UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2019, 10:14 am   #1
Test Desk
Tetrode

Default "Livewires" saved my life...

Probably.
As a child in Birmingham, I was always fascinated by electronics and there were two brothers with a repair and retail shop nearby who sold everything electrical. The shop was called "Livewires" and the two chaps were very helpful with any query I might have as a wannabe livewire myself. One day, I asked them if they had an old television for parts: resistors etc. I received a lecture on the dangers of delving into the backs of TV sets even when they weren't powered up, for which i an eternally grateful.
I did hoodwink them into supplying me with a new element for my Mom's iron by saying a friend with all the gear was going to do the job. As I didn't have what they advised my "friend" would need ( a pyrometer?) I changed the element and adjusted the thermostat by trial and error, starting at the cool end
and making upwards adjustments until Mom was happy. Not bad for a 12yo lad but a bit dangerous on reflection.
Old 28th Dec 2019, 2:07 pm   #2

Default Re: "Livewires" saved my life...

I think my life was saved by Granddad, he was a bit of an east end polymath and wideboy during WWII, he taught me how to do things and how to make sure I wasn't going to be harmed e.g. shorting mains wires before playing with them, left hand in pocket, do a neat job, take notes and leave them in place.

Next it was mother (daughter of said Granddad) who sent me on a tour of Bedford jail when I was 14 or so (she knew a sociology tutor) that made me never, ever, do anything that may send me to jail, they are awful places.

Coming on to 60 now, never been in jail, found my notes in electrical stuff I have done (very handy) and with a bit of luck have taken on Granddads optimism, I have dug holes to make ends meet and have been proud of a job well done. (Not easy digging a good hole).

Closed Thread