UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2016, 8:27 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Book: "Radio Servicing theory and practice" by Abraham Marcus.

A while back I put the word out round the local charity-shops that I was interested in any 'radio-related' books that may come their way. This recently yielded me a 1946 ARRL handbook, and today I got this new one [see photo].

Published by George Allen and Unwin, there's 770 pages of useful stuff; mine's the second edition (1958) and it cost 50 Shillings new. I got it for 50p. It's a US book so goes extensively into AC/DC supplies running off 117V, line-cords and suchlike. it also uses some quaint terms like "micromicrofarads" when referring to capacitor values.

There's a passing mention of transistors! Indeed, a reference to a "lab development" audio transistor that can handle 20 Watts.

Overall it gives some rather handy tips on servicing and use of test-gear for fault finding. You'll find quite a bit of familiar stuff here - like using a neon in series with a capacitor to test for leakage. if you come across a copy of this book then spring 50p and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	132962  
Old 18th Nov 2016, 9:30 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Book: "Radio Servicing theory and practice" by Abraham Marcus.

On a similar vein, and 50p cheaper, I've just stumbled upon a book called "Probes" which is mid-1950's USA, over 200 pages and all about the use of diode probes in servicing, probably of most interest to relative beginners. It's a 43MB download from http://www.tubebooks.org/books/zucconi_probes.pdf.

The term "vtvm" is used throughout but never defined; it refers to "vacuum tube voltmeter", but if you don't have one, modern digital multimeters will probably have a sufficiently high impedance to do the same job.

B
Closed Thread