UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2016, 2:06 pm   #1
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default BBC TV service 80th anniversary programme

Forgive me if anyone else has posted this but last evening I spotted an advanced trail for a BBC 4 programme reconstructing the opening night of the TV service in 1936. It was listed as a 'coming attraction', no TX date given but perhaps we could all keep a watch to ensure it doesn't slip by un-noticed.
Old 20th Oct 2016, 5:33 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: BBC TV service 80th anniversary programme

Missed that Nick and I'm usually on BBC4-in fact I recorded the Severn Bridge program last night. As the TVService began on November 2nd 1936, I suspect it will be around that date next month. I suppose it will feature the young woman singing about "magic rays" again but at least they managed to keep that bit of Broadcasting History Rare Pink Floyd footage tomorrow at 9pm. BBC4 Love It!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Oct 2016 at 5:51 pm.
Old 20th Oct 2016, 7:26 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

There was a preview event at the BFI on Tuesday this week, which I attended. One of their ideas was to try to re-create the original Baird "Spotlight Studio", a 240-line mechanical television announcer's booth.

I won't spoil it now by saying how things actually turned out, but it will definitely be worth a watch! To be transmitted on November 2nd or November 4th on BBC4, I think.

Steve
Old 20th Oct 2016, 7:28 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

In my archives I have a copy of original film with the lady on.Adele Dixon it was.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 11:17 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Was trailed yesterday as being on BBC4 on 2nd November. 8pm ISTR.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Oct 2016, 4:08 pm   #6
Nicklyons2
Octode

Thanks to Chris for the TX date & time. I wonder what aspect ratio it'll be transmitted in? I suppose 16:9 but really they should have a 4:3 night. It would be a good excuse to show "Television Comes to London", "This is the BBC" and "The Colour Receiver Installation Film" etc. Let's hope there's a good singer playing Adele Dixon as a fitting tribute.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 5:08 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Wasn't the 1936 aspect ratio 5:4?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Oct 2016, 5:51 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

In 1949 it was still 5:4, at the beginning I'm not absolutely sure, an article here might shed some light:

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2006/...broader_aspect

Lawrence.
Old 21st Oct 2016, 6:53 pm   #9

I have a copy of 'Fools On The Hill' from the BBC 50th, great fun, it's on youtube.
Quote:
I wonder what aspect ratio it'll be transmitted in? I suppose 16:9 but really they should have a 4:3 night
It (and much more 4:3 stuff) is clipped (not the edge stretching thing) to 16:9 on my 'media server', I like it better as it fills the TV screen, 4:3 on the 16:9 looks too tall. Never had a problem missing bits apart from the odd title section.

I am going to watch it for sure, maybe record it too on a weeny USB stick using a box no bigger than a small cigar case. That is if I can work out the menu system, I only use it for radio from freeview. How things have changed in 80 years!

Old 21st Oct 2016, 8:29 pm   #10
bobsterkent
Hexode

a link to it in the radio times:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...ars-to-the-day
Old 22nd Oct 2016, 12:49 am   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That Transdiffusion link from Lawrence is very interesting. I've referred to that site before but had forgotten/not grasped the multi format debate. It's just another mystery around JLB to me. You can pick up the differences with an engineering background more easily I suppose and they are obvious once you study the Test Cards but I suspect the average viewer doesn't worry about stretch or height effects to thaty extent. I certainly don't if it's something vintage or rare-content not process.

I experimented with the Floyd Program on BBC4 tonight but despite a few different aspect settings it stuck resolutely to 4:3 in the main. Is that a problem? No and in fact that's how I would have viewed it originally had it been Broadcast by the Beeb-most of it wasn't. The first item I definetely did see on BBC1 [there was only one] back then as an amazing insert within the dry as dust Monitor Arts Program-on a Sunday night, just before the epilogue! It was 4:3 and B+W [then]. There's a lot of variation in what we tolerate now so at the dawn of TV is no wonder that they largely followed on from the cinematic models in use or reached towards it [if even if the available CRT technology really wasn't that appropriate for years]. Conversely, I used to enjoy the occasional film in 16:9 during the eighties but there was always some "clown" writing in to complain that he didn't pay his license fee for bits of blank screen so they didn't do it very often

Dave W
Closed Thread