UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2020, 9:43 pm   #401
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Did anyone spot the mistake on this evenings repair shop, the repairer lied about the eumig projector he was repairing saying the jumpy pic was due to a bit of fluff yet the glaringly obvious cause was he didn't leave a loop from the gate to the lower sprocket, I got told off for shouting liar at the telly by my wife hee hee. I paused it and showed her the little dotted line showing a loop has to be left on the film for the sprocket or it yanks it through the gate, how did I know? My dad had the same projector and I made the same mistake, later when the guy gets it back it has the lower loop when playing.
I should get out more
Not sure if I missed something, but the motor wasn't running, then he re-made an earth connection and it worked. That isn't right surely?
Old 27th May 2020, 9:46 pm   #402
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

I enjoy watching the program, it's entertainment rather than educational. I prefer the furniture and art restorations rather than technology, I know nothing about these and can't pick holes!

Peter
Old 27th May 2020, 11:48 pm   #403
The Philpott
Dekatron

It's arguably a GOOD thing that errors and inconsistencies can be picked out by us, if 100% accuracy was achieved our brains would have less to do!

Massive contrast in integrity between TRS and 'Money for Nothing' -witness the -potentially- grisly end facing a very stout bearing puller (i switched off early in disgust as it reached the workshop of Chenevix-Trench as it looked like it was going to end up being a lamp stand.)

Dave
Old 28th May 2020, 3:26 am   #404
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've stopped watching that prog; too frustrating that you are most unlikely to be able to learn from it. Also, it has something about it that makes me think it would have fitted in to the early evening Sunday TV made by Yorkshire in the 1970's .

B
Old 28th May 2020, 7:14 am   #405
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not sure if I missed something, but the motor wasn't running, then he re-made an earth connection and it worked. That isn't right surely?
Back in the 50's & 60's German equipment like that Eumig projector would have had a red earth wire as standard on the lead supplied with the projector.
Old 28th May 2020, 7:50 am   #406
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Back in the 50's & 60's German equipment like that Eumig projector would have had a red earth wire as standard on the lead supplied with the projector.
Not sure what your point is regarding the colour of wires. My point is that he said that an earth wire was adrift etc - as I previously said.

BTW, as I've previously said, I love the programme and these faux pas are just how it is in order to produce a programme that is entertaining for the masses. As a restorer myself I would much rather the populous watch this than say X-factor. I loved the job that the lady did on that painting, and I do like to see the response of the owners. It is not meant to be a cold, clinical, 100% accurate tutorial on how to restore stuff, such a programme would have a much more limited appeal and less commercial success, which is the reason that programmes are made of course.
Old 28th May 2020, 8:15 am   #407
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I wonder if there are teddy bear repair or pottery or painting restoration forums where folk are equally good at spotting errors and inconsistencies?

Andy
Old 28th May 2020, 9:36 am   #408
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Did anyone spot the mistake on this evenings repair shop, the repairer lied about the eumig projector he was repairing saying the jumpy pic was due to a bit of fluff yet the glaringly obvious cause was he didn't leave a loop from the gate to the lower sprocket, I got told off for shouting liar at the telly by my wife hee hee. I paused it and showed her the little dotted line showing a loop has to be left on the film for the sprocket or it yanks it through the gate, how did I know? My dad had the same projector and I made the same mistake, later when the guy gets it back it has the lower loop when playing.
I should get out more
I noticed the fluff thing and thought that if he had cleaned the projector properly there shoiuld not have been any fluff. I missed the loop issue but thought the shutter blades had maybe got out of sync with the pull down timing. That was a common cause of slipping pictures in projectors.

A couple of my friends had Eumigs back in the 1960's and they seemed very solid and reliable machines.
Old 28th May 2020, 11:58 am   #409
duncanlowe
Nonode

I have one of those Eumig P8s. It was my Dad's (I suppose it still is). I knew he hadn't threaded it properly when it jumped, I'd done it myself donkey's years ago. The only repair it will have needed will have been the belt, I can confirm the originals go gooey!

I'll have a look at the colours in the mains lead, when I find the lead!
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:27 pm   #410
PaulR
Dekatron

I find the programme very entertaining and appreciate the skill of the experts particularly the "crafty" ones such as the furniture restorer, the leather worker, the upholsterer and the art restorer etc.

The more mechanical experts are good, however they have every tool imaginable available. It must be great to be able to "just turn one up" on a precision lathe or to have just the right saw to cut out a small piece of brass for something. They are obviously very skillful but having just the right equipment and materials to hand is helpful,
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:11 am   #411
G6ONEDave
Octode

I normally enjoy the BBC's Repair Shop but was a bit disappointed with the radiogram repair aired on the 29th Sept 2020. I appreciate as a viewer that I don't know all of the details of a specific repair but to replace both the radio and turntable for totally different models seemed to be going a bit too far to me. Then when they played the record as a demonstration, it seemed to be totally lacking any top end. Another comment or perhaps more of a question, where was the tonearm weight for the replacement deck? If that radiogram was mine, I would have been rather unhappy with the outcome.
Dave
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:22 am   #412
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Yes it appeared that he couldn't be bothered with repairing the radio side so swapped it. And unless I missed it I can't remember hearing a demo of the radio at all. Probably wrote both those units off.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:24 am   #413
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I do wish they didn't keep sticking in totally irrelevant bits of previous viewings. I suppose it's just to satisfy the upcoming yoofs with short attention spans
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:35 am   #414
G6ONEDave
Octode

No I don't think any of us missed the radio being shown to work, they just did not bother with it, unless I had a very long blink with my hands over my ears and consequently missed it. They are doing some type of amplifier today, so we shall see how that ends up!
Dave
Old 30th Sep 2020, 10:52 am   #415
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
to replace both the radio and turntable for totally different models seemed to be going a bit too far to me. Then when they played the record as a demonstration, it seemed to be totally lacking any top end.
Dave
I haven't seen this episode but from previous ones I have seen radio repairs are less impressive than others. I remember once when they simply replaced all the valves in a set for no apparent reason. Presumably expense and use of finite resources isn't a consideration. I think I might miss this one or I will be commenting to the TV to the annoyance of my wife!. If they replaced the radio and turntable what was actually left of the old radiogram or did it have a separate amplifier?

I did see one where the original mains movement of a clock was replaced by a battery quartz one at the request of the owner. To be fair the clock man did seem a bit uncomfortable over that. Hopefully they kept the original movement.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 1:29 pm   #416
AC/HL
Dekatron

I just caught the radiogram item as I was going out to the pub, so recorded it out of interest. The deck and speakers were fair enough, they were going to replace them from the start. The change of chassis was a surprise, no reason was given for that. This item seemed to be a fill-in between the two main restorations to me, just a quick demonstration of the record that formed her main memory.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 1:56 pm   #417
Beobloke
Heptode

If this was the radiogram repair where the repairer tripped the breaker in the Repair Shop whilst testing it, then I am not a fan of his. He was wheeled back in to repair the Garrard motor that drove a barber's pole in another episode and then joked that he hoped it didn't "put out all the lights" before he plugged it in.

Frankly, he may know about gramophones but he shouldn't be let anywhere near electrics as he clearly hasn't got a clue about basic electrical safety.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 1:59 pm   #418
Electronpusher0
Nonode

There was no excuse for changing the Tuner/amp, the unit from the doner was completely different, the original had round selector switches, the doner square for instance.
The Deck was to be expected as the original one was lost and the speakers needed changing and would not be seen.
The owner wanted it restored and instead got back her original case with different guts, not a restoration in my book.

Peter
Old 30th Sep 2020, 2:44 pm   #419
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Frankly, he may know about gramophones but he shouldn't be let anywhere near electrics as he clearly hasn't got a clue about basic electrical safety.
There could be either of two backgrounds to this

1) The tripped-all-the-lights thing might have been faked for programme interest reasons. I assume the filming lights kept going

2) The programme makers haven't a clue that different skills are needed between purely mechanical players of records and electrical/electronic players of records.

Anyone with any understanding of a subject is not going to enjoy these programmes.I come from the hill above where they filmed the last of the summer wine, and the amount of fakery that went on was terrible. The trio walked into a corner on a path and came out of another corner a few miles away. Everything was bent to fit the image in the producer's head. A walk into a shop frontage in Holmfirth put them in Schofield's department store in Leeds. Not only a TARDIS shift in space, but it was an awful lot bigger inside than outside.

I think anything touched on by the TV entertainment industry is going to be wrong in many, many ways.

David
Old 30th Sep 2020, 2:46 pm   #420
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Yes, Mark Stuckey has gone down somewhat in my estimation after that one.

I watched the episode on line and it included the muffled demo. Perhaps that got edited out of shorter airings.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread