UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2016, 5:06 pm   #41
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Dismantling Evo-stik'd parts

You can get dichloromethane (under the name 'Plastic Weld') from 4D Model Shop (in London, near the Tower, and they have a web site) either in 57ml bottles or 500ml cans, the latter being less than 4 times the price of the former.

See here :

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Adhesive...-500ml/ITM5061
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 4:20 pm   #42
WME_bill
Octode

Thanks to TonyDuell for Dichloromethane source. I will try my local model shops here in Exeter or Bristol I think before venturing to the Tower of London. Bit of a risk as they might clap me in that building for breach of Health and Safety . wme_bill
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 6:00 pm   #43
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There used to be a chain of model shops in the West Country called 'Antics'. I have no idea if they are still going, but I think there was one in Bristol and one in either Cheltenham or Gloucester. They might well sell Plastic Weld but only in the 57ml bottles. I do remember getting silicone rubber tubing from them about 25 years ago.

4D Model Shop are not going to moan about H&S. Although it doesn't really cater for radio restorers (their main market is people making architectural models) they are happy to sell to anyone. It's the sort of place whre if you buy a 1m length of plastic rod they will lend you a hacksaw to chop it in half to get it home, not worrying that you might cut yourself with said hacksaw (this happened to me).

It's well worth poking around on their site. They sell some odd things. One example : I needed some perforated aluminium sheet to make a speaker grille for an old (discrete transistors) telephone answering machine I was restoring. They had an almost indentical material in stock. OK, I had to buy more than I needed (but not a ridiculous amount, perhaps 50cm * 25cm) but they had it.
Old 23rd Oct 2016, 7:01 pm   #44
pmmunro
Octode

This thermal technique might be worth considering https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/...s/iOpener.html

PMM
Closed Thread