UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2016, 10:17 am   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default The name "Ecko"

What is the orig of the name Ecko, can anyone tell me? Is it s deliberate mis-spelling or is it perhaps Dutch spelling? Or is it far more arcane and merely the initials of Ernie, Charlie, ken and Orville who ran the place?

David
Old 1st Nov 2016, 10:20 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: The name "Ecko"

It's Ekco. E.K. Cole.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 10:42 am   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Eric Kirkham Cole
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EKCO

I think the former Ekco factory is now the Access credit-card offices.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 11:22 am   #4
G4YVM David
Heptode

Ah! Thank you.
I would never have actually got that!
David
Old 1st Nov 2016, 12:14 pm   #5
Rejectostat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
WERE the Access credit-card offices. The buildings have since been demolished, I believe it is a housing estate there now (last time I was there demolition was in progress).

John.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 2:59 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

In any case, 'Access' became Mastercard twenty years ago.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 3:28 pm   #7
Station X

I can recollect seeing Ecko (note spelling) radios. Presumably Ekco didn't register the alternative spelling as a trademark and someone cashed in on the name.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 3:31 pm   #8

Quote:
I believe it is a housing estate there now
I hope they named the streets after EKCO radios. The site of the old Miles aircraft factory/runway in Woodley (nr. Reading) has many roads named after aircraft and people, one is Bader Way.

Old 1st Nov 2016, 4:40 pm   #9
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I can recollect seeing Ecko (note spelling) radios. Presumably Ekco didn't register the alternative spelling as a trademark and someone cashed in on the name.
Nice one. In a village close to me there is an excellent retailer called Roberts Radio - why not, it is his name!
Old 1st Nov 2016, 7:21 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmw0sec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Nice one. In a village close to me there is an excellent retailer called Roberts Radio - why not, it is his name!
Well, you'd think so.. McDonalds have taken people to court for using their own family name above a restaurant. Here's a few cases that they didn't win, taken from a Wikipedia page (link below):

From the early 1960s to the mid-1980s, Norman McDonald ran a small "Country Drive-Inn" restaurant in Philpot, Kentucky called simply "McDonald's Hamburgers; Country Drive-Inn", which at the time also had a gas station and convenience store. McDonald's the restaurant chain forced Norman to remove the arches and add the full Norman McDonald's name to its sign so customers would not be confused into thinking the restaurant was affiliated with the McDonald's restaurant chain. The restaurant is still open to this day (though it no longer has the gas station).

McDonald's filed a lawsuit against MacDonald's Family Restaurant, located in Grand Cayman. McDonald's lost the case, and in addition, was banned from ever opening a McDonald's location on Grand Cayman. This ruling still stands today.

The company waged an unsuccessful 32-year legal action against McDonald's Family Restaurant which was opened by a man legally named Ronald McDonald in Fairbury, Illinois in 1956. Mr. McDonald ultimately continued to use his name on his restaurant, despite objections by the franchise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s_legal_cases
Old 1st Nov 2016, 8:22 pm   #11
The Philpott
Dekatron

Metro Goldwyn Mayer tried to sue a garage owner in the uk over his garage name of MGM.- i think they failed. Also Redwell brewery were squeezed by Red Bull and asked to commit to never market energy drinks as they thought the name too similar to their own. I tend to think that these days marketing and legal bods try to justify their existence on slow days by generating problems that don't exist. Sad state of affairs
Old 1st Nov 2016, 8:27 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Interesting that Ecko did exist! I'll look out for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I hope they named the streets after EKCO radios.
Such as the London-Eastbourne road, called the A22?
Old 1st Nov 2016, 8:33 pm   #13
sexton_mallard
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejectostat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
WERE the Access credit-card offices. The buildings have since been demolished, I believe it is a housing estate there now (last time I was there demolition was in progress).

John.
I worked on this site in the late 80s for Midland Bank credit cards. The front office still had the wooden boardroom panelling and Ekco still existed in some form as Ekco plastics on a part of the site. I remember car bumpers being manufactured. The sports and social club I think is still going strong today - http://www.ekco.club/

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 1st Nov 2016 at 8:49 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 8:42 pm   #14

Quote:
Such as the London-Eastbourne road, called the A22
Brilliant!

Old 1st Nov 2016, 9:28 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

There's also a brand of far eastern audio equipment called 'Ekho'.

Courts are generally only interested if a similar name might be mistaken for a more established brand or if there's an obvious attempt to copy. So if a company called Philips started selling luxury sausage rolls with a bright pink logo I think that would be ok, but they would probably rule against a company called Phillisp if they started making clock radios with a logo or typeface resembling that of Koninklijke Philips N.V

The old Ekco mouldings company was seperated from the Pye/Philips conglomerate and was taken over by Linconshire Packaging (aka Linpac). I used to go up to their factory in Cheshire. They made plastic patio chairs, extrusions for UPVC windows and wheelie bins, though they make much more across their other factories. The last time I was there about 5 years ago they were also turning out casings for Qualcast lawn mowers and under-bed storage boxes.
Old 1st Nov 2016, 9:54 pm   #16
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
The old Ekco mouldings company ... under-bed storage boxes.
That's appropriate for the many people here who have lots of stuff to store under beds.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 2:04 pm   #17
bikerhifinut
Octode

Isn't the Ekco brand now owned by IAG in China? I seem to remember a valve amp being reviewed a couple of years back in one of the hi fi comics, with the Ecko brand name.

edit. I found it the Ecko EV55 integrated using KT88 output valves.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 2:58 pm   #18
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
'...and was taken over by Linconshire Packaging (aka Linpac). I used to go up to their factory in Cheshire. They made plastic patio chairs, extrusions for UPVC windows and wheelie bins...'
They also made 2-cell signal torches for NATO - those green right-angled ones with colour filters secured under the screw cap, but that's another story and a different thread!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 3:39 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Metro Goldwyn Mayer tried to sue a garage owner in the uk over his garage name of MGM.- i think they failed. Also Redwell brewery were squeezed by Red Bull and asked to commit to never market energy drinks as they thought the name too similar to their own. I tend to think that these days marketing and legal bods try to justify their existence on slow days by generating problems that don't exist. Sad state of affairs
My sadly deceased friend Mel Galley who played in Trapeze and Whitesnake formed a band with other Whitesnake members Bernie Marsden and Neil Murray called MGM. To my knowledge they were not hassled by Metro Goldwyn Mayer.