apprentice I believed my TAFE teachers.
Turns out they were talking out their ass. So I NOW looked up MEK 24 years or so later and find it was removed because it was suspected of damaging the nervous system.

Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: Can cause dry, red, cracked skin (dermatitis) following skin contact. May harm the nervous
system. Conclusions cannot be drawn from the limited studies available.
Carcinogenicity: Not known to cause cancer.

Back in those days I didnt question authority or the things they told us.
Sorry for spreading someone elses missinformation.

Neil
Old 6th May 2020, 10:36 pm   #26
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yep, the problem is that a great many solvents made the change from being in routine use to being pretty much banned in a relatively short period of time.
Certainly, benzene and carbon tet were link to cancer, but many others were phased out for a variety of other reasons. The Californians tried hard to eliminate or at least limit all volatile organic compounds (VOC).

So, I think it is reasonable to distinguish the workplace, where somebody could be exposed to something all day every day, and occasional use by we hobbyists. I make limited use of MEK, acetone and toluene and feel those are safe if used with respect.

B