UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2017, 4:18 pm   #21
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Sounds of the Sixties - Brian Matthew

I have - dare I admit this - many hours of good quality off-air recordings of 'Sounds of the Sixties' on cassettes made many decades ago, not that I ever play them. I've nothing against Tony Blackburn and was a regular listener to him on Radio One when it started.

I was however very annoyed, as were many, when the BBC sacked dear old Malcolm Laycock from his Sunday Night at Ten dance bands and swing bands programme. Why do the BBC do this sort of thing? I confess I stick mainly to Radio 4 these days, as I have all the music I'll ever need, readily available when I want, on other media.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th Feb 2017, 5:25 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Remember the Daily Mail hold a rather large grudge against the BBC .....
Old 14th Feb 2017, 6:12 pm   #23

Not a particular fan of music shows myself, John Peel was worth listening to, "I have a cassette" (music plays) "I didn't like that". Made you wait for the next one.

Old 14th Feb 2017, 8:03 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I'm sure you are right about Mr C Bill [p19] but that's what nature is there for isn't it? It doesn't need managerial input in my opinion. Desmond did it "his way" and made his decisions in the end. The Beeb are pretty selective. They've kept people on who are visibly struggling [when it suits] and "let go" younger more competent staff. They lost a very prominent Tribunal Case and the staff member returned to work but simply wasn't able enabled to stay in the end. It's one thing to trumpet your anti-ageism policy and procedures on a web site but large organisations, in particular eg Local Government, often ignore them in the end-they can afford it .

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Feb 2017 at 8:12 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 9:08 pm   #25
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I used to enjoy Brian Matthew's 'Round Midnight' programme back in the late 70s and early 80s.

I will miss him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
I was however very annoyed, as were many, when the BBC sacked dear old Malcolm Laycock from his Sunday Night at Ten dance bands and swing bands programme.
I also miss Malcolm Laycock, Jimmy Young, David Jacobs, John Dunn, Ray Moore, Desmond Carrington, Hubert Gregg, Benny Green, Terry Wogan, Humphrey Lyttleton... and the kind of programmes they presented and the erudite manner in which they presented them.

Radio 2 has been steadily turning into Radio 1.5 for some years. I only listen to the remaining late night specials.

However, there is Radio 3, Radio 4 and the internet.

If you want to give your Vintage Radios an authentic sound try Serenade Radio - second birthday today! - via the pantry Tx.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 9:08 pm   #26
ToneArm
Pentode

I always enjoyed Brian Mathews & Sounds of 60s. But, now he's retired, or been retired, it must be a good time to roll on to a new decade!

And someone please rescue the 80s from Sara Cox.. And give Pick of the Pops back to Blackburn, Gambaccini is dull as undercoat.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:33 pm   #27
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Considering they let Alan Keith die in harness, long past his competence, they might have let Brian go in his own time. I did some programmes with him many years ago, and still remember his professionalism, efficiency and affability. No "side" to him at all. And he wasn't too grand help a young engineer cope with a stroppy producer.

Enforced or no, a happy retirement to him - he deserves it.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 10:39 pm   #28
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
If you want to give your Vintage Radios an authentic sound try Serenade Radio - second birthday today! - via the pantry Tx.
Yes, Serenade Radio is very good and definitely fills a need. Andy Marriott on 'Pure Nostalgia' (Sunday evenings), is (in my opinion) the equal of any of those former Radio 2 'greats' in terms of broadcasting personality and background knowledge.

Steve
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:41 pm   #29
Colourstar
Octode

I definitely have the impression the schedulers are putting certain Radio 2 shows 'out to grass' no doubt as they are enjoyed by more mature listeners on the whole and Radio 2 seems to be on a mission to appeal to younger audiences. The shunting of 'Sounds Of The Sixties' from the 8-10am slot to 6am reinforces that view. Dermot O'Leary is due to take over 8-10 and generally plays live sessions from current artists, so I can't imagine any Brian Matthew fans will be hanging around for that.

Hardy perennials such as 'The Organist Entertains' and 'Listen To The Band' have been gradually moved to later and later slots, whilst 'The Sunday (Half)Hour' which I suspect was enjoyed by many older folks, was - unforgiveably in my opinion- moved from it's comfy teatime slot to a decidedly ungodly 6am on Sunday thus denying it's core listeners their small comfort.

Radio 2 seems to have veered completely off course from the less frenetic alternative to Radio 1 that it was conceived as in 1967. It used to be a pleasant and varied mix of easly listening, quizzes and comedy well into the 1990s, but has gradually it's lost its way.

The Beeb don't seem to want older listeners messing up their youthful demographic. It's very disappointing that a national radio network as large as the BBC's has no provision at all for easy listening.

Last edited by Colourstar; 14th Feb 2017 at 11:47 pm.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 11:52 pm   #30
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Not sure about easy listening but if it's an inescapable truth that the UK has an ageing population [at present] broadcasting services [that they subsidise] should be more focused on their needs not some sort of middle aged/middle class hinterland. For that matter I'm not convinced that the young get a good service either. It's all about celebrity presenters-process not content in the Corporation!

Dave
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:17 am   #31
evingar
Octode

It's sad to hear "Sound Of The Sixties being "shunted" to 6AM. I can't think that I will be listening to the first half "live".

I can tolerate Tony Blackburn, but will miss Brian Matthew. I suppose with "listen again" (etc) the original broadcast time has become less important.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:37 am   #32
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Radio 2's remit is covering ages 35 - 100+ a near impossible brief. By moving what many consider 'old-codger' shows to graveyard slots they are conveniently out of the way but it can still be claimed that the full remit is covered.

However, if you include the majority of Radio 2's output and the 1-xtra and 6 Music DAB stations, the BBC is operating four national pop stations. Poke around the darker reaches of R3 and R2 and you might find 6 hours of jazz, big band, etc., a week. If you like 'easy listening', songs from the shows and the likes of Matt Monro then there's 11-Midnight on Sundays on R2 and that's your lot.

SOTS and Brian Matthew was an institution - I wonder how long it will last in the 6am slot?
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:13 pm   #33
Brigham
Octode

Does anyone know why the BBC is paying an independent production company to make this programme? Are the new facilities at Broadcasting House not suitable after all?
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:36 pm   #34
Viewmaster
Hexode

Wish there was, " Sound of the 30's."
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:45 pm   #35
camtechman
Nonode

Tony Blackburn had a great Soul Music show on BBC 3 Counties Radio in 2016, which was excellent & without any corny remarks.

I was never a previous follower of Tony but he was an aficionado on Soul Music and I tuned in to his Soul Music show every week, not just for the music but his comments about the music and also the artists and knowledgeable information about them.

I hope 3CR bring him back.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:49 pm   #36
wireless_john
Heptode

I think Tony Blackburn is a bit corny but he was there in the beginnings!

At least it's not Chris Evans! That would have been a switch off for me.

0600 is a bit early! Hopefully it will be on iPlayer and we can carry on like we did before!

John
Old 15th Feb 2017, 1:02 pm   #37
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Does anyone know why the BBC is paying an independent production company to make this programme?
Probably for the same financial reasons why they no longer own or operate any transmitters

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 15th Feb 2017, 1:17 pm   #38
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've been listening to Serenade radio for a couple of hours this morning. Reminds me of the old Light Programme or the earlier days of Radio 2 to some extent. As to SOTS being moved to 6AM, like others, I feel that this is too early. No issues with either Tony Blackburn or Tim Rice as presenters. Both, IMHO, in their different ways, do a good job.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 1:36 pm   #39
music-centre
Heptode

I enjoyed Sounds of the sixties with Brian Matthew as Presenter and its a shame he wasn't able to continue on it but I think Tony Blackburn is a good replacement.

At least he is genuinely interested in the music, the show he has been doing recently on Friday evenings at 7pm has been good I think.

I think overall Radio 2 does a good job of playing music that appeals to a wide age group, if it were to keep to the same sort of format and music as in the late sixties/70s it wouldn't be doing that in my opinion.

Not a good sign that its being put back to 6am though.
Steve.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 1:43 pm   #40
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Considering they let Alan Keith die in harness, long past his competence, they might have let Brian go in his own time.
Alan had made up his own mind to retire, he recorded his final programme (he used to present it live) and signed-off, he just happened to die before it was broadcast.
Closed Thread